Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 mins from town or kalamar bay?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline mabel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
10 mins from town or kalamar bay?
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:09:34 AM »
Hi, we are visiting Kalkan for the first time in June. We are two families with 5 kids between us age 6 to 14. We have narrowed down available villas to 2 - one is 10 mins from the old town and own is 5 mins from kalamar bay. Which would you recommend? Can't decide if it is better to be near the beach or near the town. The kalamar bay villa claims to be 20 minute walk from town...Also, my daughter turns 14 on our first day there, can you recommend a good restaurant to celebrate and would I need to contact in advance to arrange a cake? Sorry such a long post!! All advice much  appreciated.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5042.0

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
Re: 10 mins from town or kalamar bay?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:18:32 AM »
Kalamar bay can be a tough walk in the heat,more so on the way back from town,the town and the beach are at the same place,the beach is at one side of the town,kalamar has beach clubs which are platforms down by the water.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
if you stay near the town then you have a choice of the town beach or free water taxis to the beach clubs......you can also get a free taxi to Kalamar......because even if you were quite close the walk back to your villa would be really steep

there are lots of threads with information about restaurants on this forum.....and there are so many to choose from....enjoy! :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:11:55 AM »
Mabel, my own personal opinion would be to stay closer to Kalkan centre. As Babs says you have more choice - town beach or free water taxis to other beach clubs/free taxi to Kalamar. Kalamar tends to be the beach club favoured by the younger ones, but in all honesty it would be better to take a free taxi there everyday and have the restaurants and bars of Kalkan a bit closer of an evening....especially if you don't want to be spending Efes money on taxis ;D ;D
If you type "birthday" in the search facility, you will find some posts regarding members' experiences of their birthdays including their choice of restautants.
I'm sure you will have a fantastic time..and June is a great month to holiday in Kalkan :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:50:53 AM »
I would go for town - especially as 'on the beach' in Kalkan probably isn't an what you'd normally imagine it to be.

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
Town everytime for me I couldnt imagin that slog to Kalamar after a meal and a few effes although I know people do it. You would also be close to the dolmus station for trips to Patara beach. And as others have said you can get free water taxis from the harbour to the Beach Clubs.
Restaurant for a family birthday? has to be Kaya with the magic show.

M

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:30:59 AM »
Hi Mabel - t might just be worth checking what '10 mins from town' means exactly.  The first time I visited the villa was described as '10 minutes downhill to the town' - it was a good 25 mins to the harbour, including a scramble down some very steep unmade roads!  We ended up having to use taxis all the time.  Do you have a description of the location? 

Offline mabel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
It is in the Orta alan area I think..? Have booked it today instead of the Kalamar Bay as the general opinion on here seems to be in town rather than out. Hopefully will be OK, looks like a lovely villa anyway!
Thank you everyone for the advice, am really looking forward to our holiday in Kalkan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
Mabel..do you have a link to your villa?..perhaps we can identify it from the views?.....

Kaya for Birthday & kids ...Kadir Magician is good...pre book your cake etc a couple of days before ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 01:23:46 AM »
I think the villa (which looks lovely) is set off the Kalamar Road slightly on the hillside to the right of the road.  There is a cake shop at the beginning of Kalamar Road and if you called in there the day you arrive I'm sure they would have one for you that evening.  It is probably worth taking some type of 'Happy Birthday' decoration and candles for the top of it.  Having said that, many times I've carried an M&S birthday cake in my hand luggage! I'm sure your daughter will have a wonderful birthday in Kalkan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:58:29 AM by Charlie »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 01:27:35 AM »
The location looks to be to the right of Kalamar road walking towards Kalamar....(turning by Chinese leads up there)..probably 10 mins walk to top of village but more going back due to slight incline.....

you could always pop into the cake shop when you get up. Nur patesserie is up past kaya on the way to the market..then possibly see Erol and Kadir on the way back with your cake...they are helpful  ;)

JODARUYA

JODARUYA
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
Just seen this post and appreciate that you have already booked your villa.
However it is my opinion that most people who come to Kalkan never venture up the Kalamar Road and are missing out on the best part of Kalkan.
We have stayed in the Pirat Hotel at the harbour the Mediterranean apartments in town, a couple of villas up by the secondary school and the Ekin Han Hotel at the end of the Kalamar road.
Bought our plot of land in 2004 and had our villa built overlooking Kalamar Bay and have never regretted that decision. The peace and tranquility of Kalamar is made all the better knowing that just over the hill is all that Kalkan village has to offer.
If any one else is wondering what to do I would recommend Kalamar every time.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Two familys with 5 kids means 2 taxis for those times a walk is too hot!! if i lived in Kalkan i might  choose Kalamar because i would have a car...but for hols/visits i like nearer the village..but each to there own ;)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
I agree entirely with Blue Lizard....which is why our accommodation hunt was getting so desperate last weekend....with two teenagers in tow we wanted to be within a short walk of the town.....and for us 'grown ups' not having to drive means we are able to enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner and then totter home :laugh:

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
Yes Babs,you're absolutely right, you know what they say about location location location. You don't want to be in the wrong location and find that you don't like it there or that it doesn't suit your needs, and it's very difficult to know you're in the wrong location, especially if you think it's the right location before you get there, sometimes some places seem idyllic and then you go round your friends house and wished that you lived there, even though it's not yours because it has a better view of the sea or a bigger garden.
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
local transport - Kalamar/Town dolmus

Started by jacqueline on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 10:11:23 AM
by kalkan4eva
moved
MOVED: local transport - Kalamar/Town dolmus

Started by jacqueline on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 09:59:08 AM
by jacqueline
xx
Topaz- a nice alternative along the Kalamar road to going into town.

Started by Hobbit on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 02:28:29 PM
by onelove
smiley
kalamar bay

Started by krago1 on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 02:26:11 PM
by fidimax

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Koton cat

Views: 3190
By: saskia
Kalkan Harbour