Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pool Maintenance what cost?  (Read 9180 times)

Offline theinspector

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Pool Maintenance what cost?
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi Kalkanites can anyone give us a rough idea as to the Annual cost of maintaining a swimming pool including the cost of chemicals per season. it is an average sized pool 4mtrs x 5mtrs x2mtrs deep. As yet we are not metered.
So we need to know the cost of filling the pool ie cost per cubic mtr
AND for watering the Garden
thanks for any info received
Michael

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1643.0

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: Pool Maintenance what cost?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »
It is not possible to give an indication of the average  cost of pool chemicals as there is no such thing as average useage. The water should be tested daily and the chemicals added accordingly. The more a pool is used, the more chemical adjustment it will need. If people using the pool are wearing sun tan lotion, this contaminates the water and  again further chemical are needed.

Chemical useage can be cut dramatically by installing a pool wizard. This saves the pool owner money, is far less harmful to the environment and makes he pool much more pleasant to swim in.

There is an inexpensive one -off installation cost (less than £100) and this cost can be entirely recouped in a season by the savings on chemicals.

There is a distributor in Kalakn who can give you much more detailed information.

Lantana

Lantana

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
I agree - and I think that is the reason why you have not had any responses and to your request for charges for pool maintenance and garden  - is because there is no such thing as an average pool or garden etc etc.  Unless you live somewhere where there is/are identical properties then no 2 pools will be the same depth size and diameter and as Lantana says - it depends on usage - and all manner of other variables...same with your garden - will require watering daily - but how big, how much water how much man time will depend on so many variables...!!  If you are concerned - better to get lots of bespoke quotes from lots of different people and then take it from there..!!

Sorry not to be of much help..!!  :(
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline theinspector

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »
thanks lantana &felicity for your advice . Yes if you have the address &cantact details of the pool wizard guy that would be great we are due out again in june for a week so could get it set up
I realy wanted to know also the cost per cubic meter ie what the water board charge
And if i may be so bold as to ask the cost of instaling an electric meter  or can i get this information from the local council ie the beleidysei :) think thats spelt wrong :-)) thanks again
mike
ps the pool wizard is that just instalation cost? what is the cost of the  item itself or is that it £100 in total
thanks

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
I believe it is a one off charge which covers cost and installation. I don''t have precise contact details but if when you are out here you go and see a lady called Bridget, in the Estate Agency (sorry can''t remember name) which is on the main road into the old village, just past Moonlight Bar and the jeans shop (on the same side of the road) next to the new jewellers, and almost opposite ABI travel, I know she has all the details as I got my initial information from her.

If this message has just confused you even more, let me know and I will call into her office in the next couple of days and get you a phone number.
lantana

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
I would think about £1000 plus filling and chemicals but including the garden make sure its all year plenty of plants die in the winter

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
Hi Inspector,
A lot of the people I know have an overall contract to cover the pool, garden, maid service when anyone is using the villa,cleaning and general maintainence. Water, pool chemicals, electricity and insurance are billed separately with full documentation. This seems ok as they all depend on usage. The above contract costs approx £1200 a year. We are so pleased with the service as are our friends. However, I think that the builder only provides this service to the villas he has built.
All the best
Stevie 

Offline Kas

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
pool wizard
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:17:03 AM »
Hi All,

Can someone please tell what a pool wizard is?

Thanks

Palle

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Pool Maintenance what cost? - Pool Wizard
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »
We and our 3 surrounding neighbors have the Pool Wizard in our pools since 2 years (annual refill required).  This is a copper product that prevents the growth of algae.  It works well as long as you follow Rod''s instructions.  Rod Rea is the local agent and you can find him in the Beyhan Property office more or less opposite Abi Travel on the main road going down toward the Merkez cafe.

The advantage of this product is that you use very little chlorine (therefore you buy very little).  Certain shops in town that sell pool chemicals are discouraging people from using the Pool Wizard, mainly in my view, as they then sell fewer pool chemicals.

Rod is very helpful and will give you precise instructions on the correct usage to prevent algae.  Since we''ve been using the this we have not had ANY algae, whether black or green, and we did before we started this program.  In fact, before we started with the Pool Wizard, we were buying from Istanbul Shock Chlorine at the beginning of every season.  This year we did not use any.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »
I hope to follow up on this thread when I am in Kalkan next week - I will try to meet with Rod and may get in touch with you, Cosetta if it is alright.  On the face of it, this sounds very interesting and would be very useful for our apartments and friends'' villas; however, some research on the Internet leaves me a little confused. 

Google provides many references to Pool Wizard and many refer to similar looking products, but the only website I could find is http://www.poolwizard.net/about-pools.htm - a South African company which has set up in the US and has distribution from Istanbul (http://www.havuz.org/).  Furthermore, their buying page states: "Orders and sales are currently suspended pending EPA registration. All existing customers will be notified as soon as approved."  I presume EPA is the Environmental Protection Agency in the US, but it is not clear.

I hope this product will work out as we would all like to use fewer chemicals and if what I read is accurate, it will keep the water clear through the winter as well.

Mark
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »
Mark, this is the same company but there is a distributor here in Kalkan.  I believe, but don''t quote me, that the company owner who lives in Istanbul has applied to market this product in the US for which he must obtain permission from the EPA.  The ''sales suspended'' refers, I think, to sales to the US, but you would have to clarify this with Rod.

I do not think that Pool Wizard alone would be sufficient to keep the water clear during the winter without other chemicals. Rod also knows the answer to this.  My experience is that a recharge lasts through a summer season if you don''t backwash too often (dilutes the ion concentration in the water).  We backwash every 3x we vacuum, meaning about every 3 weeks, and this has been sufficient to maintain our pool but we are only 2 people using the pool.  We also use a bacterial test kit and our pool water is clean and free of both algae and bacteria.

Using Pool Wizard, you would definitely use fewer chemicals in the water.

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »
Thanks, will definitely look into this and contact Rod next week...Mark

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
Mark
Did you manage to get a pool wizard and if so how much did it cost altogether with fitting?

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
The Pool Wizard cost is still 190 YTL for first year on a pool up to 65-70 tonnes (cubic meters). Years 2 and 3 cost 110 YTL for chemical recharges. Cost includes fitting, and expert assistance which should never be required. As Lantana has said cost will be recouped in chemical savings. Main advantages are using only 25% of normal chlorine levels for MUCH cleaner, healthier water - and maintenance time cut by about 50%. Anyone can PM me for more information and the contact phone number.

r2

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
Hi rat2
Do you have one and does it do what it says on the packet?

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »
Kalkanbelle,

No I did not, but only because I did not get my act together last trip and we were getting ready to wind down the pool.  Will look into this again in December for next season. 

Mark

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 10:55:28 PM »
kevincat99 & TheFeds

Yes, it does exactly what it says on the packet - I''ve just completed my 3rd year. I''d never attempted pool maintenance before but was tired of paying huge chemical bills. I now know how cheap and easy it can be. I spend about 5 minutes a day on average, looking after my 65 tonne pool and it''s perfect. Visitors comment on the excellent water quality, I never get algae and the water sparkles despite using only pH- and a small quantity of chlorine (pH 7.2 - 7.6 and chlorine 0.5ppm).
There is NO down side. With more aggressive marketing and less false adverse publicity from those with a vested interest in selling pool chemicals I''m sure more people would be using it. They soon will anyway, Pool Wizard''s best advertising is by word of mouth through those who have used it and know.

r2

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »
re the electric & water meters, you will of course need to the owner and therefore have your Tapu to register for the services, you cannot do this is you are only a tenant. Electric is done by Tedas and water by the Belediye.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cost of maintenance for paying guests

Started by Pauline on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 09:03:54 PM
by Chucky
xx
pool maintenance

Started by chickengeorge on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 06:28:08 PM
by MartynE
xx
Pool maintenance only required!

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 03:03:11 PM
by Shambo
xx
Gardener / pool maintenance man available

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 09:28:30 PM
by Cosetta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal