Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Beware of scam ads on Ownersdirect and Holidaylettings  (Read 3542 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Beware of scam ads on Ownersdirect and Holidaylettings
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
Ladies and gents, I want to bring your attention to a rather disturbing situation regarding some online holiday rental booking operations.
The Kalkan accommodation rental company that I run (I will not advertise the name here) has agreements with several villa owners to offer their properties exclusively on our website; we hold the calendars for these properties, and if the owner receives any enquiries from other sources, they check with us to make sure the calendar is clear before accepting any bookings that we are not involved with. This ensures no double bookings.
As part of the service, in most cases we also place a listing for the property on Holidaylettings/Tripadvisor and on Ownersdirect/HomeAway under our agency agreement (unless the owner wishes to place their own listing on these sites).
Increasingly, however, we have seen cases where duplicate listings have appeared on both Ownersdirect and on Holidaylettings that were neither put there by ourselves, nor the owners! The calendars for these listings are not up to date and, in some cases, have completely different prices from those agreed with the owner. It seems that these companies have simply copied photos and text from our existing listings, and have created duplicate listings using their own contact details. We can only assume that the purpose of this is fraudulent and is intended to scam people out of money. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any mechanism in place for either Ownersdirect or Holidaylettings to check for duplicate listings in this way. Although we report them, it can take a long time to resolve - assuming we can actually get through to Ownersdirect or Holidaylettings in the first place.
The particular companies that we have had trouble with are Flat4Day and TravelOpo. In some cases the manager is listed as "Russell or David"
Please be vigilant and be very careful before booking any property through either of these companies on Ownersdirect or Holidaylettings; you may well lose your money and turn up in Kalkan only to find your property has already been booked to someone else, with the owner having absolutely no knowledge of your booking.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13629.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Beware of scam ads on Ownersdirect and Holidaylettings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
Thanks Martyn, really helpful info
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline EmeryC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Beware of scam ads on Ownersdirect and Holidaylettings
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »

Thanks for the warning.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:43:24 AM by EmeryC »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another scam - beware of rental requests from a Micheal Paul

Started by felicity on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:00:51 PM
by misty
xx
HolidayLettings changes (and issues)

Started by hobbo on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 11:51:07 PM
by MartynE
xx
Holidaylettings Free Listings

Started by Charlie on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 07:13:26 PM
by Anne
xx
Ownersdirect - another rip-off

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

35 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 10:02:58 PM
by AgainstGossip

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal