Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 54163 times)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2016, 12:41:25 PM »
Great news hobbo ,   shows there are still  signs of activity , we are in the same camp as others i.e not many bookings , in fact  two ,    However   one  booking   was  made  just  a few weeks ago  so we still have faith  and fingers crossed   for Kalkan  to make it through  what looks like a challenging patch so to speak , Looking at our  HL stats   most of our  enquiries  & bookings have come through in April / May in previous years   so too early to tell for us 

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
I see the US has just ordered personnel out of parts of Turkey including Mugla http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35921053

Thought it might get better in April/May but this doesn't bode well. 

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
To be quite honest ,   the US issues warnings to anyone traveling anywhere outside the US   . Reading the full article   they state exactly the same info as the UK gov   i.e. do not travel to the south east aka bordering Syria or Adana areas ,  they even admit there has been no  additional or specific  threats' that accounts for  their new warning about other areas such as Mugla , so why issue this additional warning then !      I suspect who has penned this article is in league with those same journalists from certain UK newspapers  and other  media outlet   inc the British Bias Corporation!  who simply hate Turkey 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:56:55 PM by brian j p »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »
It's the families of US personal & diplomats ordered out of Turkey, not service personnel themselves.

The media have done Turkey no favours at all with their persistant negative reports etc., but surely if tourists/ general public were really interested in coming to Turkey they would find out abit more about the country, eg the size of it & geography to start with. Because most people now rely of social media, media in general , some simply just can't seem to think for themselves or make a decision without consultation, they just like to be lead by others. There are plenty who have minds of their own, to prove it they are either here are they are coming.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »
Is anybody there? Whats happening? ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »
Earth calling Kalkaneers !! Come in please.......im sure I spotted a little bit of tumbleweed rolling on by. Does anyone know when the majority of the boats are craned back in and what progress is being made with the harbour restaurants /phase two of the harbour development.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:17:19 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline Now retired

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
We came back to UK on Friday after 3 weeks in Kalkan.
As far as the new harbour restaurants are concerned Seaport were just starting to install their kitchen equipment and spraying chairs. None of the other new units had started getting ready up to last Friday.
The phase 2 plans have started and the wall has been dug back right up to Korsan Meze and Sunset (and I mean right up to them).
On Friday morning all that had been completed was the first layer of concrete to the ground to give a foundation for the retaining wall that has to be built before stone facing. This needs all the shuttering to be built and concrete poured in stages.
The plan is to have this finished for middle of May, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Also during phase 2 the lift is supposed to be installed which it appears will be in front of Black and Gold bar and Korsan Meze going down to the side of Kleo bar.
More of the restaurants were opening but Kalkan was very quiet with not many tourists around.
We are back in Kalkan on 2nd May so hopefully things will be a bit further on and more people will be out there.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
Well the phase 2 is underway well & truely & in all honesty it's a  real mess down there at the moment, can't make out really what is going on. The new restaurants are being worked on mainly by the occupiers but not a great deal seems to have happened since the last report, but must say some very smart outside lights been installed outside Seaport. The boats are or were on Friday still being worked on in some cases, remember it's still early days here. Quite a few more places being got ready, some up & running others taking it slowly. In some places there are still building sites & they will have to be cleaned up,  still alot of negativity at the moment. On the brighter side, the weather is just lovely, the last few days hot no wind or breeze.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »
Took a walk to Komerluk this afternoon, think there is a new road through to patara beach club area with a massive shoreline development next to Patara beach club which looks like a new beach club or possibly an extension to Patara Beach club.   Not seen any information on it anywhere.

Been really hot this last week, but today was cooler and cloudy, thought we were in for some rain but seemed to blow over.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2016, 05:33:53 AM »
I spoke to the site manager of the phase 2 development in his office yesterday. He confirmed that the project would not be finished by 15th May - it would have to wait until the next building season. He also said whilst neither the plans for a lift from Korsan to Kleo, nor the wooden bathing platforms into the sea would go ahead, they were considering making a water feature out of the freshwater stream that flows onto the beach.

I was surprised to hear that whilst the crumbling roadway outside the new harbour units would not be made good this season, they are prioritising the installation of eight ATM machines in the wall behind the beach.

It would be unfortunate if next year's planned development of phase three (the rest of the harbour) runs over schedule to this degree.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
Unusual priorities?
With any luck it will take them so long to sort out phase two that they will leave phase three for longer and Kalkan will get to keep its charming harbour!
Bit concerned though about the road along the top where the Korsan is, presumably that will all be finished off or we'll be eating our breakfasts wearing a safety harness when we stay there later this year!  :o

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
I think the top road is cordoned off Babs just after Black and Gold. I seem to remember that they had an advertising banner all the way across the road just after their establishment - but I only looked in the dark so I can't be too sure, and I did have my cocktail goggles on  8) :o

I agree about the crumbling roadway by the new units Christina. We were only saying while we were there that in the dark, this is a real hazard as the surface is very uneven. I wonder what will happen with Fener too as there was no sign of life there recently?  ???

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
That's a shame that its kind of going to be left like the recent pics on KTLN :(
so is korsan maze and fish terrace open with the works so close?

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »
Last time I use a spy Lizilu........cocktail glasses, as the first holiday reporter of the season you were spposed to be alert at all times!  ;D ;D
Holidaylover, from what I remember from last year, the Korsan and Fish Terrace open early in May. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few days?

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
Good point babs, i forgot that not everyone is open yet. Hopefully the guys out there in Kalkan will keep us posted  ;)

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »
Good point babs, i forgot that not everyone is open yet. Hopefully the guys out there in Kalkan will keep us posted  ;)
Well the road outside Korsan is still cordoned off, and there's no signs of life. While in theory they may be able to open the roof terrace, the outside terrace is impossible at this point in time.
Obviously no one learnt any lessons from last years failure to complete the harbour work by the beginning of the season. This year is a similar mess!
The beach has no attraction whatsoever, backing on to a building site. The new units look soulless and completely out of place, with one unit tastefully called "golden plate". The architects obviously had no concept of keeping things in character. The whole thing wouldn't be out of place in marmaris or
Benidorm. A little harsh perhaps and just my opinion, but sorry I find it very disappointing. Such is
progress I suppose.
On a more positive note the road behind the main drag, where iso's is located,is showing real signs of life and how redevelopment can be tastefully done. There are a number of new restaurants opening and the old town hotel looks an excellent place to stay or to stop for a coffee and cake.The road has real potential having come from almost nothing a few years ago. Personally would far rather eat somewhere like this than the new harbour units.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw
xx
2015 Tax Return

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 10:36:17 PM
by Wendy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal