Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Warner's trip to Kalkan  (Read 2956 times)

Offline The Warners

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Warner's trip to Kalkan
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »

We've been back for three days now so here goes my report....

We arrived at Dalaman airport in the early hours (16th) ready to join the huge queues for visa and passport checks, surprisingly it was very straight forward and we collected our cases in record time. We headed out to find our transfer which didn't arrive for another 45 mins - not a good start! After a very speedy and somewhat nail biting journey we arrived at our destination "Villa Emine" up in the mountains around 3.30am. Jimmy the owner greeted us and showed us around the place. It was very dark but what we could see looked lovely. The harbour twinkled up at us!

We awoke to incredible views of Kalkan, the villa was high up and we (hubby, father in law and me) started the long walk  into town. It didn't take that long as it happens, just a few steep hills.

Our first meal was at Kosh, we received top class service and beautiful food. We tried The Corner, Ozi (a little shack at the top of our road, fab pizza's), Alibaba, Saffron (incredible views), The Old Trading House, Sultan and another above sultan but not sure of the name. Prices varied but it was still very cheap.

The weather was very hot, a bit too hot to be honest. My 8 year old found it unbearable and spent most of the time inside in the air-con room. The pool was a welcome refresher after the scorching sun.

The visit to the Market was an experience! The haggling gives me the willies, so I left that to the OH and got myself a lovely genuine fake Gucci bag and CC purse. We also bought towels, nuts, wallets and watches. The men had us in stitches with their shouts " buy one get one same price!" "cheaper than primark!"

Unfortunately I arrived in Kalkan suffering with sciatica and back pain which got worse half way through the holiday. We visited the pharmacy who were very helpful but the best part of my holiday was my visits to the Turkish Baths. Me and the mother in law had a Turkish Bath with Mimi which was lovely, although the cold water at the end was a bit of a shock!
I had a massage everyday for the next 4 days which helped enormously.

The oldies thought it was too hilly and we used taxis almost every day, I didn't mind since I struggled to walk anyway. Each journey cost around 7TL. We tended to use the same one and sent a text each time we needed one.

The dogs roaming around were no bother at all, apart from the barking and howling at night. We had two visiting cats to the villa and saw a few in the restaurants. Gino from the corner particularly enjoyed my left over sirloin steak!!

Kalkan is beautiful and people were so polite and welcoming, I thought the whole atmosphere was wonderful and would recommend it to others without hesitation.

I just wish I had been 100% fit to enjoy it properly.

All the best,
The Warners  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8467.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
Re: The Warner's trip to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
Glad you enjoyed yourselves in spite of your back problems. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
Hi, I really enjoyed reading your report. Sorry you had a bad back, my OH can certainly sympathise/empathise with you. Glad you enjoyed Kalkan, it's a lovely place.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Great report, glad you had a good time despite your back problem. Unfortunately my OH has done his back in this week and we're flying out to Kalkan early Monday morning.  Looks like I'll be struggling with the cases, should be interesting as I can't normally pick them up to get them on the trolley even as I'm only a little 'un. Apart from that I really hope it'll improve as he loves to be on the go all the time especially out in the jeep exploring which is usually so bumpy it can even give me a dodgy back,  mind you we're quite lucky as our villa is just off the bottom of the Kalamar road only a few minutes from the village so not far to walk but failing that we'll be doing like yourself and hiring taxis and maybe I'll take him for a massage  :D Cheers hope you're getting better!

Offline The Warners

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
I would highly recommend a massage. I had the full Turkish Bath, body massage and face mask.
The masseuse recommended at least 3 extra medical massages and Mimi gave me a discounted price. I think I had 4 more in total and they were definitely worth it.

When I  got back home I went to the Dr and he diagnosed sacroiliac joint dysfunction.

If you are on your way out I hope you have a wonderful time!

The Warners

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant and boat trip reviews from our recent trip....

Started by elainecris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 07:37:19 PM
by Skunk
xx
Kekova trip and jeep safari trip?

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 05:59:12 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
recycled
Our first trip to Kalkan

Started by Tinsletravellers on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 06:43:53 PM
by ScotsinKalkan
xx
Trip from Kalkan

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 08:54:01 AM
by Sandancer

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tranquility!

Views: 2456
By: headroom
Kalkan shopping.JPG