Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: kalkan Changes  (Read 18126 times)

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: kalkan Changes
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »
A cement mix would probably crack up with thermal movement in that climate. Probably the sand was not thoroughly tamped down with a vibrating plate machine when the blocks were laid.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
Then maybe the 'ski jump' is a master stroke! The new stone setts used in the repair have been deliberately laid higher than the rest of the road, in full knowledge that they will eventually sink, then Hey Presto! A perfectly level road again. Genius!

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
I agree with BL that it looked lovely in the Summer, despite everyone's concerns. Just a shame to watch it all rolling away again!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Cobbles and setts are widely used across many towns throughout turkey...and seem to stay in place probably because they have been swept in with a mix of S&C :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:44:40 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
I would imagine that few of them are on quite such a slope as well.  (Although I have to admit to having very limited experience of any other Turkish towns!)

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
Oh dear, looks like I'll have to go over and take a look and report back next week.... (flights booked 4 sleeps to go)

from what I have seen so far (facebook KTLN etc) the old roads suffered as well as the new, some people say it was the worst flooding in 20yrs. However when I was there in July it was obvious that the grit between the sets had settled (as it does) so there wasn't any visible .. not sure if the new roads get grit/sand brushed in on a regular basis but that's apparently needed. Other areas in Turkey have similar sets (and similar hills in places) it does seem to work and roads have been constructed like this for 100s of years.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 08:18:37 AM »
One issue that makes the situation worse in Kalkan is that the fastidious and house-proud bar and restaurant owners regularly hose down the streets in front of their properties - which should be a good thing. But for months they have been washing out the sand and grit from between the setts. Just back from a lovely early morning stroll down to the harbour and the loose grit that has had accumulated into piles further down the roads is treacherously slippy underfoot - like walking with tiny marbles under your feet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal