Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Smoking Ban  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Smoking Ban
« on: January 15, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
I understand that the Smoking Ban comes into force in Turkey from April 2008. There is an exception for bars, cafes and restaurants, which must be smoke-free within 18 months. Fines for individuals breaking the law are stated to be 50 lira and penalties between 500 and 5000 lira for establishments.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1011.0

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: Smoking Ban
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »
 :o oh no.
I know this is a subject which gives rise to much heated debate. Consider myself to be a "considerate tobacco addict" and wouldn''t dream of lighting a cigarette in a restaurant where people around me are eating but do enjoy a cigarette on a rooftop terrace after everyone has finished eating so hope this won''t be "illegal"
As a smoker I also hate when people light up when I''m eating and can''t stand being in an enclosed smokey atmosphere but not sure if roof terraces will be exempt as technically it is "outdoors"
I''ll duck now to avoid any backlash  :-[

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
I posted to pass on information, not to light a heated debate, if you''ll pardon the pun!!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
absolutely pardoned! wasn''t suggesting at all that you were looking for a heated debate merely that in my experience this particular subject gets lots of people talking.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »
It is part of the new Laws coming in re the EU Harmonization process. There are about 170 of them. There are also ones about the treatment of animals, education, women''s rights and employment reforms etc. There was an article about them in the Zaman on 15/1/08 that maybe of interest. A discussion about all of these and their implications maybe better than just homing in on the "Smoking" gun. I was not being pompous, rather I was trying to head off yet another debate on smoking.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
yeah read an article on it earlier and was interested in the debate about exactly how the law would be policed. Interesting times indeed.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
To be honest I am a 20 a day smoker but what with the ban in the UK and now a proposed ban in Turkey I think I will have to give serious consideration to giving up.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
LOL Loretta - think how much money you will save  ;)  One of my young turkish friends has decided to give up - doesn''t want to spend his life coughing like his older brother - so I took him some nicorrette gum from the UK and he hasn''t had a smoke since ;)  however - he does say that he is eating more (mind you - he needs to...but I guess that is a down side  >:D)

I think it is this proposed ban that made him decide so maybe some more turks will do the same..!!  I must say - that I agree with the policing issue - knowing how lax they are about things - I think having the ban and enforcing it will be completely different in turkey than it is here!!

I am also wondering how open top rooftop restaurants will be classified - open air or a restaurant....it is difficult.... :o
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
I must say - that I agree with the policing issue - knowing how lax they are about things - I think having the ban and enforcing it will be completely different in turkey compared with here

Good grief - you think law enforcement in Turkey is lax compared with the UK???

Please do tell us which laws aren''t enforced?
I would reckon that there is not a Turk the length and breadth of this nation, no, nor a foreigner who''s actually lived here either, who would agree with you!
Particularly any of those who fall foul of the practically daily police/jandarma road blocks and traffic checks!

On the smoking ban, the Jandarma have already started going round the cafés and lokantas in the villages warning them of the consequences of ignoring the ban once it comes in; oh yes, make no mistake, it WILL be enforced.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Got to agree with you there Vicksen, the Police/Jarndarma are far from lax in our experience.  Late last year we witnessed an incident and the Jarndarma were called  They were very quick and we were "ordered" to attend the scene, the incident was dealt with within hours not days and fortunately turned out not to as serious as first thought. In fact we were very impressed and felt reassured at their handling of things.
Upon our more recent visit the Jarndarma were out in the village dealing with motoring/parking offences and take it from me they were not being lax.

In comparison, here in the UK I have recently witnesses a theft and offender, as no police officer available & police station open I reported the mater via their website - 2 days later I was contacted to to be told that as there was no report from the victim they were unable to deal with my report or even the description given of the offender - Now that I call lax and appalling.  ::)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
To quote Felicity "knowing how lax they are about things" perhaps she could give us examples of what she knows or has experienced?

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Maybe like me Felicity has seen the "no smoking" signs in arrivals at Dalaman. Can''t say that the people I saw puffing away took any notice of them. Think they''ve been there for a few years now. Not sure if it was a local "bye law" type thing legally enforceable by police or more a civil thing. I certainly never flouted the instruction on the sign but saw many people who obviously did.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
i have been in a lokanta in a nearby village (no i won''t name it)to be told "sorry we have problems with our alcohol license you must keep your beer under your chair in case the police come" if they did we were to say we bought it with us  :o    Only in turkey hey?!!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
Hey Felicity, have gone as far as purchasing the Paul Mckenna book "I can make you quit smoking today" Have read the first page. (I am a slow reader)
Thought about what you said re saving money though!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
were you having a fag while you were reading it? ;D ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
lol I bought the Alan Carr one which is apparently guaranteed to make you stop as soon as you finish the book. Have had the book for over a year and only got to page 7 by now >:D

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »
blue lizard, you were never in a pub after hours in Britain then, with the doors all locked and the curtains shut, and somebody ready to douse the lights if the police appeared?

So no, not only in Turkey, arkadaşım!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
just making the point that if they aren''t worried about no alcohol license in the villages a customer  lighting up either local or tourist is hardly going to make a difference..yes i have been subjected to many a lock in ..although in todays environments it is not often heard of any more...maybe in rural villages? ...my "only in turkey" was said with fondness and tongue in cheek.....i prefer the lighter side of life myself

Offline JayneyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
I''m with you Blue Lizard on the lighter side of life!  Your posts always make me smile.
What I don''t really understand is if you are sitting in say Aubergine or on a roof top terrace, is that classed as outside, or would you still not be able to smoke?

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 11:20:51 AM »
Hi Blue Lizard,
yes I am afraid to say I was having a fag while reading it! LOL.
And Jayney I agree with you Blue Lizards posts always make me smile too!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Smoking Ban

Started by kalkan4eva on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 07:50:40 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Smoking ban

Started by fidimax on Politics & Debate

57 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 10:24:22 AM
by Denners
xx
Smoking ban

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:19:05 AM
by Melek
recycled
Smoking

Started by MikeYork on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 09:00:56 AM
by MikeYork

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal