Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What is happening to paradise.....  (Read 10529 times)

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: What is happening to paradise.....
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
If I have to go to a residents/owners retreat where my freedom of speech is taken away i will not be writing again on this forum.  A pity but I just don''t see it.
Pauline

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »
Amares guests were the victims of a burglary on September 15th and Amares has posted on an existing thread.
Her question was if anyone else had recently suffered a break-in.
No-one has answered her question.

In reply to one of the first responses
Can you provide facts to substantiate that "this is one of the worst periods for break In''''''''s as the season ends"
Can you also substantiate your insinuation that break In''''''''s are down to migrant waiters and hotel staff and the evidence that they don''''''''t get paid what they are due?

Are we to regard with suspect every waiter/shopkeeper/barman who is friendly as a potential burglar?
This kind of generalisation and speculation does nothing but stir up trouble.

Cosetta "I really feel that this topic is a good example of one that should have been placed in the residents / owners retreat''''''''. 
I have to disagree with you this once, and reassure Pauline.

Visitors do need to know that burglaries and break In''''''''s happen EVERYWHERE and Kalkan is no exception to that, and they need to take the necessary steps to protect themselves and their possessions and valuables.

What they do not need is scaremongering, speculation and exaggerations.

The Owners Lounge is open to be read or indeed posted in by anyone. It is only the Resident''''''''s Lounge that Jon has decided to make "private" 
No one is taking away anyone''''s right to freedom of speech on this Forum - provided it does not go against this Forums guidelines.   
Thank you
Joan         

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:55:39 PM by joanH »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:56 PM »
Joan...try testing yourself on John Feds stress indicator now... ;) !!

Seriously though, Kalcamp''s insistence that burglary is "commonplace" in Kalkan - just preceding Hoca''s post needs quantifying too. I''m not a resident, or an owner - just a lowly visitor - but I understood from previous threads that it was actually quite rare to be the victim of a break-in in comparison to other holiday destinations.

Perhaps you could enlighten us, Kalcamp?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:28 PM »
I''m pretty sure that if you compare the burglary, car crime and assault rates per household in Kalkan with that in my home town then Kalkan will by far be the best place to be.

Offline jfm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 11:55:03 PM »
hi joan
you quoted hoca about his posting i can not seem to find it could you tell me what it is under or has it been removed
thanks

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:45 AM »
            The post was removed by me. It was an opinion of mine but i don''t want to alarm people, if they want to trust every person they meet on a 2 week holiday they can.
I will however say this there is a thread on crime in Kalkan, i have posted a few times each stating that crime here is very low and i still hold with that opinion.
If i were to be broken in to the last place i would mention it is on this forum i would not be telling people this is the 4Th time or i have been told they are armed. (What they do not need is scaremongering, speculation and exaggerations.)
I would not be telling people that you need alarm systems ans security surveillance.
I have never said that the Jandama are inept as i know this is not true.
          Joan i would be grateful if you would remove the quote from the now removed post from your post.
From now on if you need me i will be helping people with utility bills.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:54:04 AM by Hoca »

Offline Gary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »
as an outsider i tend to disagree with covering up the facts, it has happend and possibly happen to some one else in the future it seems that some of you are treating it as some unspeakable disease and don''t want to speak about it, i think if they did not want to warn anybody about it they would of not told every one on the forum, well welcome to reality kas and kalkan is not different to any other place regarding this matter this is a open forum good and bad alike you can not be biased on what is written but have your own view as many of you have written about.

i would rather know in advance as having it just in the welcome pack what sort of welcome is that your guest is here, they have to read the small print i don''t think i would be happy with that.

Offline Ahsap Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • Tahta Villa
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
Please see an amendment I was thinking of making to the advert for my villa.

''So come to Kalkan, don''t worry about being burgled whilst you sleep, attacked by vicious packs of marauding wild dogs and being ripped off or possibly assaulted by local taxi drivers.  You will have a great time honest!!!

If there are any experienced marketers out there, do you think it will help business?  I am sure I have seen a lot of other travel companies / websites using this type of marketing technique, though I can''t quite seem to remember where?  Possibly someone could remember one they have seen?

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
Yes A.Man, I see the is a dilemma, but what then would you suggest?

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Scaremongery is non productive but this thread will act as a reminder to visitors not to become complacent, which is so easy done when sipping efes  and lounging around at the Beach clubs and forgetting about life for a while.
I know that i would be grateful of a little reminder before i travelled. For warned is forarmed and all that.

Offline Ahsap Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • Tahta Villa
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
Kalkamp,  I am not suggesting anything, I believe that it is my responsibility to accurately describe my villa, as that is what I am offering to rent and I will answer all questions asked of me about it and the resort as honestly as possible.  I try to give some personal observations on the resort and comment on the activities and places I have visited.

I don''t see the Turkish tourist board or any other come to that, including, Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales, commenting on the negative aspects of their countries and neither will I.  Kalkan is not paradise, just a holiday destination where the vast majority of visitors find wonderful.  I suspect that most have an inclination that crime exists, dangers like the sea, traffic, local wildlife etc etc need to be considered and prepared for, just like if I go on holiday to Skegness, Antiga, Spain, New York,  etc, etc

However this is a forum that allows for the sharing of information and if people choose these things as the focus of what they think of Kalkan then of course that is their prerogative, but I won''t be joining in because I think Kalkan is great! Warts an all :) >:D

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »
We always give our guests a list of useful information about the villa and Kalkan BEFORE they go on holiday.  We try to make them aware of some of the problems such as power and water cuts, stray dogs, safe swimming, expensive restaurants/taxis and to be as vigilant about crime as they would be anywhere else.  This information is included along with all the nice things that Kalkan has to offer and so far there have been no complaints from guests as they know what to expect.  Everyone who has visited has said what a wonderful place Kalkan is, what a great holiday they had, how friendly the locals were and that they would definitely return.

There is no need to ''big up'' the negatives about the place as surely the good things more than compensate and IMHO Kalkan is still a very safe place.  Where else would you see kids walking to school and playing outside without the threat of being abducted or worse?  Also I have not personally heard of any muggings or attacks on holidaymakers so come on let''s get real.  A bit of information up front goes a long way to ensuring that folks knows what to expect and it will not affect their having a great time in Kalkan.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
kalkanbelle I totally agree with you, I especially love that the kids can play freely in the streets without fear of them going missing!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know I am locking this topic not because I think that facts should be hidden but because I can see it already drifting into a residents section / freedom of speech debate.

To have the final word on this whole speculation of "them and us" "hiding the facts" etc I just want to make a point very clear for everyone. EnjoyKalkan is here to promote Kalkan and be an open discussion forum for people regardless of their status or situation. I have no problem with serious, negative, in depth topics getting raised and as has been said it is important that people are aware that nowhere is paradise (sorry if that suprises some people!) EnjoyKalkan has also provoked some healthy debate and banter as well as helping people find information about Kalkan.

HOWEVER, EnjoyKalkan is not a venting board for the doom and gloom merchants or those just out to portray total negativity. A balance has to be found and this balance, although fine has to be maintained for the site to exist.

Thus, I would like to reiterate that there is no censorship, no hidden agenda and that everything is business as usual so please can we draw a line and move forward. Any accounts found to continue this "online recession" without reason shall be removed and invited to find another forum.

Thanks

Jon  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What is happening to Kalkan?

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2019, 09:17:36 PM
by Babs
xx
Late September - Anything happening

Started by dancefamily on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2016, 06:09:45 PM
by dancefamily
xx
How is Kalkan coping/what is happening.....

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
by TonyRochter
xx
Our little piece of paradise

Started by nikki 13 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 08:21:57 PM
by Helshe

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan market

Views: 2792
By: anne41
Perge