Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi! New to this site thinking of going to Kalkan for first time!  (Read 4187 times)

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Myself and my Hubby are thinking of going to Kalkan this summer, have the chance of renting a great apartment. Just wondering really if it would be the place for us. We haven''t been abroad for over 20 years since having our four kids so you could call it a belated honeymoon, so we''d like it to be special. We''re both young/late forties and enjoy the sun although not particularly sitting on the beach or by the pool all day, would like to see some local scenery and get a taste of the real Turkey too, maybe hire a car to get around. Don''t want to go anywhere too bustling and touristy but enjoy having an evening out maybe a nice meal or just a few drinks and perhaps some entertainment. Can''t decide whether to go mid June or early September, wondering which is the best weather wise as we would like to be able to sit on the balcony some evenings without it being too cold or nippy and enjoy a nice glass of wine and just relax. Never been to any parts of Turkey before but have heard some good reports about some of the other resorts and how friendly the Turkish people are there.  It would be great if anyone on here could give us a little more insight into the resort and any opinions good or bad that might help us make our minds up and indeed any other information you might think we should know. Thanks very much. p.s. Looks a great site!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1048.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
Re: Hi! New to this site thinking of going to Kalkan for first time!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:14 AM »
hi clara48 - and welcome,

Firstly Turkey is a friendly place, which ever area you go to you will find warm friendly people.  If you did decide to go to Kalkan, you will have picked a good location for your first visit, its like a large village where the locals love a new face or two and are always willing to advise and help, and it can bustle but not in the way the large areas do it just bustles with every day life.  There are no nightclubs, but plenty of bars, and if you have checked this site out will have read there are plenty of eating places large or small, if you want to sit in a bar until the early hours you can, some of the larger establishments hold Turkish Nights which can be fun, but in all no one need be bored.   

Kalkan is located around a bay, the views are terrific, the sea a beautiful colour, lots of boat trips available from the harbour which are good fun (if you like boats that is) there is a small beach but it is stony, there is a larger one a short bus trip away Patara, which is soft sand and super.  Infact you said  you wanted something special, well you can certainly have that in Kalkan. You have the sea in front of you and the mountains behind you depending where you are staying with super sun rises and sun sets.

The weather in June is going to be rather hot, the evenings warm, just the thing for sitting on balconies with a drink or two, the weather in September can also be hot with the odd rain shower here and there and with the global warming obviously things are changing, but again the evenings are warm and there is a breeze that comes off the sea, infact September can be a lovely time in Kalkan and other areas.

There are plenty of places and things to see in and around the area, depending on how active or not you may want to be, walks, sight seeing, ruins, there is so much history in Turkey.

Be prepared for a bit of walking depending on where the apartment is located, the roads are not good, so don''t take your best high heels etc, and there is no need for lots of dressing up in Kalkan, smart casual is welcome or if you really don''t fancy that well the shorts and tee shirt are also ok, but if you really do want to dress for dinner, well go ahead that''s also ok. 

One thing I would point out, that it is a Muslim country and they still do respect their traditions and religion so please respect their way of life, and they will respect you. 

Really hope that if you do choose Kalkan, you have a wonderful time, am sure you will, it was our first location in Turkey many years ago, we tried others, but returned and continued to do so.  Happy Holiday. 

Am sure that the owners of the apartment have lots of info for you re the things to see and do in and around the Kalan area.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:58:56 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:42:51 AM »
Hi Clara - welcome to the forum!

Nothing much to add to DRBD''s comments - which sum up Kalkan pretty well.  Just to add about getting out and about - there is plenty to see and do around Kalkan - you certainly won''t be bored.  A lovely day out is Sakklikent Gorge - you can walk up the gorge as far as possible and it is the 2nd biggest gorge in Europe. Combine it with a lunch at one of the nearby Yakapark trout farms and then finish with a historical visit to Tlos - an amazing roman place built on a hill - they had brains the romans!  There are numerous other famous lycian/roman archaeological remains to see - if you are into that sort of thing - Xanthos, Patara (combine that with one of the best beaches in the world!), Letoon, Pinara and others.  Visit Fethiye and their Tuesday market, go to Kas - a lovely working town - Kaputas beach is a must, go inland to Gombe, the Green lake and Elmali - another MUST is the sunken city of Kekova - another fantastic day out - the list is endless - you will love it!!

Enjoy!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
Hi Clara

I reccommend you read Forum member Alison''s excellent report on her first trip to Kalkan, it really gives you a feel for the place and what you can expect. You will find it under members blogs on the home page of EnjoyKalkan site.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
If you like sea swimming the water in September is wonderful - as is the swimming. Straight into deep water from the platforms at the beach clubs.

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Dont think any longer just book it. You will have special nights out, lovely day trips, friendly people and they speak and understand English so well, it is so easy to holiday there .

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
Hello Clara, as the others have done such a good job telling you how special Kalkan is, all I can say is to have a good read of the many reports on the forum. If you have any specific questions than please just ask and we al do our best to advise you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Thinking of coming to Kalkan for the first time!!

Started by tessag41 on Accommodation and Hotels

18 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 09:25:49 AM
by michelle from newcastle
thumbup
Another one new to the site but not new to Kalkan

Started by JW on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 03:57:10 PM
by Brooksie
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal