Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting ready for Kalkan  (Read 13652 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Getting ready for Kalkan
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as we tip over into March I start buying for our trip to Kalkan.
Already deposited into the clear plastic box - new swimwear, BH's suntan lotion, 3 of the 6 books I plan to take and a couple of cover-ups...taking my cover-up ownership into borderline crazy :-[
Who else is getting ready for Kalkan..?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13205.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Getting ready for Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
I have my holiday pants!! some new Flippen Floppens and a Fred Perry polo shirt............sorted!! >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
You do make me laugh K4E!  :laugh:

Offline Maitch

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
Hubby will be arriving in Kalkan on 10th May, but I won't be out for another 13 days as our dear daughter in law is due to have twin sons next Wednesday! I have said that there was no way I could think of leaving her for more than a fortnight, especially as she is due to have a C-section, and will need all the help she can get for at least 6 weeks.  Hopefully they might arrive before next week - but I'm not holding my breath!

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »
He, he; so glad I'm not alone, just purchased my extra grip fiat summer sandals and a cover up just today. Been browsing the sun lotion aisle in boots. Still holding back the temptation, at the moment, to sort my 'only wear in Kalkan' drawer out, if I do that it might stop me buying more holiday lovelies.

I've been happily enjoying the photos of all the lovely bags coming up on the Simply Chic Facebook account. So much temptation.

79 days and counting for us. Yay.  ;)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
We decided last year that we were having a 'staycation' year this year and do some jobs at home, but then I was given the opportunity to have a holiday with a girlfriend, so thanks to Kalkan Gems, we are heading out for a week at the start of July...this will be tough after our 3 weeks last year!

Anyhow, i have not booked any hold baggage...i am going to try to pack for a week with a 10kg allowance......how bonkers is that? ! Advice please......

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »
 :) all packed . going tomorrow !

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
Haybo,

The best advice i can give you is...........pack as much as you can into your 10kg bag and then prey that the airport scales have broken,in the uk and Dalaman when you return.........it is a long shot,but you never know.

Have a lovely week though.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
Mayday1 - genius!

Think I may give in and fork out the £48 to take a case.......

Samson - have a great time!

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
Have a fabulous time Samson.Weather is pretty good there at the moment and here's hoping it stays good for you.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »
We have a long time to wait......October!
Go away for,a few days to Spain before then and hopefully to visit friends in Cornwall in the summer but I am often heard to say "that would be nice for you know where!" But don't have a specific stash!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:28 PM »
33 days to our next trip and apart from wax strips for OH's back,  :o  I've not got a jot yet. I'm still hoping to drop a dress size before I buy any new clobber but think I'm being a bit unrealistic  ;D watch this space  ;)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
Baggage weighing at airports?

Don't rely on them being broken - there's money at stake for the airline (assuming it's a so-called 'budget' airline).  Certainly SqeezyJet and LyingAir scales tend to read (or are interpreted) high when it suits them, generally on the return!

We once had 19kg cases outbound (SqueezyJet) weigh 22kg on the return with nothing added, in fact a book or too less.  Must have been an awful lot of beach sand stuck to those sandals…

Scheduled these days - lesson learned ???
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
We only ever take hand luggage, with Easy jet hand luggage weight is unlimited.
There are ways of getting everything in, especially for a week.
Roll everything up, limit shoes, you only really need a pair for around the pool and 1 or maybe 2 pairs for the evenings. Dresses take up less room than skirts and tops. Kindle hopefully instead of paperbacks.
Order suncream/toiletries from Boots and pick up at the airport, this does not have to go in your case and saves a huge amount of room. If space is at a premium buy a beach towel in Kalkan and squeeze it in on the way back!
We even did Shanghai with hand baggage only, slightly more challenging than a couple of weeks in the sun! It's great when you land and just sweep through the terminal bypassing the luggage carousels.
Good luck!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »
The turkish hamman towels are just perfect for the light  luggage travellers, easy to rinse out,  they come in all different sizes & quality & light in weight. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
Great advice msr.  I wear a third of what i take normally so it stands to reason that i can cope with 10 kg, although i might treat myself to a super lightweight bag as my samsonite weighs about 3 kilos before you even start!

Have got my Turkey Towels ready to take....love them! I think I will leave it to my friend who has check in to carry the toiletries, straighteners etc!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
Make the most of the hand luggage situation while you can!

Murmurings in the airline industry, especially the budget end, are fuelling concern that the increase in delayed departures and the knock-on effects, are caused by passengers stowing their (sometimes excessively large) hand luggage allowance (to avoid the checked-in charges).

There are investigations currently being done to see whether to soften the checked in charges so that turn-arounds become more efficient and thus saving the airlines money from fines (delayed departures, increased gate parking charges), increased fuel costs (making up lost time), accidents (heavy bags falling out of lockers), and customer satisfaction (passengers bags not being stowed in lockers due to insufficient space); all these may outweigh the fuel savings in not having loads of heavy baggage in the hold.

Whether there will be any changes, remains to be seen, but you can bet on the fact that if it will transfer costs to the passenger, and improve the profit margin, then it will happen.

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
I tend to travel hand baggage only but this Sunday we will be flying out Turkish Air (via Istanbul to Antalya) and hence have 2x 23kg of hold luggage included, so will be packing 2 spare water hammocks and several bits and bobs for the villa plus a load of clothes and first aid provisions for KKIP.
I have in the past managed hand luggage only on TC (6kg) this included my laptop! the secret is a big coat with large pockets.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
Love it Haybo, you have got your priorities right by loading the heavy stuff in your friends hold bag. May even have enough room for a spare pair of shoes perhaps😱😱

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
as we flew with Pegasus again we were pushed to find enough to fill our two 20kilo cases so one we filled with food for our ex pat neighbours. tried to think of all the things they miss and can not get in Kalkan. The list included jacobs cream crackers, kippers. herring roe . horseradish , crumpets but we were also able to put in a Ken Hom chinese take away from Tesco. They were delighted! what is the most obscure item anyone has bought out ? :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Almost Ready!

Started by macrefield mom on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:37:51 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Getting ready for the season

Started by alantj on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM
by alantj
xx
Ready or Not..here I come - new resident

Started by Lynnecurtis on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
by Chucky
xx
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ........

Started by RosiB on Holiday Reports and Reviews

83 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:21:44 AM
by RosiB

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal