Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Burglqry  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Brosley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
Burglqry
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
What is this, media cover up of negative topics re Kalkan? How is it that there has been nothing mentioned about the recent burglary in Kalkan where a holiday maker was stabbed and seriously injured? Does anyone know if this is just a rumour or fact. If it is a fact what are the facts and how is the injured party?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13779.0

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Burglqry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »
I've read the report regarding an alleged stabbing of a tourist in Kisla......not sure if it's true or not but don't believe that anyone on this forum would want to 'cover it up'........if it were true. This forum has always reflected Kalkan as it is. I for one am really looking forward to my next visit in September.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »
I've not heard about this. Nothing on social media that I've seen tonight. Hope very much that this is not true for the poor tourist's sake but I'm pretty sure there would be no cover up on here. Sadly this forum is not quite as popular as it once was now all the Facebook Kalkan groups have evolved, so maybe  that's why you've not seen any mention of it on here Brosley.  ???

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »
I understand that it was reported on the KTLN feedback box and comments were made and John Fed removed the comments and asked that no more be posted until he is sure of the facts of this sad case and can report it accurately.  I think we should do the same on here. 
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »
The same happened on a Kalkan Facebook group too (comments removed with no explanation). Does make you wonder what's going on ...

Offline Brosley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Burglary
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
It is not right that some individuals deem it necessary to decide for everyone else who visits/ lives in Kalkan what they should or should not know. Everyone should know of the escalation to GBH and burglary from burglary and the associated dangers, the details can wait until provided by the authorities. I just hope this sort of crime does not occur again as it could of been prevented with a small amount of information/ warnings given via these websites. Who would be to blame then? 

Offline Mick07413

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
So what is the update. Has this happened. To what extent.

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »
KTLN and Friends of Kalkan fb page have decided, quite rightly,  that they will not invite comment or scare monger until the facts are known and consultations are made with the jandarma.
Brosley, if you are so concerned about cover ups perhaps you should come out, investigate, and post your own report? :-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:10:18 AM by Joules »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Regardless of the details or any cover-up, people have been told again and again that they should do whatever possible to protect their properties for themselves and their guests, AND ... NOT to confront burglars if they enter.  This advice is good worldwide!

Burglars exist everywhere, more so in tourist destinations. These kinds of incidents are regularly reported along the Costa del Sol in Spain but tourism there is firmly entrenched and relatively unaffected by it.  That's not the case with anywhere in Turkey where even the slightest comment reinforces avoidance behavior. 

I unfortunately posted on hotels.com a negative review of an Istanbul hotel because there were some minor inadequacies. I was then personally contacted by the manager who pointed out that tourism is already so bad that my comment can only make it worse.  She is right. I felt bad about it and tried to retract it without success.

What do we gain by posting negative news?  Warnings and news are not going to stop burglars, but they will discourage tourism and affect the livelihoods of many. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:12:20 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
The libel laws are very strict in Turkey and I think removing the posts from public forums and social media groups is right until the facts are known/whilst an investigation is ongoing is absolutely right plus the poor victim or their family may have requested it - we dont know.
I'm sure there will be a factual report on KTLN as soon as details are known, verified and the appropriate permission is granted.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Brosley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
This is from the family that were burgled, do you now think it should of been kept quiet? All we were trying to say is people need to be aware of these issues as does the family concerned.

A cautionary tale:
My husband and I have been coming to Kalkan since 2000, it is a place that we love (obviously) that something magical that keeps everyone coming back year on year.
Very sadly in July (our 15th visit) we became victims of the unthinkable. At around 3am on July 7th when we were sleeping, an intruder broke into our locked privately rented villa.
The intruder did not take anything.
My husband was awakened by his torch light and discovered him on the landing less than 2 metres away from us and our sleeping 9 year old son. Acting instinctively to protect us my husband chased the intruder down the stairs – he came to a stop on the stairs (he did not realise that he had in fact been stabbed in the leg) he regained his composure and continued to chase the intruder to get him out of the villa – at the doorway the intruder/attacker turned full on and stabbed my husband twice more once in the abdomen and then higher up in the side of the chest catching his lung.
The intruder/attacker escaped –I was seconds behind in the incident, slipping on my husband’s blood on the stairs, and falling before being able to hit the lights in time to see my husband coming back from the door saying ’he’s stabbed’ me. I ran outside and screamed for help – I was aware that only a handful of villas were occupied but thought it would be the quickest way of getting help. My voice echoed back at me across the bay. No one came. Running back into the villa I googled Kalkan emergency and got confused with the requirements of 112 (you had to be registered) so I dialled the long number – no reply – then I dialled the key holder – no reply - so as a last resort I dialled the owner of the villa who thankfully was there and said he would get help which he did. My husband was taken to Kas public Hospital and then airlifted to a private hospital in Antalya.
THE NEXT POINT IS WORTH EVERYBODY NOTING: Our insurance company (Alpha Travel Insurance) did NOTHING AT ALL to help us. (If you want to know more about this then you can go to the trust pilot review site and click on the 1 star review – you might consider sharing the review in order to keep your own friends and family safe.
It was the Villa Manager and some local people who came to our aid.
I’ve decided to post this for a number of reasons.
First of all to thank the people of Kalkan, Kas and Antalya who helped us.
Secondly in order to allow villa owners and visitors to be aware so they can stay vigilant and take the necessary measures, should they need to up their security.
From our experience perhaps it would be worth considering keeping the emergency numbers visible by the front door, to save time.
And finally so you can all do your homework with regards to travel insurance as you’re always several ‘clicks’ away from what your actually covered for – pay particular attention to the exclusions on the medical section – you may believe you are covered to the tune of 10 million pounds but that’s probably very unlikely – travel insurance is a tangled murky web designed to deter people already depleted and vulnerable from their experiences ours being particularly dreadful.
So not only have we had to endure a horrific experience in our special holiday place we have also had a month long social media mudslinger of a battle to get reimbursed for our outlay.
We as a family are sad, exhausted and hurting. The physically injuries my husband sustained are healing, the psychological damage has yet to reveal itself in its entirety this will take time, there is no magic wand for this.
We are left now to find our own way though this – legally there is no assistance without engaging a Turkish lawyer at our own expense and even then everything appears so vague I’m not sure we have the energy to pursue or even know what we are pursuing.
There is no help from the UK Government as surprisingly though Turkey comes under Europe for travel insurance purposes, should you be unfortunate to be the victim of a criminal attack then you’re on your own. (Not intended as a sob story just plain fact.)
Will we ever come back to Kalkan, we can’t say yet, everything is too raw. We are trying to focus on the good as we attempt to move forward. I have told my son to keep in mind all the wonderful Turkish people who helped us, both after the incident AND a couple of days before when our car got blocked in near the market and a group of local men actually attempted to lift our car clear for us!
I have also told him to keep in mind that of the 3000 people living in the area 2999 are his friends and just 1 is not and it’s the 2999 that he needs to try and focus on.
We know we are lucky that we all came home together but me and my son are equally aware that we could have very easily returned as a family of two. We count our blessings, we are fortunate unfortunates.
Our story needs telling it should not be swept under the carpet. It happened and we can’t change that, I think it would be a disservice not to voice this and I am hoping that telling it here to friends of Kalkan it will allow families and their children to be safer in their travels without scaremongering.
We would sincerely like to thank
Our friends in Kalkan – you know who you are.
Ipek Tolbas of Villa Mahal for her generous offer of support should we need it.
The doctors and nurses at Kas public Hospital
The Government of Turkey for providing the helicopter
Heyriye Temiz – and staff at Medstar Hastanesi, Antalya
Susan Hay and the staff in the office of Jeremy Quin MP, Parliament London.
Sibel – Consular Services Antalya
Isobel Frodsham @Mailonline
Most of all I want to thank our son for being the bravest boy I know, my little rock and someone else’s big rock in the making. His 10th birthday was not quite what he expected.
And finally to my husband – such a wonderful human being who would do anything for anyone.
He is our hero and I have his back and will fight to get him the justice he deserves.
We wish Kalkan only the best.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
All credit to this lady for putting this statement on the original social media page. This is a really horrible & very serious incident, it's been made even worse by the lack of back up of support as she reports.

Can only wish her & her family a full recovery albeit taking some time as can only be expected.

Could say a lot more but daresay it has been said or will be.

Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
well said DRBD !

Offline KlknBtrc

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
Thank you Brosley for sharing post,

That event made all Kalkan schock , But keeping under carpet ,  that was bigger schock, We said that should be on the news and chase KAS districk governor , Mayor for camera system in Kalkan. Even Antalya governer we could write a letter as  Kalkan problem getting worse , we all together could  do something about it.

People might be thinking they did good thing for Kalkan, But they didnt,    Hopefully they  realise that..

I wish she and her family forgive us , Because we all couldnt  stand behind this family,  :-[   :-[   :-[   :-[ :-[

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
What a terrible experience especially for the little one but you are so right so many more good than bad people everywhere thank goodness. Glad to hear physically your OH is on the mend and of course the emotional scars always take longer, you've all been through the mill. Thanks for highlighting the insurance thing was really shocked what a swindle, all you need is wrangling with them after all you've had to deal with. Hope you manage to sort something out and get back to some normality, take good care of yourselves. Hope it doesn't put you off magical Kalkan although I can't imagine if it was us. Best wishes.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
I really dont think anyone was covering this up as the facts and rumour often become entwined and care was taken not to let that happen with this very serious incident. I read the original post on Facebook and she got a huge reaction, all of it positive and very much of concern for their wellbeing and continued recovery. I actually cried when I read it the first time as it was so articulate but emotionally charged.
There is a very good update on KTLN and CCTV is mentioned.

Offline tlj2017

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »
It's taken me almost 2 year to respond to this as I've been pretty busy re settling my son, and helping my husband in his recovery - I can honestly say though that these comments by Cosetta still make me angry to this day.    Nowhere did I mention in my statement that it was a burglar - All I know is that an intruder was in our villa within 2 metres of our sleeping 9 year old. The intruder had also opened up the patio door ready for his getaway.  I have had COUNTLESS nightmares about this and played through a million worst case scenarios. Our healing is still going on.
My husband was stabbed because he was protecting his family.  NOT because he was confronting a burglar.  Before you choose to comment again think carefully, and if you are commenting from assumptions without knowing the facts - I would suggest you keep quiet.
Regardless of the details or any cover-up, people have been told again and again that they should do whatever possible to protect their properties for themselves and their guests, AND ... NOT to confront burglars if they enter.  This advice is good worldwide!

Burglars exist everywhere, more so in tourist destinations. These kinds of incidents are regularly reported along the Costa del Sol in Spain but tourism there is firmly entrenched and relatively unaffected by it.  That's not the case with anywhere in Turkey where even the slightest comment reinforces avoidance behavior. 

I unfortunately posted on hotels.com a negative review of an Istanbul hotel because there were some minor inadequacies. I was then personally contacted by the manager who pointed out that tourism is already so bad that my comment can only make it worse.  She is right. I felt bad about it and tried to retract it without success.

What do we gain by posting negative news?  Warnings and news are not going to stop burglars, but they will discourage tourism and affect the livelihoods of many.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 06:13:32 AM »
Tlj2017....I & I am sure others have often wondered how you & your family are getting on. But am pleased to hear that albeit it's been a long hard struggle you are all mending after the horrific incident & wish you all well for the future.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

028.JPG

Views: 3894
By: kaz1865
cappadocia