Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help a Stray  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Onesque

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Help a Stray
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:27:31 PM »
Call me sad if you wish, but my wife and I have visited Kalkan every September for the last 8 years and we always find some poor soul in need of help (animal).
A few years ago we found a poor young dog injured on the main street, outside Abbi travel. We ended up calling the vet as most people were happy to walk on by as though the poor thing wasn''t there. In the end I ended up carrying the dog on a stretcher made out of a notice board to a hotel were it was kept over night. The dog eventually appeared outside our room (don''t ask me how) a few days later, the happy end to the story is that a holiday maker loved the pup and took the dog home to England.
We seem to befriend a stray each year we visit Kalkan which brings me to the point of this post.
This year we befriended two young dogs (actually they were bitches) which seemed to have been abandoned on the track near to the coast guard station at the harbour. These two appeared to be from the same litter (if thats what dogs have?) and were very friendly and greeted us each night as we passed by. We bought dog food for them and fed them each night.
I was wondering if anyone living in Kalkan has come across these two, they are both light brown in colour, and seem to live under the sun loungers at the side of the pump house, adjacent to the coast guard station. I would like to think that they are still been catered for by other people as crazy as we are. If anyone can give me any information on their welfare I would be greatful.

Incidently there was a very nice kitten opposite the Mariner restaurant which also received the VIP treatment whilst we were there.

I think it would be nice if other worthy candidates were brought to the attention of visitors or residents via this forum, in order that they could be catered for, or am I just been soft?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2566.0

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Help a Stray
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
In honesty most of us who live in Kalkan feed/ assist street animals, whilst it is very ''kind'' of holidaymakers to alert us of animals in need of homes etc it would be more helpful if they dropped £50 into the collection box to assist in neutering and feeding.
At present I think we would all agree that the street dog population is out of control and we need to press on with the neutering to ensure this situation doesn''t get worse.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:31:34 AM by Mercimek »

Offline Onesque

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »
Yes I agree entirely we also donate as well.

I have heard that it is sometimes custom for animals to be dumped in Kalkan in the hope that they will be cared for by kind hearted residents and visitors.

I suppose there are two sides to the coin, those people that like animals and the others. I for one enjoy their company and always feel a little sad when we leave.

I can remember the ginger cat with the crooked foot that can normally be found near to Merkez when it was a kitten, its nice to know that some manage to survive.

Anyway enough of my ramblings for now I feel a glass of wine coming on.

Offline Gary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:09:23 AM »
whilst i see where you are coming from by feeding the ways and strays what happens when your not there you have gone back to the UK or something else crops up do you think its fair for them to stave as they have become dependent on you its a 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other

In honesty most of us who live in Kalkan feed/ assist street animals, whilst it is very ''''kind'''' of holidaymakers to alert us of animals in need of homes etc it would be more helpful if they dropped £50 into the collection box to assist in neutering and feeding.
At present I think we would all agree that the street dog population is out of control and we need to press on with the neutering to ensure this situation doesn''t get worse.

i think this is whats needed we have the same problems in fethiye

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:51 AM »
And to do this donations are needed-rather than buying a small box of (expensive) cat/ dog food in Kalkan, the money donated to Kapsa will go much further to help the neutering/ winter feeding programme.
Gary you are quite right as many animals are fed by holidaymakers and then at the end of season their source of food disappears, which in effect is cruel.
Also it''s all very well feeding the nice fluffy cat that comes to your villa for two weeks but if the people that arrive next week don''t like cats what happens then?

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
Good points, Mercimek.

One thing has become apparent as the season has progressed to its close is just how much more aggressive the native dogs and cats have become as they compete harder with each other for dwindling food supplies.

I suspect the fights which have been increasingly voluble for the past fortnight will become much more so tonight, as a number of restaurants closed yesterday.

Donations to KAPSA sound like the way forward. I speak from personal experience when I say that expatriating a cared for animal to the UK is a long - winded and expensive process.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How are the stray animals doing?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 08:10:20 PM
by Chucky
xx
History of stray dogs in Turkey

Started by KAPSA Kalkan on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

0 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 10:38:23 AM
by KAPSA Kalkan
xx
Stray dogs on Patara beach

Started by Phil on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 06:48:40 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal