Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Laser eye surgery in Turkey  (Read 5255 times)

Offline call8555

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Laser eye surgery in Turkey
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
Hi all, I have been reading the posts on this forum for a few weeks and decided to say Hi.  HI !

My Girlfriend and I are due to visit Kalkan on the 16th of June and have picked loads of good info and tips here .. thanks !

I''ve been reading some good reports on people having laser eye surgery in Izmir and wanted to consider this as I was visiting Turkey. I''ve seen high praise for the turkish dental industry on this forum but wanted to know if anyone has had expierence of having lasik surgery whilst in Turkey as it''s about a 1/4 of the price in England?

Cheers in advance

Matt.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1632.0

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Laser eye surgery in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
My late father in law was an eye surgeon & there is no way ever he would have let any of his short sighted four eyed git sons & daughter in laws have laser eye surgery. If it goes wrong there is NO WAY of putting it right. Honestly with the availability of all the different sorts of contact lenses & even glasses I would plead with you not to take that risk with your eyes. And I am in no way denigrating Turkish surgery - I just would not have it done anywhere.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:25 AM »
I accompanied a friend to the Dünya Göz Hastanesi (World Eye Hospital) in Levent Istanbul to have this operation done. It was necessary to stay in the area for about 4 days for return appointments. This was 4 years ago (actually we arrived the day the bombs went off at the HSBC in Levent & the British Consulate) and when I last saw her in the winter she was still very happy with it. She did lots of research (in Turkey & UK) before hand and was happy that this was a good place to have it done. I seem to remember they spoke good English.
Actually it was quite amazing the morning after the operation when she woke up and shouted ''oh my god I can see''. I think she had quite a big correction, but you should ensure you are a suitable candidate before you book up.
I would suggest you arranged to go to Istanbul separately rather than as part of a holiday in Kalkan.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
Hi Matt - welcome to the forum!!  I have actually had laser eye surgery done in the UK - cost me £1200.  It was the BEST thing that I have ever done and is money well spent as far as I am concerned - the freedom it gives me from glasses and contacts is immeasurable - I was prepared the take the risk.  However - in hindsight - I wish that I had had it done in Turkey...for a fraction of the cost.  My turkish teacher had laser eye surgery done in Istanbul quite a few years ago and was very impressed with the quality of the clinic and the qualifications of the eye surgeons etc - apparently they tend to train in the US which as you know are the leaders in this field.  However - as Mercimek has said - I would not do it as part of your holiday in Kalkan - Izmir is too far to travel for this as you will really need some recovery time - I had the cheaper older version done on my eyes and I was really out of action (could not bear bright lights for 2 days).  I would make this a special trip either to Izmir or Istanbul..!!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline call8555

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »
Thanks for all your responses.

My girlfriend had the operation 8 years ago and she has better eyesight than me even when I have glasses on. 

The new wavefront and non blade surgery is more efficient and has less recovery time and so many of my work friends have given this procedure praise. I have received an email from the surgery in Izmir and they have confirmed that I can book the appointment and would need a minimum of 2 nights stay in Izmir, although I will only be in the hospital for 2 hours for the treatment and will need to have my eyes checked again the next day, so we can treat this as a sort of excursion and we''ll get to see Izmir too. The total price for the op is 500 pound for both eyes, and the same treatment here would be closer to 4k. so no contest really.

Now we have to work out the best way to get from Kalkan to Izmir.. Thinking either car hire or Bus.?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »
Matt ...if your eyes are bad i''d go by bus!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:02:35 PM »
Hi Matt
I would say go for it.We paid nearly £4000 for this surgery a couple of months ago for our son,the exact procedure you are talking about.Very expensive but we think it''s been worth every penny & he is extremely happy with the surgery.He has above 20/20 vision in both eyes now & does not have the inconvenience of taking lens lotion,pots,spare contacts etc everytime he stays away from home.Would of sent him to Turkey to have it done had we known it was that cheap.lol

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »
Matt - it is a helluva long way - you might want to consider flying from Dalaman to Izmir (or even Antalya to Izmir...) might be cheaper too if you can pick up some cheap flights - but will be you able to fly after having had surgery..???  ???

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »
Matt - it is a helluva long way - you might want to consider flying from Dalaman to Izmir (or even Antalya to Izmir...) might be cheaper too if you can pick up some cheap flights - but will be you able to fly after having had surgery..???  ???

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »
sorry folks - pressed ''go'' twice...??!! :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Laser Eye surgery

Started by chickengeorge on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 08:52:21 PM
by chickengeorge
xx
Laser Eye Surgery

Started by aellis on Living In Kalkan

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2018, 06:09:29 PM
by aellis
xx
Stabile Laser Level 80LMX-P+L

Started by Cosetta on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 10:15:17 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Has to be Turkey

Started by misty on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 01:50:13 PM
by misty

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour

Views: 3221
By: andy4116
Coffee Bar