Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Any residents with health insurance advice please  (Read 5870 times)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Any residents with health insurance advice please
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:49:52 AM »
We are virtually on the cusp of retiring to Kalkan but are very confused/concerned regarding health care etc. Having just seen the vast rise in cost of SGK insurance I am wondering if any residents there have private health insurance and would be prepared to give some info on typical monthly costs/services you receive for the premium. It is all very daunting and am starting to get worried as every few days news is coming through On rising living costs. Also any advise as to whether this insurance is needed and is there any sort of health care available from the government once you are a resident, sorry if this is long winded and I am coming across as a bit dumb but I am very confused as to what is best.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Any residents with health insurance advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
If you are under 65 you will need to show an insurance policy to obtain residency.  Over 65 it is not obligatory.  Government insurance is called SGK and costs about 395 TL / month per couple if you can show a marriage certificate or else you must pay the same amount individually if you are not legally married.  SGK entitles you to all basic and many expensive services like cancer treatment.  But no electives, no prosthetic limbs, corneal transplants, etc.  Under 64 you can buy private health insurance.

Read this: http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/466253-big-hike-in-cost-of-turkish-state-health-insurance-sgk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:23:43 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »

Hi

Hopefully Antalya dont adopt Muglas operation of SGK where in that province each partner in a marriage has to pay the same premium

This would result in the cost for a couple to rise from  393 TL to 786 TL a month   a whopping 181 ponds a month in premiums

You actually wonder if the Turkish Government really want foreigners to live in Turkey or do they view them as cash cows to be milked

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
As I understand it this payment increase is for all, including Turkish members so it will be interesting how some of them will be able to afford these payments unless of course there is something we don't know. It seems to becoming far more complicated for foreigners to live in Turkey these days. We have Turkish friends who live in the UK, they are totally puzzled/horrified at some of the bureaucracy here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:21:10 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
£180+ per month for a couple does not seem unreasonable  for private health care compared  to some  other a  countries. Turkey has also been given fast track status for joining the EEC,  ( not the euro of course, who in their right minds would want to join that currency) so it might not affect that many brits   in the future   ,  as they will be entitled to free health cover if Turkey do join the EEC,  I know it is a big if though
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:18:00 AM by brian j p »

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:25:34 AM »
Thanks very much for the replies but was really wanting to hear from anyone living there that has taken private health insurance out and how it compares to SGK.

Offline Christineh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
Hi
We are thinking of retiring to Kalkan.  Can you still get SGK medical cover if you are 65 or over and if so is there eventually an age limit?   Also what if as a married couple one of you is 65 and the other one 60?
Thank you

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 05:35:00 AM »
If you are 65 or over you can still apply to join the SGK scheme but it doesnt cover pre-exisitng conditions and you now have to have a doctors report when making an application.Husband and wife have one policy and the husband is the main applicant (of course) The SGK office in Kas are very helpful and efficient (from my experience) but if asking lots of questions a Turkish speaker with you would be helpful.
We have used SGK for state clinic/hospital cover and also topped up in private hospitals - its a good system and has worked well for us....

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
I was under the impression once you are 65 and over you don't need private health insurance ??? Maybe I'm wrong. We have private medical insurance which you can do through your Turkish bank or Ilkeer in the stationary office is a real help or the broker Ali Tunc deals with it also. As far as I'm aware it is much cheaper than SGK

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »
When I enquired, private health insurance providers did not take people over 65  but SGK does and there is no age limit. However, to prove you are legally married you must show them an original marriage certificate which has been translated and notarized.  This can be done at the notary's office in Kas.  The current rate for a married couple is 395 TL / month.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Residents - Private health insurance

Started by amber on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 08:21:09 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Universal Health Insurance and SGK - Important news for residents

Started by amber on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 11:04:08 AM
by kevincat99
xx
Health Insurance

Started by KislaBlue on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 01:23:12 PM
by KislaBlue
xx
SGK Health Insurance

Started by kevincat99 on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 04:02:08 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Red Sunset.JPG

Views: 3056
By: Lindy
Korsan Staff