Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Electricity Bills Gone Up!!?  (Read 9077 times)

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Electricity Bills Gone Up!!?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
We have noticed quite a reduction since using the low temp wash cycle on the dish washer and washing machine without any detriment to cleaning.
  I believe that the meter has to be set to the three tariff reading otherwise it's just the single rate. You would need to check usage as the early evening tariff is quite high.

baklavabuddy

baklavabuddy
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »
I agree; using 30 degree setting and washing in the night helps. I definitely have the three tarrifs, thought everyone had?

Offline Em

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
I went into the local Tedas/ electric office in Kalkan with my Turkish managing agent, we asked them to look at my electricity bill to see if I was on the best tarrif for my use and guests use, it turned out that I was.

However I think its a good idea to ask what tarrif you are on, as we each have different usage.. You would hope, being on the right tarrif could make a difference to your bills.

I think if you live here, it would make a difference using washing machine after 10pm, switching the water heater off etc,

Quick Update: the electritians fitted the key card yesterday, it took them about an hour and a half, they did not make a mess or have to channel out any walls. They used a redundant light switch (very handy!) situated by our front door. We left the washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, cooker and outside lights out of the loop. Most of our outside lights are on timers and some are on security sensors.

Now we need to find someone to weld the key card to the key ring.... was thinking of popping into just silver.

Em x

Offline dingbat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
Anyone noticed a big change in the cost of electric? or is it just me? :o

Also has anyone got any suggestions as to how to keep the bills down, we have a couple of indoor lights on sensors, the outside and pool lights are on timers, even got a hose to water the garden flowers on a timer!!! however the water bill is another story

We ask the guests in the welcome pack to turn things off, air con units etc when they go out, but sometimes people forget...

Has anyone used/bought a key card type of system here?, like they have in hotels...the key card is welded !!! to the villa key, so guests have to take it out of its connector as they leave the villa therefore all electric is switched off apart from the fridge which would not be put into the electric loop...  when guest return, they put card back in connector..... ?????

Em
Hi I have that key card system myself and works fine although you must be careful who wires it up as they nearly set the villa on fire the first time it was installed , also the key and card must be on a ring that is welded . It is situated just inside the front door and all electrics go off except living room lights , fridge and wash m/c plus pool motor 

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
For all of you thinking about installing these type of gadgets if they are the same as they use in the hotels in spain,a slot on the wall that you slide the key fob in,there is a way of getting around them so the ac doesnt go off,unless they have some sort of chip on the fob its easy to keep the electric on,with a piece of card board,so I would check before you splash out you hard earned cash.  :o
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:38:00 PM by fidimax »
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice on how to be economical with electricity. 

I have established there are three rates as follows:

06.00 - 17.00 day rate
17.00 - 22.00 peak rate
22.00 - 06.00 off peak rate

and also, that it is cheaper to turn off the immersion heater when not in use. I was amazed to find the water was still hot after 24 hours of the immersion being turned off, although I am a single user.

I'm going to need the money saved to go towards the cost of paying for annual residency, even though I'm only here for six month of the year at most!

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Heres some suggestions for saving electricity.

1) Water Heating. Always fit a timeclock and only heat the water in the off-peak period. The best type of time clock is the ones we have in the UK, such as a Horstmann Quartz. This is programmable and also has a manual boost switch in case you run out of hot water. Make sure that the size of the hot water cylinder is correct to the size of the property and the potential demand. If you can, fit solar water heating but always have electric back up for those cloudy winter days.

2) Try and do your washing in the off-peak period.

3) Lights. Do not switch flourescents or low energy type lights on/off for short periods. Either leave them on or leave them off. Its the initial start up that consumes the most electricity, the actual running is minimal.

4) Swimming Pools. Turn the underwater lights off and leave them off, light polution, or at least put them on a timed circuit. Make sure that your circulating pump is on a timeclock and that it is adjusted correctly, and has a battery back up for those nasty Kalkan power outages.

5) Air Conditioning. If you are in the fortunate position to be having a villa built, or are early in its construction then make sure that the A/C Units are on a seperate electrical circuit.
Then either put in a card control unit at the front door, or fit a heavy duty timeclock that only allows the circuit to be energised at certain preset times.
Try and make sure that the external condenser unit is sited in the shade and not in direct sunlight. Make sure that the output of the unit is correctly sized for the room and the thermal conductivity of the walls.
A/C should best be run at about 10*C less than the outside temperature. At night for sleeping, it should be run at about 5/6*C less as the external temperature will fall throughout the night and your body temperature will also fall. There is no point in continually running it at say 16*C as you will freeze. Also, when you first start up run the unit on fast fan speed and a low temperature setting to quickly cool the room and then reduce the fan speed and turn the temperature up a few degrees. You need to 'work the unit' to suit your needs.

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
Electricity costs rose more or less in line with inflation last year - 9.5% from June '09 to June '10. Triple tariff meters are available in Kalkan - I have one, but I believe they are not universally supplied - you may have to buy one. Current rates per kWh in TL:
peak 0.282936
normal 0.165452
cheap 0.080958

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Electricity Bills

Started by alantj on Living In Kalkan

15 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 09:35:09 PM
by tiamaria
xx
Electricity Bills

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 10:11:57 PM
by zola
xx
Electricity bills.

Started by baclava on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 06:28:58 PM
by baclava
xx
Xfer of name on electricity, water bills from builder to owner

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 10:41:36 PM
by jfm

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Taurus mountains

Views: 3847
By: Babadag
Harbour