Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: End of the Forum? Absolutely Not!  (Read 23472 times)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: End of the Forum?
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
Over a week since the last post during peak season.

Is it time to accept that the forum is pretty much dead, squashed like many others by the Facebook steamroller. A great pity, as I don't think the Facebook EK page comes even close to replacing the forum as it was a few years ag. For me Facebook has simply too much clutter and distracting notifications etc to be bothered with. 

Good to see the response to my post, clearly there is still some life in the forum.

Today was a good example of why it is better than FB. Thanks to BL's post we now have our Easter flights booked at a bargain price. It may have been flagged up on FB but, if so, it was lost in the general clutter and I didn't get to see it.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
Great to see people still love the forum. Hopefully the new mobile friendly layout will encourage new members to join.

Many more ideas to come... spread the word 😀

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
I for one am really pleased that this forum is going to continue. Some of the Facebook threads are quite negative and I was particularly upset by the recent post that was aimed at the greeter at Alternatifs. Whilst he won't be to everyone's taste I have never found him to be offensive. Perhaps I could suggest another discussion area for this forum...…."Negative feedback about Kalkan". this could be a place for people to air their views and opinions about poor service, burglaries, street dogs, noise nuisance, value for money etc, etc,....I'm sure that I would want to read any negative feedback but, maintain my own opinion, without any personal attacks on whoever wants to air their views.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
You’ve got my vote Keith. We were concerned about the changes in turkey since 2014 but we have returned this year twice and still love being there. I have a U.K. business that is a community that extensively uses Facebook. I don’t because I don’t wish to enter into the negative parts of everyday life. So many people look for the negative elements of life instead of what’s great. Kalkan is great. But modern day exposure wants to look for the bad. I will return to kalkan in 2019 as well as going to many other places. I love to have a g&t or glass of wine and see what’s going on kalkan on cctv. Love to meet BL and good ol antler ( Steve) tortoise lady. (Sheila) because they are real kalkan people. This forum won’t die, it may evolve but it will still be full of people who love kalkan. Thanks Jon

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 07:47:20 AM »
Antler!!! Used to love his blogs. Haven’t seen one for years now. Does anyone know if he still visits Kalkan but has given up his blog or has he given up Kalkan.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Im happy to tweak the forum sections - Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Would a Whats Hot and Whats Not section work?

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
That's a good idea. People can then choose what they want to read and, hopefully, respect other people's views. We all have our own likes and dislikes and, as we know, things are continually evolving in Kalkan and people can have positive and negative experiences. I am really pleased that this forum is being given a new lease of life and sincerely hope that we can achieve greater participation.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
Whats Hot and Whats Not section now added to Holiday Reports and Reviews :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »
Just catching up with EK....have to say a bit emotional reading everyones posts. Love this site, the original and the best! Thanks Jon for keeping it going.

PS Antler isn't visiting Kalkan currently but have to agree about missing his posts.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
It’s great to be back, we just need to entice new members to our community now 😀

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
Glad you’re better Jon, it’s great to have you back too  :)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2018, 09:51:37 PM »
Thank you  :)

Anyone with ideas what they would like to see please do let me know, here’s hoping to some new members

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
Time for my two pence-worth:

1: The trouble with doing a blog is that you may get loads of views, but most people can't be bothered to comment or join in, unless it one of the truly faithful.  Worst of all mnost can't even be bothered to click on 'Like', so you feel your efforts are unappreciated.

2: The plus point for blogs is keeping current.  Places change staff, names, locations, etc, and any one of these can have a good or bad effect on the customer's opinion.  The blogs do help to see what;'s got better and what's got worse.

3: The greeter(s) - are essential for some places, like Alternatif, since people just don't look up, they tend to be blinkered and look ahead, glancing from side to side.  Having said that, we spoke to a couple this year that have been coming for 12 years and didn't know where Ali Baba's was, or Mussakka, either.  Hence the need for greeters sometimes.  Note though that these two don't need greeters, perhaps Mustafa does, stuck on the top of K2.

4: Facebook - don't use it really, apart from seeing what people insist on telling me where they are and what they're doing.  Not just me, but the NSA, GCHQ, and anyone who breaks into Zuckerberg's Money Palace for the wrong reasons.  Least of all, never, ever use your real name or put a full face picture on.  Facial recognition isn't just used by Governments to identify you and where you are and what you think.

5: The EK Forum - brilliant when it's busy, awful when someone wants to sell me fake IDs, or something.  The one thing that would improve it would be to attach a (limited number) of small pictures to a post (many forums can do this, or at least advise on the smoothest way to achieve it), a picture of a meal, sunset, view, pratfall, etc. can add loads to a post (some editorship may be required!).

There's probably tons more I can add, but have fallen foul of a virus (EZY2A - that's easyJet Seat 2A) so enthusiasm is a little dimmed!

Incidentally, did anyone else have a problem with overcooked steaks this year?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Gelin

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »
Missed you Chris S, of all the messages on this this forum yours is the one I look forward to reading. Have you given Kalkan a miss this year? Your deadpan approach to life is a killer. Whether it's rehydration or airline company's or buying your fish from Fethiye market. Sorry I have Just realised I never 'like' any blogs on here. Maybe it's because I don't log in. Must do from now. So all you regular contributors to this site keep up the good work. Let's hope it's not an end to this forum.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Gelin.

No, we haven't deserted Kalkan, a bit of blog apathy (see above) kicked in, plus some pre-planned rearrangement of what we were going to do when sort of upset the long established routine.

Seemed not to get so much R&R, but this was probably down to aforementioned activities (sort of), and a general lethargy.

Of course the attention to re-hydration did not disappear, neither did Fethiye Fish Market, Islamlar, Gelemis, and the most arduous of all - where to eat each night.  The latter not helped by having three boat trips in two weeks, and as you all know, eating is not the prime focus in the evening.

We're planning on two visits next year, when we will be in disguise as contestants from Love Island, and Strictly finalists.

As if!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
I think with anything the busier this forum gets the more people that will use it - How do we keep it alive - Lets all post on here and promote it.

Hopefully people will appreciate the sheer amount of knowledge available on here, plus, when the new accommodation section comes along that should bring more people to the forum

Heres to another 11 years of EK :)

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
One of the best media activities is being able to see others having a great time in kalkan. Cctv around the town used to be great. Now even Ktln have none. They keep saying bare with us but I’ve never know it take so long to fit some new ones. Think everyone on enjoy would really love it.

On another subject. There are so many people that have coeliac desease. They have to eat everything gluten free. Getting an excellent gluten free pizza in kalkan is impossible. Well with other GF members help we could change this. FOTO’s make great normal pizzas but they have tried and tried to make gluten free ones and failed. On our first visit this year we asked then if they would make a pizza with our own bases and they said they would. We took the best pre made pizza based with us. Yep all the way to turkey. They were amazed at how good they were and said they would try and access them. They are made by schar. 2 individually vacuum packed. Migros stock some Schar products and hopefully will stock the pizza bases. FOTOs said they would be great. Long life. Stored under the table. Simple. I said I will get others to text or email asking him to stock them. Hope you GFs do. Finally as a matter of interest. 4 pizza’s (1 our base) 2 boxes is great chips and of course 2 efes whilst we waited and chatted GF pizzas ...127tl. Mad. Regards Ray

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
As you know EK was home to the first webcam in Kalkan and in all honesty whenever there was a power cut it lost its configuration that was a real pain!

I dont know KTLNs plans on webcams however, if anyone wants to help create a webcam network for EK do let me know as all the technology is in place, just not the cameras :)

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Thanks for considering it Jon. I’m no techie but my farm has 24 cameras of which 16 are live. We often switch of the power for lots of reasons but never have to reconfigure the system. It just reboots itself. If we want to do anything to it after that we just have to log on. It is a hard wired system (4000’) not a WiFi system so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Perhaps the system was old tech. My is now to what you can buy. Perhaps someone on here is a techi that could advise. But it would be great and encourage more involment on the site. Regards

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
Sounds like the old cameras just didn't have a very good NVRAM.  Sorry, tech-speak.  Modern ones, like your router, etc should be pretty robust these days.

Technical Glossary:
NVRAM: Non-volatile random-access memory (NVRAM) is random-access memory that retains its information when power is turned off. This is in contrast to dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) and static random-access memory (SRAM), which both maintain data only for as long as power is applied. (Wiki)

Here endeth the lesson!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20
thumbup
Korsan Apartments absolutely lovely trip!

Started by karenm on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 12:32:35 PM
by karenm
xx
Hello Forum!

Started by broadyboy123 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 12:13:26 PM
by broadyboy123
xx
new to the forum

Started by Tracy@the coast on Introduce Yourself

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 09:41:40 AM
by Tracy@the coast

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Xanthos

Views: 3412
By: blondie
Patara Beach