Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Aug 28th: The Tailors, Kaptans and early to bed?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Aug 28th: The Tailors, Kaptans and early to bed?
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »
There's something quite scary about watching the Live Kalkan Webcam at 07.30am only to see the same view over the top of the laptop. Of course there is no reason why this should feel strange, but the light is so unique, so gorgeous at this time and day and it is the "light" that is identical - it cut's through at the bottom of the hill in Kalkan and highlights the villas on the hill towards KAS.

But now, even as I type that, the sun rises above the Nur Patisserie, right in front of me and the whole village is now bathed in sun once more.

After a very relaxing day "up on the hill" yesterday, it was well past 9 when we ventured down towards the beach.

OJ had bought some G-Star Jeans at the Market - GBP35 - and they were the first sale of that day for this market trader. So he took my sterling notes, threw them on the floor, then picked them up and wiped my cheeks with them, hoping it would bring him good luck for the day's sales.

The jeans looked really good from the 4 or 5 pairs that OJ tried on - too long, but we'd sort that. So we had ventured into the tailors and asked if he could take 3 inches off the legs, but keep the "finish" the same. I pointed to the stitching and he said "Yes, I know, I know, I know. Come back tomorrow".

And so we did. He was sat outside his little shop, right opposite Mussakka Restaurant and went running in to get the bag. We checked his hard work and what a job - he had cut and stiched and folded or whatever he had done, to keep the original look. 10TL. OJ thought it was well good. The Tailor wanted us to try his favourite restaurant, 10 metres away, and offered to take us; but we were not quite ready to eat.

Opposite the tailors is the handbag shop that was recommended on this forum earlier in the week. In search of handbags or purses, we had a look. Now, I don't know why, but there was some Turkish music playing in the empty shop, and I just opened my arms, klicked my fingers and shuffled my feet in a very pathetic attempt at Turkish dancing. The owner loved it, came up to me almost laughing, shook my hand and put his other hand on my shoulder. It was so funny.

We will go back to take up his offer of a very best price - the leather was gorgeous and the smell over-powering - but by now it was gone 10pm and we had to eat.

We wound our way down through the tiny streets, in the cool of the evening. It was a real treat to feel cool after the heat of the day.

We had not booked dinner, but had so many suggestions on the list still to try, we didn't know which way to turn - Rendesvous?, down a bit further to Doy Doy?......and then I felt, maybe...... Kaptans?"

So Kaptans got the vote, and as we approached, a table over looking the beach became available and the waiter smiled as he recognised us from lunch the day before.

We took the waiter's advice and OJ had the Chicken Fillets in Curry Sauce, I took the Fish Fillet Kebab - the Fish name escapes me, but it sounded like Ajax something?! - and Mrs A had another special, Chicken stuffed with spinach, figs and apricots. It came with a sprig of roasted baby vine tomatoes, like a work of art, and she couldn't stop praising it enough.

The Stylistics were palying gently in the background and out in the bay, right close to shore, a very large yacht was moored, all illuminated. It had three decks and probably several crew. Their little boat brought some of the party ashore and I asked OJ if he fancied a bit of that life? He turned his nose up, then said "maybe just for a bit!".

We sat and finsished our drinks and wondered if the owners of the yacht, whoever they were, would be as lucky as us, and get to meet The Tailor.

Cheers

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4260.0

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Aug 28th: The Tailors, Kaptans and early to bed?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Antler - I find your daily reports absolutely enchanting and wish that you could stay in Kalkan forever and keep us informed of your adventures indefinitely!  It's lovely to read about all the things you are doing and discovering and even the simplest things like meeting the tailor or watching the early morning sun spread over the village you describe with such eloquence and joy.  It has indeed brought a tear to my eye on more than one occasion reading your humble appreciation of some of the things that make Kalkan such a special place for so many of us. 

You have a wonderful way of describing things and can put into words what a lot of us feel about the place.  I only wish your holiday would never end but like all good things........  In the meantime I look forward to my next fix - keep the posts coming! 

P.S  Would love to see some photos?

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Aug 28th: The Tailors, Kaptans and early to bed?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »
Kalkanbelle - i really appreciate your positive feedback and of course, that of many others who have been kind enough to comment. We have so many photos, we need to do some editing and then I will get OJ to help me load them up, somehow on here.

We only have 52 (!) hours left in Kalkan now, but it has been a 17 day holiday, so I do feel that we  have had our fair share!

I'm sure there will be some more magical moments in the next two days and I shall certainly share what I experience.

Thanks once again

Antler

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Upholsterers/Tailors in Otogar

Started by Cuddles on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 11:20:18 AM
by Cuddles
xx
kaptans overlloking beach

Started by overross on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 05:47:51 PM
by overross
xx
Aug 27th - Market Day (How Much?!) and Kaptans for Lunch....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 09:05:21 AM
by Blue Lizard
question
Kaptans restaurant on Kalamar Road Jazz night

Started by Slj60 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 10:03:33 AM
by Slj60

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal