Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you remember your first time?!  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Do you remember your first time?!
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
How do you remember your first time in Kalkan.......... It was my first time in Turkey and I remember spending the transfer taking in the scenery (when my eyes werent closed on the mountain road before the tunnel was built!), then the stunning view as you start to drop down into Kalkan.

As soon as I saw the harbour I knew I was going somewhere special.........

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Do you remember your first time?!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 08:04:05 AM »
My first trip to Kalkan was in 2001, Sept 15th, just four days after "9/11"!! Family and friend were worried and some even suggested that we should cancel our trip.

We were not to be put off however and decided to go.There was chaos at Gatwick, with heightened security and flights to the US resuming the morning that we flew out after a five hour delay.

Arrived at Dalaman tired and stressed and then the transfer to Kalkan was another 2 hours 20. And then as we came around the top road we saw Kalkan below all lit up.......breathtaking!!! [I still have that same reaction now after 9 visits].

We spent most of our first day fielding questions from holiday makers already in Kalkan, about the situation in the US and the reactions at home. Everyone was clammering for newspapers that we had brought with us. What an unusual way to break the ice and make new friends....some of whom we have seen every year since on our return.

Then we discovered that we had indeed made the right choice as we spent the next two weeks sampling the delights of Kalkan. It was the best holiday we had ever had and we have been back each year since at least once a year to start with and then more often as time has gone by. It never disapoints and I can't wait for our next visit......very soon!

Jo

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
Our first time was in 1997.It was our first holiday without our son who had eventually outgrown going with us at 19 years of age.As Jon says the first sight of Kalkan from the top of the hill was jaw opening.we had booked a one bedroom apartment at the Samira,but due to some error we got a studio apartment.The management at the Samira were very apologetic & we had the choice of a partial refund or free half board at the Kosk.We took up the half board offer & were delighted.I think I went thru the entire menu.The problem with this of course is that we did not discover the culinary delights of Kalkan until our second visit two years later.And what delights they are.Of all the places I have been in my lifetime,Kalkan stands out as the best for restaurants & local people.We tended to alternate for a few years going somewhere else one year & Kalkan the next,but the trouble is we always compared whereever we were to Kalkan & there really was no comparison.We had tried to get our friends to come with us for a few years but I don't think they really believed what we told them about Kalkan.We finally managed to get them to come with us last year & guess what,they are coming with us again this year (our seventh trip)Lets hope the magic of the place lasts for ever.

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
Our 1st time in Kalkan was in 1997 and I remember 2 things vividly!  The plane arrived at Dalaman just as the captain annouced that our luggage was on its way to Greece...!!  Shock horror, what was I going to do without my shoes, clothes, smellies, hair thingies and all those luxury items we cannot do without!  Four days went by...travel co were excellent and gave us money to buy essentials, but 10 years ago you couldn't find clothes, bikinis, toiletries, sun tan creams etc at all!  Hardly any shops as we know them now...so we borrowed from other hotel guests and found Josef the tailor to make us shorts and shirts, which we lived in for four days and nights!  However...this is when we made the friendships that have lasted until now, by appreciating the generosity and helpfulness everyone showed to us.  I did moan though over the ridiculous things I thought I couldn't do without, until the cases arrived and I couldn't believe how much useless things I had packed!!  I was quite sorry to lose the shorts and shirts I had become so attached to!  Made me realise today how little you need.

Oh and I nearly forgot the 2nd thing.....my husband proposing to me!  All along whilst I moaned about not having my girly things, there was a secret diamond ring in his case and for 4 days he panicked silently until it arrived safely, to find its way onto my finger, where it remains to this day!

Ah.........

So Kalkan became a very special place for us and now it's our 2nd home.

Kim :)

Offline KalkanKath

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
Kim - What a lovely romantic story! I bet your other half was having kittens about that ring!
I lost a whole vanity case once en-route to another resort in Kalkan (about 10 yrs ago too so very little replacement stuff available in resort) - the case was jam-packed full of makeup etc and I didn't have so much as a lipstick on me for the entire two-week holiday. I was absolutely devastated for a day or two, but after that, it felt very liberating being 'au naturel' for a while!

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »
Kim what a romantic story, beautiful.  Kalkan is also very special to us and our second home.  We celebrated our 25th last month in Kalkan and it was as special then as our first trip!

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Congratulations on your 25th and couldn't think of a better place to spend it!  Our wedding anniversary is Sept 14th and inevitably since we got married almost 7 years ago, we are usually in Kalkan.  That means choosing a restaurant difficult, as we have so many favourites and so many friends now who treat us very well!  Fortunately it is Jules' birthday on Sept 22nd, so we can avoid upsetting anyone as we have 2 special nights during our autumn trip out.

We have even been known to have a romantic dinner on our roof terrace, under a myriad of stars, watching the lights across Kalkan, enjoying a glass or too of Cankaya......followed by a few malts....!  We are always popular if our Danish neighbours are out at the same time, as the malt is always re-stocked....never seems to last long!!!!!

Longing to be back....must give up the day job!!

Kim :-*

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »
We arrived in the wee hours and had slept on the transfer coach but were woken on our arrival and shown to our room at the Nur. We had no sooner fallen asleep when we were woken by the call to prayers from the the Mosque!! When we managed to drag ourselves out of bed we went up to the Breakfast area on the roof top of the Nur. What a view, it was breathtaking and I think we fell in love with Kalkan then.
It was our first visit to Turkey and the Kalkan magic certainly worked for us as we went home the proud owners of our apartment at the Korsan.
Joan

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »
About 11 years ago we decided to visit Turkey for the first time and chose Patara. We had a fantastic time, and although Patara was not the most sophisticated place the friendly people and laid back feel made it a really memorable holiday. Whilst in Patara we booked a boat trip which left from Kalkan. We had 45 minutes in Kalkan and I remember sitting by the harbour with an ice cold Efes just gazing out at the stunning view. I turned to my OH and said "This is it for me I don''t need to go anywhere else ever again"
In the intervening years we did go elsewhere, Orhanye in Turkey, Majorca, Nerja, Mijas to name but a few. Whilst we had lovely holidays I just couldn''t shake Kalkan from my mind. My OH thought I was a bit mad, after all I had only experienced 45 minutes of it. But I was hooked. Then for my 40th Birthday Graham said "what do you really want for your birthday"  I thought long and hard and several things vied for my ideal present. Diamond rings, luxury cruise or a holiday in Kalkan. I settled for the latter and Graham brought home the Tapestry brochure and said "pick what you want".
I lingered over the Kalkan Regency, it really did look gorgeous but in the end I opted for the Oasis. I really can''t say why I chose that particular hotel, I just had a feeling that it would be special. And special it was. What a delightful hotel with such charming owners and staff who couldn''t do enough for you.
We had the best 2 week holiday ever and returned in the same year in October when we bought our little apartment.
I have travelled extensively, having worked in the past for various airlines with cheap travel a perk of the job. I vowed I would never be "one of those boring people" who return to the same destination more than once. Kalkan seduced me with her charm, stunning scenery, warm and friendly locals and fabulous cuisine. I have never looked back.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:33:01 PM »
I know what you mean joan,yes, it may not be paradise for some, but,their is something that just bites you on the bum and says yes,this is it ! sept will be my sixth time,I dont know what it is , but I just feelat home,I have been to alot of countries and I think for myself I have found my new home.

Neil :-*
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline lewwhittaker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
I am a person that reads a lot of the threads and takes note but very rarely replies or puts my own thoughts forward. However being a bit of a romantic felt that I had to mention my first and ongoing love of the mystical and wonderful Kalkan. I first came to Kalkan in 2000 after having travelled France with my wife Sue and the two bin lids. We loved the country but the son and daughter were bored so we found this brochure "Tapestry" and booked the Yelken Hotel which at the time looked so attractive in Undiscovered Turkey. Coming from Dalaman over the mountains, which my wife Sue was frightened of, we eventually came across that awesome sight as you see Kalkan for the first time. We fell in love with the place from that moment on and like others vowed never to go back to the same place again. That was it, we were hooked and subsequently arrived the following years meeting some lovely friends through the wonderful Kalkan journey. Sadly Sue died very suddenly in 2004 and I came out to Kalkan with part of my heart missing but soon realised that the only thing missing was her. Nothing else had changed, people shed tears with me but made me feel so welcome. Since that time I have bought a property in Kalkan and thing it is th best thing I ever did. I love the magic. I have met someone else since and she absolutely loves the friendlieness and love that Kalkan offers. Long Live Kalkan. Lets not spoil it. Lew

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
We had always wanted to go to Turkey & had looked longingly at Tapestry brochures & couldn''t afford them. In late March 2001 (the first Gulf War had just started) I was surfing t''intynet & saw that Tapestry were offering 2 weeks at he Regency for £250 each - I yelled downstairs to OH & booked on the spot!!  We arrived at the Regency at about 11pm at night and you really wonder what sort of place you are going to as the coach bumps up that driveway!  The moon was rising over the hills towards Kas & stood at the bar having our first ever Efes!  Never looked back (but haven''t been back to stay at the Regency).

Bit of an off topic but I would recommend anyone to go & have a drink at the Regency during their stay - especially if you go half an hour or so before sunset.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
Oh, Lew, what a lovely if bitter sweet story. You have made me feel quite emotional and so pleased I have re-introduced this thread, if only to read your memory.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Joan

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
Yes Lew, thank you very much.  Here''s to many more happy years there.  Charlie

Offline lewwhittaker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 08:16:18 PM »
Joan

Thanks for stirring up this thread. I didnt see it the last time round and so glad you did. Happy memories live forever and certainly will do in the magic of Kalkan.

Lew

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »
It''s so nice to feel peoples love for Kalkan in this tread. Kalkan for me is like my wonderful husband - not perfect (but then neither am I) but warm, loving, kind, exciting, fun and great to look at.

We first came to Kalkan on a cheap deal with Tapestry to stay at the Mina Hotel, now the Emir. We knew it was the last year as a hotel and that it would be converted to apartments and we thought how great it would be to have one as the views were fantastic with a great location for town. We couldn''t forget Kalkan and the views and now own one of the apartments at the Emir.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Remember to let people know....

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 04:23:33 PM
by kalcougar
recycled
Remember to introduce yourselves

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 10:53:15 PM
by Chucky
xx
Remember to choose an Avatar

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Introduce Yourself

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 10:45:24 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
cheesy
I Remember Kalkan - Revisited

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

a touch of frost

Views: 3415
By: headroom
Here comes the boat!