Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Another first time report  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Another first time report
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
We have just returned from our first holiday in Kalkan.

Flew Thomas Cook, relatively cheap prices, with seat number allocated at check in and a "long haul" sized plane giving plentiful legroom.  Beats the scrum down” for seats you get with Easyjet etc

Stayed at the Komurluk Villas – fantastic setting a view that you will never tire and very reasonable rates too.  Umit the caretaker was typically gracious and amiable (more later).

Hired an Adda car through EK, picked up from the airport by a driver who was still there despite us being 2 hours late.  The car was modern and clean.  On the return journey we left it at the airport with the key and car park ticket tucked under the mat – very convenient.

We drove to Tloss and walked around the site then Saklikent carrying on up the same road to return to Kalkan via the mountains which was a lovely trip.  We made just one U turn after ending up in the middle of the 100’s of greenhouses in the valley inland from Kalkan.

We also had a day in Kas, nice but not quite the majic of Kalkan.

The rest of the time we were lookimg for property, relaxing  and getting to know the area.  For us the Komurluk side of the bay is best with the benefit of the last Sun of the day due to its westerly orientation.  Coupled with the staggering views.

The Palm beach club in Komurluk was superb with good facilities and toilets that wouldn’t be out of place in a 5 star Hotel!

We consulted Bridget at Blacklion, re property purchase, she was great.  Lots of experience and ideas.  She was also friendly and helpful.  Everything you need from a professional agent. 

I am sure there are others but I chose Bridget from the UK and she came up trumps.  I am sure we will enjoy a long term friendship.

Food – where do you start – WOW!

From our experience after the initial 2 weeks (and I promise you we will have lots more experience of Kalkan in future) There are too many to mention but  Korsan Fish Terrance would be our number 1 especially Tuesday nights when they have live music and with no extra charge,

The Olive garden is close behind but with the addition of fantastic value – 76 lira for a meal for 2 people?  That’s 30 pounds for both of us with great food, fantastic attentive service and a gorgeous setting under the stars.

Aubergine – nice but maybe a tad disappointing after all the hype.

We also enjoyed a meal at Villa Mahal on our last night (5 July).  3 points to note:

1.  Watch the prices for drinks at the bar above – its more like the West End of London - 127 lira for 8 drinks!

2.  The setting for Dinner in the beach club is absolutely divine.  Eating a quality meal whilst the sea is almost lapping around your ankles looking at the beautiful view into the bay  WOW! 

3.  The food for us was not quite so great and perhaps the service for us not quite so attentive but the experience is well worth it and the price for a meal as long as you are sensible is similar to the harbour.

Everybody seems to have a different favourite eatery which illustrates the high number of Restaurants available and the fantastically consistent quality.

Oh and what about lunch – how can you beat the calamari, stuffed tomato and various aubergine mezes at Indigo Bay at the front of the Harbour whilst taking in the scenery.  I could go on and on!

It was quite possible that Kalkan could have been an anti climax after reading the reviews on EK but amazingly it even exceeded expectations.

And of course the final ingredient is the people.  Could they be more genuinely friendly – I don’t think so!

Despite some other members experiences we didn’t have a problem with the few stray dogs, or general behaviour of fellow tourists   Infact we thought the type of person in the town was of a “higher quality” and it helped the area feel more sophisticated than other resorts.  Furthermore it was generally free of litter and oddly dog mess in spite of the aforementioned dogs.

We are returning asap.

Thanks EK
regards
Andy

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3826.0

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
Re: Another first time report
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
What a great report.  And very interesting point about the lack of dog mess... never thought about that one before but absolutely right!

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:37 PM »
Good report, looking forward to getting there!

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »
Has anyone seen the big water tank/lorry (dont know what you call it) that washes the streets down early hours of the morning, very clean.
great report, sums it up perfectly

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »
Fabulous report Andy - always enjoy reading from first timers.  So glad Kalkan lived up to your expectations and, like the majority of us, you can''t wait to return!

Have to agree with you about the views and sunsets from that side, quite breathtaking.

Enjoy,
Alison

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »
Ha Ha now you truly are one of us!!...bitten by the kalkan bug!!  welcome aboard and thanks for a nice report to read! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Nice one Andy :)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
Great report Andy couldn''t have put it better myself! We returned for a second time last month and wondered if it wouldn''t be as good as the first but it was even better, if that could be possible, so many locals recognised us and came over to speak it was like meeting old friends. Would love to return in September so trying to save like mad now, really got the Kalkan bug as it sounds like you have Andy!  :D

Offline Serhan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »
I''m so delighted to come across this website and forum on Kalkan. Yep, we''ve also got the Kalkan bug after years of holidaying in various other places, both in Turkey and elsewhere. This September, we''re returning for the second time and cannot wait!

I''ve even added Kalkan weather to my iGoogle page and look at it everyday, thinking how much I''d rather be there at the moment than the dull and cloudy Dublin...

Great report Andy, I particularly agreed with your point that the quality of the place (due to its people) is that bit higher than a lot of other places.

By the way - Is Omer Sheriff''s brother still there? What a character he was... ;D

Cheers

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
yes, hes still there....

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing your report with us.  I have loved reading it.

Less than 2 weeks until we''re back!  ;D  ;D
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »
Thanks guys it was my pleasure.

Omer was our translator - Umit was a bit limited with his English but as some of you may know he is now learning it with a New Zealand accent!

Is this the same Omer - he took us to his "boss" down the Kalamar Rd (Aykan?) to look at Property, he maintained some villas and apartments up the hill on the right side of Kalamar Rd about 400 -500 yards from the Kalkan end? 

Offline Marni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
No this is a different Omer.  The one you know looks after our villa and is a really lovely guy.  He does indeed work for Aslan (Aykan) although he works on the property maintenance side.  Umit also looks after our pool.

BTW I really enjoyed reading the report.

M

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
Great report, Andy. We've stayed at Kormurluk Apartments which are also looked after by Omer and Umit - Umit lived onsite at the apartments last year - he was quite a character. Kormurluk is, for us, the nicest part of Kalkan - the views are spectacular, it gets more sun and it's a 10 min walk into the centre. We're hoping to be back there in October.
I also love Palm Beach Club and Mahal for a special dinner, is quite unbeatable - although as you say the food does not match the location, but the overall experience is somwthing unforgettable.
Good luck with your purchase.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »
Hi K4Eva, We stay at the Komurluk Apartments, which one did you stay
in?   Allan.
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
Hi Allan
we stayed in Kalkan Sun with the huge terrace - gorgeous apartment, amazing view...and sadly not mine in case anyone thinks I'm plugging it. Which one do you stay in?

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
 Kalkan View on the ground floor and Number 2 on the top
floor. Not mine either, but as you say fab apartments and views. We are there in October too, the last week, what about you?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:36:59 PM by AllanChris »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »
We're looking at the beginning of Oct, haven't booked either flights or accomodation yet, just trying to co-ordinate dates :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
smiley
Holiday report

Started by lyndsey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
May holiday report

Started by KalkanWilkie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM
by Skunk
xx
Weather Report

Started by LancashireLass on Weather

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 05:29:06 PM
by BarbH

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal