Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Toilet paper and septic tanks  (Read 6620 times)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Toilet paper and septic tanks
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
A necessary but unsavoury topic i know..!!   :o

What do other villa/apartment owners do regarding toilet paper (if you have a septic tank) - do you flush it down the toilet or do you put in toilet bins?  Do you have notices to this effect in your property and do people (particularly english take any notice of this)?

Having had our property for nearly 2 years now - we have just been told that we should be disposing of toilet paper in toilet bins and not flushed down the toilet.  I know this is fairly common practice in turkey - but is it REALLY necessary?  Friends and family in this country and abroad who have had septic tanks have always allowed natural waste AND toilet paper ONLY to be flushed down - so why should septic tanks in turkey be any different?  Also - is there anything we should be putting down in order for the septic tank to digest the toilet paper that is already down there and what is likely outcome of continuing to do as we have been doing - can they be emptied...??

Looking forward to your inspired responses (and some humour from Blue Lizard of course  ;D ;D)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1022.0
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Toilet paper and septic tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »
Think you''''ll find it has something to do with the size of the pipes used and not the tank. With main sewage pipes being installed at the moment the situation should change in the not too distant future.  Several friends of our DO have notices up in their bathrooms where they still have the tanks, and as we have been given to understand, unless you have been told that you are connected to the mains you should continue to use the waste bins.
 Its not just Turkey that have this practise but also Greece.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:33:01 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:16:12 PM »
Perhaps putting toilet paper in the bin is one of the laws that the local Jendarma have been lax in enforcing at Felicity''s villa?  ;D

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
Did wonder why they were up in the area a few weeks ago  :o

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
The notices and signs in all the Hotels, bars and restaurants asking people not to put paper down the toilets are there for a good reason. The waste pipes leading to the sewers are narrow and easily block causing lots of problems. Whilst they are replacing the sewers, they are not replacing the waste pipes from individual facilities to the main sewers.
Use the bins, it is better to be safe than subject your guests and yourselves to an obnoxious back-up and a call-out to the plumber!!!

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
What JoanH is saying is right, the waste pipes to the toilet tanks are often narrow, and toilet paper, nappies etc blocks them (yeuchh!)

But it''s not just that - unless of course, some of you folks with new villas have had proper septic tanks installed, Kalkan doesn''t have septic tanks, as you may (or may not!) be used to in Britain, where anaerobic bacteria produce an environment where the waste is digested
It has toilettanks, which are just holes in the ground, which fill up and are then emptied by tanker.
There is no decomposition of the wastes in them.

So if you have a tank, you don''t want any more put down it than is absolutely necessary, because you really, really do not want it clogged and blocked!!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
thank you all for your responses so far - so it looks like to me that the problem is narrow pipes and toilettanks (as Vicksen says) and not septic tanks - which answers my questions - i will have to amend my notices and instructions..!!

Cheers!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

sad
Septic tanks

Started by limetree on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 11:06:21 PM
by teke
question
Paper Moon Hotel

Started by IanTrishinHull on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 06:32:55 PM
by alpheus77
xx
Re: MUSIC at Paper Moon?

Started by kalkanchris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 09:00:32 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Paper Moon Hotel Info

Started by kalkaness on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 05:36:35 PM
by kalkanlover22

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal