Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: alcohol query?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline ao1969

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
alcohol query?
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
Hi Everyone

Just two quick questions.

What are the age laws for drinking alcohol? My 17 year old is by no means a big drinker (unlike her Mum!!..only jesting) but she quite likes a glass of wine or 1/2 a shandy if we are eating out. Will this be an issue?

We are staying in Kisla which means we will probably drive into Kalkan most evenings to eat. My OH will be driving and might like to have one drink. Are the drink driving laws similar to the UK or should he abstain completely.

Thanks very much

Sarah

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5986.0

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: alcohol query?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
your 17 year old should have no problem getting a drink.

it is supposed to be zero tolerence for driving and drinking but in 10 years of owning a place in kalkan we have only seen it enforced once. that was about two years ago when the police were stopping nearly everyone in a hire car.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »
I'm sure if your daughter looks old enough to drink and you're happy to allow it, there won't be a problem. As for the drink driving limits, my understanding is that if you are carrying passengers you must not drink at all. When we were there last month, there were a lot of road blocks to catch drivers - one even by Yali supermarket right in town - so you would really need not to chance it.
Enjoy your stay  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
The drink driving law is strictly enforced and the fine is 600 lira. If you have a passenger in the car you are not permitted any alcohol at all.

There are regular checks by the Jandarma.  It is really not worth trying to flout the law.  If by any chance your husband was involved in an accident, no matter how trivial he would be automatically breathalysed and if he had alcohol in his bloodstream, he could be jailed - for 30 days.

If the accident was serious, the punishment  would be much more severe and jail would be automatic.

Will

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »

As I understand it, new laws were introduced in 2005. At 16 years of age they are allowed to drink non-distilled beverages while being accompanied by parents, but you have to be over 18 to buy alcohol.
So, you can buy a drink or two for your daughter.
If your husband is intending to drive you all home, then he cannot have any alcohol at all.

Offline ao1969

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
Thanks everyone - this forum is such a mine of information! Its been invaluable so thanks again for everyones input both past & present.

I've just re-read my post and it might have appeared like we are raging alcoholics. I assure you we are not but I just wanted to be sure.

Myt daughter's not a drinker as such and she does only drink with adult supervision or at least i hope she does!!!. However, she is very keen not to be seen as one of the kids and likes to associate herself with the adults. I think she thinks by having a galss of wine she will not be presented with the childrens menu or put on the kiddies table.

I think i shall advise my hubby not to take a chance!

thanks again

Sarah

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Air Con Query

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 07:58:26 AM
by MartynE
xx
180 Day Visa Query

Started by Ashley on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 08:12:42 PM
by Chucky
xx
Accomodation query

Started by SueBuzz on Accommodation and Hotels

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 06:37:49 PM
by littlelin
xx
Furniture Query

Started by CAW on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 01:05:10 PM
by Roxie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal