Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: FLAT SCREEN TV'S IN KALKAN, TURKEY  (Read 13526 times)

Offline susieb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
FLAT SCREEN TV'S IN KALKAN, TURKEY
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
Hi

We are looking for a flat screen TFT or LCD television - does anybody know where the best deals are ? in Kalkan, Kas or Fethyie ?

Cheers

Susie

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=973.0

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: FLAT SCREEN TV'S IN KALKAN, TURKEY
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
The three best local makes are Arcelik, Beko and Vestel. All of these manufacturers have excellent reputations, three year guarantees and superb service. The first two export throughout Europe, including the UK.  All three companies have shops in Kas and Vestel has a Kalkan shop, on the market road, almost opposite Kartin supermarket.
 The best idea when you get here is to shop around, all three companies have regular promotions, so you can see what offers are available when you are ready to buy. If you are paying cash you should be able to negotiate a further small discount off the offer price.

We have had our flat screen tv for eighteen months now, superb picture and no problem from the day it was installed.
 Lantana

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Have a look on the internet - as Lantana says, there are regular promotions from all the major companies.

We have a Telefunken TV, bought from the Bosch dealer in Kas, on the Kalkan/Kas road on left hand side at the corner immediately before the traffic lights (directly opposite Migros). We''ve had it nearly 2 years and (touch wood) no problems.
Most of the large appliances we have bought have come from them, and we have found, on the very few occasions that anything has needed repaired, that Bosch service is excellent.

On the other hand, I would say avoid any Vestel products as you would avoid bubonic plague - I have yet to hear anything good about them.

Our personal experience - we were foolish enough to buy 2 items from Vestel - a DVD player, which lasted 6 months then died. It was repaired under guarantee, but it took 6 weeks for them to do so - or the maximum 30 working days specified under the guarantee. It lasted a year after that, then packed up again.
The second item was a vacuum cleaner, the motor of which burned out after a few months. It was repaired under guarantee, then burned out a second time. Back it went to be repaired a second time under guarantee, again they took the maximum 6 weeks allowed under the guarantee conditions before it was returned. Then it burned out a third time! (and before anyone says so, no, we weren''t using it in any strange or unusual ways!!)
Each breakdown meant repeated visits to the shop, and endless telephone calls to the service centre, and at the end of the day we decided it wasn''t worth the bother, gave up and replaced both items with other manufacturers'' products.

Thankfully, both the items we bought were small appliances,  not high priced things like a flatscreen TV.

Several friends have bought televisions (though not flat screen) and every single one has had trouble with them.
Two of them owned other brand decoders before they bought the Vestel TVs, but found they wouldn''t work with the Vestel TVs. The Service people said that was normal, and they''d have to buy Vestel decoders.

So now, I''m afraid, if I were offered anything from Vestel free of charge, I still wouldn''t take it!
Happy shopping!

Offline susiea

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
Hi Lantana and Vicksen

Thank you very much for the information, most helpful.  We are going out shortly and probably will go to Kas and have a look on the internet before we go.

Many Thanks again.

Susie B

Offline kevywevy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • I only smile when im in kalkan,
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
I brought mine from england in my suitcase ,i made sure it was well wrapped ,doing this saved hundreds of pounds worth a try as flat screens are so cheap in england xx kev

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:30:19 AM »
You can do this - but you''re breaking the law. :o

You are not allowed to bring anything electronic into Turkey without declaring it and having it written on your passport, which of course means you have to take it back out with you.

Now there is a saying that "it''s only illegal if you''re caught", and whilst you were lucky enough to get away with it, kevy, if they''d caught you, they could not only confiscate the item, you could be fined as well.

So you do it at your peril!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
We did the same thing with a cd player, we took it in our hand luggage. We did advise the check in staff at Gatwick but they didn''t write anything on our passport. I didn''t realise it was illegal. You learn something new everyday!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:26 AM »
Likewise - we did same thing with a dvd player in our suitcase - no idea it was illegal - seems strange to me that if it is for your own personal use - it is illegal..but as you say - you learn something new everyday....
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
Hi Lorretta,
It''s not illegal to take electronic items out of the UK, and it''s not illegal to take them in the ''plane, so the people at Gatwick, or any other UK airport, wouldn''t care.

Where the illegal bit comes in is bringing into Turkey.
You aren''t allowed to bring in anything electronic which you intend to leave here, doesn''t matter if it''s for your own use or not. So you can bring, for instance, a CD player to use on holiday, but it should be declared at the airport, they write it in your passport, and you have to take it out again when you leave.

Same with laptops, computers etc.
Lots of people do bring stuff in with them, but as I said, it''s at your own risk - if you get caught, it''s smuggling,  >:D, and you''re in trouble.

Turkey is no different to the UK - legally, you can take only 200 cigarettes, 1 litre of spirits etc etc, plus £145 worth of other goods.
Now in practice, the customs people very rarely strictly enforce the £145 rule; only if you very obviously have items well over that value. For instance, try to enter the UK with 2 carpets, a leather jacket and a gold necklace, and if you are caught, they will enforce the rules.

And "sorry guv, I didn''t know"... doesn''t help, ignorance is no defence I''m afraid, in Turkey or in Britain.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
As Vicksen has said, the fines for illegally importing electrical goods are very high. You can be fined up to twenty times the value of the item and it will be confiscated.
 More to the point, imported items cannot be serviced here under guarantee if anything goes wrong and indeed it may be impossible to have them repaired at all if there is a problem.

With the major manufacturers here offering three year guarantees on electrical items as standard, and with local prices becoming ever more competitive, bringing in electrical items hardly seems worth the risk.

Three  years ago in Migros in Fethiye, we bought an additional DVD player, made by Shov, just about the cheapest brand around. It cost then, twenty five pounds and it is still working perfectly.

We also recently bought an Arcelik version of a Dyson bagless vacuum cleaner, it is superb, has a standard three year guarantee and cost eighty pounds. The equivalent in the UK costs £175.

Lantana

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »
Hi Vicksen,
thanks for clarifying that.
I know all too well about ignorance being no defence, I have experienced it first hand at Gatwick when I brought back 600 ciggies, I got stopped and they confiscated the lot! I have never done it since and guess what I have never been stopped since. What is worrying is that I have heard several of the staff in Duty Free at Dalaman telling customers there is no limit on the amount of cigarettes they can bring into the UK. I know this is the case in EU countries, but as you rightly point out there is a limit of 200 cigarettes if you are coming from a non EU country.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »
I think the limit only applies to duty free goods. So if you bought your cigarettes in Kalkan, and paid tax on them, it doesn''t matter how many you bring back to UK (up to £145 worth...obviously) I''m not a smoker, so I don''t know if Turkish cigarettes are nicer/cheaper than those you can buy in duty free at Dalaman. ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 07:46:20 PM »
Hi eva, no, ''fraid not!
if you want to enter the UK with goods purchased in a non-EU country (such as Turkey),
whether the goods have had taxes paid on them in that country or whether they were bought duty-free makes no difference.

The allowances without duty and/or taxes having to be paid are :

200 cigarettes or 250 grams of tobacco or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars
60 cc  of perfume
250 cc  of eau de toilette
2 litres of still table wine and 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% alcohol volume OR 2 litres of fortified wine (e.g. sherry or port), sparkling wine or other liqueurs
£145 worth of any other goods, including souvenirs and presents

Those are your limits.

Buy anything above that, no matter from where in a non-EU country, and you become liable for import duty and VAT.
The cigarettes etc are not included in the £145, they are on top of the £145.

BUT, if you bring in goods (including souvenirs and presents) which have a total value of over £145, you become liable for duty/tax on the whole cost of those goods, NOT just the part over the £145.
So, for example, buy a carpet for £200, a leather jacket for £70, a gold bangle for £200, and a couple of pottery plates for £45, and you become liable for duty/tax on £510.

All this info is available from any HM customs office, or at any of the airports or points of entry into the UK, or on line.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
Thanks for that Vicksen, very good information to know. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
Hi Vicksen
thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow....wouldn''t want to have all my lovely Bombay Saphire confiscated... ;D

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
wouldn''''t want to have all my lovely Bombay Saphire confiscated... ;D

Bombay sapphire??? ???

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
You mustn''t be a gin drinker vicksen... ;)
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »
The ''Mercedes'' version of Gordon''s Vicksen! 

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
Mmmmmmm....Bombay Sapphire, ice, tonic and a splash of fresh orage juice, perfect Kalkan balcony drink, especially when its been made by Mr B!  ;)

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
ahhhh, you can see I have led a sheltered life!  ;)

The general knowledge you pick up on this forum is astonishing!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flat screen TV for sale

Started by kevincat99 on Classifieds - Available

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 09:24:55 AM
by paula09
xx
Flat screen monitors

Started by felicity on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 10:07:28 PM
by howmad
clip
Tablet PC Gpad F35 9 inch screen

Started by lordwizlon on Classifieds - Available

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 07:11:25 AM
by kally13
xx
LOOKING FOR FLAT OR VILLA TO LET LONG TERM

Started by morgan T on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 06:55:37 PM
by kalkan.org

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

hotel-rest-mosque

Views: 4304
By: irfan
Saklikent Gorge.