Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: RAMADAN  (Read 5882 times)

Offline clooneyrooney

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
RAMADAN
« on: September 15, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
Hi all Kalkan Lovers

I am very lucky to be in Kalkan from 22nd Sept for 7 days and I know that Ramadan will be in it''s 2nd week when I am there. I was wondering if you any of you have got any tips of what to do (or what not to do) so as not to cause any offence to anyone during this important event in the Islamic calender?
I have read on some web sites that alcohol might not be served during this time and that the chewing of gum during day light hours is also thought of as offensive.

Any help or advice greatfully received.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=686.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
Re: RAMADAN
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:02:05 AM »
You will not notice much difference, some people if you offer a drink or food to them may decline others may just take water, but at the end of the day at sun set you will find people sitting in groups to have their evening meal and enjoying.  Really down to the individual, but at the end of the period is a different matter, family gatherings celebrating and EATING & DRINKING
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:29:32 PM »
There are some dıfferences durıng the Ramadan perıod,whıch ın Turkey is called Ramazan. Anybody who ıs observıng the Ramazan fast wıll not eat or drınk from sunrıse to sunset, whıch at thıs tıme of year ıs a very long perıod, over 13 hours each day.

Before sunrıse, the Ramazan drummer does hıs rounds to wake everyone so that they can eat breakfast. As thıs ıs very early, most of those who fast then try to get some extra sleep before gettıng up to start the day.

The fast ıs broken at ıftar, whıch at the moment ıs about 7.20 p.m. when famılıes and frıends get together for the Iftar meal. The Beledıye provıdes a free Iftar meal for poorer people and you can see large numbers queıng behınd the Beledıye for about an hour beforehand.

Nobody ın Kalkan would object to a foreıgner eatıng or drınkıng or chewıng gum durıng Ramazan. Alcohol ıs served as usual everywhere. 

You would not cause offense ıf you asked someone who ıs fastıng to have somethıng to eat or drınk but durıng thıs tıme, ıt ıs sımpler not to extend an ınvıtatıon.

Many people do not fast here but try to gıve up somethıng whıch requıres sacrıfıce, such as cıgarettes.

One word of warnıng, as the month progresses, nerves can be  a lıttle stretched and every evenıng, for about 30 mınutes prıor to ıftar avoıd drıvıng, the local drıvers, who have had no food or drınk for thırteen hours are crazy to get home for theır fırst meal and chaos reıgns on the roads.

Derya

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
Hi Derya - interesting post and much as I thought - kalkan is a very liberal town - however I did have to have a chuckle to myself regarding the crazy driving as a result of nothing to eat all day - I guess their sugar levels must be at a very low ebb..!!  What''s their excuse the rest of the year then..!! LOL!!   ;D ;D ;D >:D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Janey28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
When exactly does Ramadam finish up???

We are there from 5th - 15th October???

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »
Think its the 14th Oct.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »

It is their religion and they are prepared to make sacrifices for it - if it were easy why bother  ?

Imagine other religions making similar sacrifices for fourty days - some people in the UK think that giving up chocolate for Lent is a big deal

Could you imagine them doing something similar to the Muslims?

Offline Queenie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
Janey 28,

Ramazan will be finished by the time you get here. It lasts for a month and starts tonight!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ramadan

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2019, 12:28:31 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Iso's

Views: 2558
By: pw
Heart on the beach sunset