Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: One stop shopping  (Read 4841 times)

Offline haluk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
One stop shopping
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:16:04 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the name of the local lawyer. Someone mentioned he''s offering a one-stop shop: as builder, estate agent and conveyancer for villas. How very convenient if you''re in the UK & don''t have a lot of time to bring together all the different parties. Especially given how complicated property purchases seem to be over here. I wish I could find lawyers like that in England.

Thanks in advance

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1826.0

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Re: One stop shopping
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
Although it would be convenient, it is a very bad idea to use a lawyer who acts for all parties, there would obviously be a conflict of interest. I would strongly advise you to find a lawyer that is completely independent of the builder/developer if you plan to buy any property abroad or in the UK. Hopefully someone on the forum will be able to advise you.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
I agree it is a terrible idea. How can they give you independent legal advice if they are selling you the property as an estate agent. The law firm in Fethyie called Everything Legal are very good and you can get their contact details by putting them in the search area at the top of the page.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
It would be very very very unwise to employ any Advocat in Kalkan - take Kalkan Regular''s advice and find someone in Fethiye.
Ask around and ask people their experiences before choosing as lawyers in Turkey are completely different to those in the UK-and do everything with them in writing [although they can ignore your instructions if they wish -strange or what ?  ::)

Offline haluk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
Thanks for your prompt replies. Let me just make a couple of clarifying points.

First, I''m not retired so holiday time is precious. I''d like to buy a holiday home for the long term - Kalkan is an obvious choice for obvious reasons. And I''m likely to be visiting the place for (I hope) many years to come - so it seems to make sense to buy, rather than forking out for hotel bills year after year - to say nothing of the long term investment potential. But because holiday time is precious, I''d hate to have to trapse over to Fethiye chasing after a lawyer. It would be convenient to visit one down the road in Kalkan.

Second, Kalkan''s obviously a small community and, much like in the UK, local businesses develop a reputation (word of mouth) quickly. Since there only seem to be a couple of lawyers in town, it wouldn''t be hard to figure out whether they''re any good or not, based on what people are saying. Obviously if they don''t have a good reputation I wouldn''t even consider using them (let alone buying a villa from them), but I''m hoping that''s not the case. Though the replies I''ve seen so far don''t seem too encouraging on that point ...

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
Hi Haluk

I take your point about using locally to save time on travelling - but you should also think about your budget as well and check out prices - you may well find that prices for services in Kalkan are not comparable to those in Fethiye or elsewhere - in a similar way as property prices seem to be higher in kalkan than elsewhere.  We actually used Alpaslan Gunal for our conveyancing and we were very happy with his services - however I would NOT have been happy for him to be acting as Estate Agent, Builder and lawyer rolled into one.  However for our wills we decided to use Everything legal in Fethiye - who did everything in the space of a few short hours.  They use e-mail and speak excellent english and were VERY efficient (as are most people in Turkey!!) - so I don''t think you should have need to keep traipsing to Fethiye to chase them...  Both these lawyers/companies have been recommended on this forum in the past (if you do a search then you should find the various threads) but I still would NOT advise using a multitasking Advocat - too much conflict of interest......

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
Fethiye is only an hour from Kalkan and it would be time very well spent going there

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Many people buying a home in Kalkan are working and so have limited holidays. It is however a big investsment and I'' d rather spend half a day in Fethyie than take a chance with a one stop shop lawyer. We found the process a lot less trouble than buying in England.

Offline haluk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
Thanks to all of you who have commented. I had a chance to look through other forum pages in more detail, and have come to the conclusion that legal services in Kalkan are definitely to be avoided. The local lawyer certainly seems pretty touchy - even to the point of threatening to sue half his client base for daring to speak their minds about him. He clearly doesn''t know which side his bread is buttered on!!

I shall be joining the queue of Brits to Fethiye!

PS This is a great forum for info mining - congratulations to the designers.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
There are excellent legal services available in Kas. Our lawyer is a woman with a wealth of experience, particularly well versed in all matters regarding property and she does all the other legal things Brits might want such as wills. Her English is of the highest standard .

Her name is Alev Hafifbilek  Phone 0242 836 1880, mobile 0532 345 7492  e mail address haceralev@yahoo.com

I would recommend her without reservation

Lantana

Offline haluk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
Thanks. I''ve received some mixed views about lawyers in Kas, but I''ll make a note of this lady''s details. There are certainly more of them than in Kalkan, which seems a good thing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The first stop is..........

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

22 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 12:13:45 PM
by JayneyG
xx
stop off

Started by johnl on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 10:38:13 PM
by Johnjen
xx
Stop Complaining Please!!

Started by stokey brian on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 09:51:30 PM
by Charlie
xx
Stop Over En Route to Kalkan

Started by Bob & Jayne on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:34:41 AM
by headroom

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal