Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fly out on sunday!  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Ares

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Fly out on sunday!
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
yay! ;D

So exited, will be my first time in Turkey...

Me and the "Mrs" were recommended Kalkan by a few friends for a laid back relaxed place to visit so booked a week at the Samira De-lux.
having had a look on-line i think it will be anything but relaxing for her hahaha there's so much stuff i want to do! like kayaking in kerkova over the ruins, salikent, Patara beach(might take a few days to explore LOL) ;D

Whats the easiest way of arranging the excursions? i've heard Patara is well served by the Dolmus?

Also are there any restaurants that are "must visit"??

P.S great informative forum - credit to the admin  :)

Hopefully this will be the first visit of many!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5769.0

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Re: Fly out on sunday!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Hi Ares,
We were in Kalkan a couple of weeks back, we've been to Turkey many times but it was our first
visit to Kalkan, won't be our last!!! Can't help you with the dolmus as all we did was a boat trip but i believe you can get to Patara on the dolmus.
Can recommend Mussaka, Baharat and Kalamaki, and for iced coffes and homemade cake, Cafe del Mar. You are spoilt for choice for eating out, i couldn't believe how many restaurants there are!!
Enjoy!!
Nicky.

Nicky

Offline bevilj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
Patara Beach has a good Dolmus service. If you are feeling flush the Taxi Rank, is  right opposite. They will also fetch you at your stated time, and we did not pay until the completion of the return journey. We used them once, and rang them to say we would like a later pick up time, no problem. It was also nice to get into an air condition vehicle. Just be aware Patara beach can sometimes be quite windy. There's a great Beach Cafe there, Enjoy your Holiday, like so many of us, you will keep coming back.

Offline Ares

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
Excellent, thanks for your help!

quick question... Probably more suited to another area of the forum so apologies... I know you get better rates selling money so always better to change out there, however... I've been told that a lot of people prefer to be paid in GBP£ is this the case? i.e is it worth keeping some English currency or should I change it all to lire when i get there?

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
I usually keep a little stirling it's good to barter with at the market but otherwise all prices are given in turkish Lira but most places accept stirling.

M

Offline Ares

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
ok so back now and suffering from the post holiday blues :(

had an amazing time...

we arrived Monday morning @ 4am, was glad i had booked the transfers with adda - made life so easy we picked up the luggage and came out of the airport to find our driver waiting for us.

the drive was quicker than i thought - maybe because i slept through a lot of it - but the scenery as the sun came up was amazing, we then stopped at a service station for a break - was amused to see they had a swimming pool there too.

we arrived at samira delux, checked in and had a few hours much needed kip - then popped down to the town centre to have a look around and grab a bite at indigo (i think thats what its called - the restaurant by the lighthouse in the marina) and then popped down to the pebble beach at kalkan and got sunbeds to relax on for the afternoon.

first restaurant we visited was trio - i had the stuffed sea bass... omg it was amazing, full of flavours and the service was superb - this may have been because we ate quite early due to the long day travelling. the price was reasonable - i think it came to about 100tkl for the two of us.

on the second day we jumped on a bus from the station to Patara beach it was 5tkl each way - much cheaper than a taxi and we were able to book a return trip.
Patara beach was incredible - a long stretch of sand and clear sea, the cafe there was very reasonably priced and the facilities were more than adequate.
Tuesday night we ate at the sun roof terrace, if im honest i wasn't very impressed with the service but could have just been an off night, the food was excellent though - i had a traditional lamb dish which was very tasty.

on Wednesday we took a day excursion through to myra and kekova the guide was great, he was well spoken and knowledgeable.
the ruins at Myra are incredible, its amazing how well preserved they are and i would say they are a must see for anyone visiting Kalkan. it is quite a long journey to get there so if you get car sick make sure you're prepared.
we then went to the st nicholas museum - i wasnt really interested in this so we had a walk round the local shops and stalls and brought an ice cream LOL.
after the museum we jumped on the bus again and went to kekova where we were transferred onto a boat and taken to a bay for a swim and lunch - again the sea was crystal clear and the views were spectacular!
lunch was really good - we had grilled chicken and lots of other culinary delights!

following on from that we then went to see the "sunken city" - the history behind the place is extraordinary and we really enjoyed this - its amazing how some of the buildings are so well preserved.
after seeing the sunken city we were taken to the island of simena i believe, we took a trip up to the top of the castle - this is an extra cost but was well worth it in my opinion - if youre not fit you may struggle a bit with it. once we came down we had some home made ice cream at the local cafe which was extremely refreshing.

We were pretty tired by the time we got back to the hotel and so decided to spend the night there instead of the walk into town - so stuck to a basic tavuk sis which was delicious.

on Thursday we had a relaxing day at the hotel by the pool which was followed up with an incredible meal at moussaka - it was so good that we agreed to book it again for our last night which again was splendid!!

Friday was spent at kaputas beach - a beautiful beach about 5-10 mins away from kalkan, we took a bus from the station which cost 6tkl return - there are a few enterprising people who sell cold drinks but unlike patara there is very little there so if you plan to stay a while make sure your prepared.
but the views and scenery are insane and the water is very clear.
We ate at aubergine that night - the food was amazing, once again we were both very impressed by the value!

we spent the last day doing a boat trip around kalkan and stopping off at various places to have a swim and the chef on board made some fantastic grouper sandwiches as a snack and then served up a delicious lunch.
we also got the chance to swim ashore and have a mud bath - which actually made my skin feel incredibly soft!

all in all an amazing holiday - already planning on going back next year!!

massive thanks to omer at adda for his tips, advice and helping with the excursions.

the only downside of the holiday was having to walk up the hill to the samira deluxe after stuffing my face - although it wasn't as bad as it was made out and i feel 10x fitter for it haha! the walk took us about 10-15 mins but is pretty steep and hard going.

anyway enough blabbering - if you read this before your first visit, hope you find some of it useful.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
Ares,
Thank you for taking the time to do this report. It sounds like you had a great time, I am very envious.
I hope other visiters will also send us their reports....... especially Antler.
Thanks again
Joan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
next Sunday onwards

Started by tillymint143 on Weather

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 11:36:45 AM
by Babs
xx
Sunday Times Travel mag

Started by ade on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 04:28:59 PM
by Kalkan Magic
xx
The Sunday Times Travel Mag

Started by Begonvil on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 08:51:25 PM
by Livingproof
xx
Kalkan in the Sunday Times

Started by Mags on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bob's Chef Kisla

Views: 3758
By: zros
Antalya ruin