Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What is happening to Kalkan?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
What is happening to Kalkan?
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
It is oh so very hot in Kalkan at the moment 90 plus, but please ladies & gentlemen please show a bit of dress code respect especially for the Turkish locals. There are males walking about, sitting in bars/ restaurants with no tops on, in alot of cases far from a welcome sight, females the same, in just bikini tops & very skimpy shorts. It only takes a TShirt or pretty flowing top to cover up. 
I am not going to apologise for mentioning this, sadly there seems to be a lacking of respect for others here now, far more noise from villas either rented out or villa owners, yes its a tourist town but there are others living here both Turkish & foreigners full time which also means alot of those people are working, either during the day or night, some almost both.
Yes, people are on holiday, yes you want to enjoy your time, but please also show some consideration/ respect for others, after all it costs nothing.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14254.0
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: What is happening to Kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »
Definitely with you on this. Not sure what the answer is though unless the cafe's and bars perhaps have a notice displaying dress code so that the waiters are then able to refer to this?

I'm guessing they won't want to lose business? It all comes down to manners and respect. Do you think Kalkan's holidaymakers are changing? Lots of talk of this on social media, also with people reporting large groups of younger people whose parents perhaps own villas. For those of you not on facebook, there are also lots of posts on re alcohol prices and how they have increased.

The arguments on there remind me very much of how this forum used to have rather heated debates and they are still discussing the same things we used to. eg dogs, kalkan changing for the worse etc etc. I just stay out of it.  ;D

Offline NormskiD

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
Agree totally with both DRDB & Lizilu, there does seem to be a lack of respect for local customs & morals over the last couple of years. We had a situation last year with regard to noise & bad language, which was soon nipped in the bud after a word with the local representative concerned. As for the cafes & bars restaurants losing trade because of this, it just needs a prominent sign to begin giving people the guidance some of them obviously require. Long live Kalkan in the manner to which we have come to love & respect.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
As we live here we know, that many establishments would not be offended if someone had a little word in their ear re dress code, afterall they know who their regular & resident customers are so they will be hoping to keep their customers obviously.

Yes the holiday makers are changing here, bearing mind also that we are getting more Turkish visitors too which is good. The question of large groups of youngers staying in parents villas has been an issue for several years & there certainly have been one or two in recent years. Noise rules hete are very strick, after midnight if disturbing its a Jardama issue, they will deal if called & this includes the letting off of fireworks.

Alcohol  high prices are really down to the government tax then plus the greed of some of the establishment owners, the prices in many places go up in the season. We visit some in the winter time & charged a reasonable price, come the beginning of the season they rise considerably & we have known it as much as 50%, needless to say we withdraw our custom. Suppose it goes on in many a UK holiday spot too.

There is no argument as far as we are concerned, we have known Kalkan for 26yrs missing one year, so feel we are qualified to our opinion. Obviously there have been changes & many an advantage, such as the D400, more supermarkets, bank etc but not others. The excessive building but poor infrastructure is a concern amongst other things.  It is our home,we have no other so obviously we care about Kalkan & what goes on in it but its not perfect, maybe for a couple of weeks but it has changed & is changing with many business people from outside Kalkan now here, together with different holiday makers.
Remeber a local waiter some years ago say to us" Kalkan is for the old english people especially in September October" 😁 that boosted us up.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »
We have a sign outside our village shop saying that shirts must be worn in order to be served......no one seems offended by this :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal