Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Blimey, it's hot!  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Blimey, it's hot!
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »
Good morning

Sorry for the lack of a blog but my ipad screen has cracked and typing anything takes forever. You will understand if its happened to you......and it's too hot to move anywhere or do anything!

I may have to do this when I get home! Anyway we are hauling our sunburn onto a boat trip today.....mad dogs and english women and all that!   We were due on a boat trip last night but as we were the only customers they cancelled it...disappointing but will try again on Wednesday.....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13769.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: Blimey, it's hot!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
Have a fab day Haybo. Hope it's a bit cooler out at sea.  8)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
Fab chilled day! Boat prices was 90tl this year...first price hike i've noticed...superb value at twice the price!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »
It is hot beyond belief. Going on our third boat trip of the holiday tomorrow. Tonight we're going to the town beach for a swim in the moonlight then a BBQ back at the apartment. Simple but delightful pleasures  :D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »
itstime........we realised on this trip that the Turkish people have a bit more sense that us 'Mad dogs and Englishmen'. They all seem to go down to the beach after sunset when the weather conditions are much more bearable.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
Certainly many more Turkish visitors here this year, also spotted a couple of vehicles with Russian  number plates around the town.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
Funny how the heat plays havoc with your Lilo..I can imagine the pools of Kalkan full of Wilting Walters in need of some pumpery during the heatwave
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »
Hi

thanks for you patience!  I am going to try to do some updates during my lunch breaks now I am back at work  >:(

So, Nat and I headed off for your 2nd trip to Kalkan.  We thought Birmingham airport was particularly busy for a Friday in term time, but we were able to get through check in and security without too much stress, so headed into departures (picking up a bottle of Baileys and some perfume on the way - it's a legal requirement right??).  We set up camp in a restaurant and had a terrible meal, but knew we had better waiting for us at the other end!

Picked up an hours delay in Birmingham which meant that we didn't land in Dalaman to gone 10pm.  Thankfully passport control and baggage claim were smooth and before we knew it we could hear Emre calling us and we were off!  Really smooth journey, but it meant we didn't hit Kalkan until after midnight and we were starving!! 

It was also crazy hot even at that time of night, so a quick change of clothing and we headed down into town...some bag shops were closed it was so late!  We bumped into the guys from BSG and they rang round a few places for us  to see if they still had a chef and we were dispatched to Aubergine....where we had a  delicious mixed mezze and a chicken dish to share!  lovely.  Great first evening - back up the the apartment and in bed for 2am!!

Needed our beauty sleep to be up in time for a Turkish Bath!  Exciting !

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Fab first report  :D and so glad you got to eat when you arrived! what restaurant would do that in the UK. Look forward to your next update.  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:13:58 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
I realised that I missed out the most important factor of Friday 30 June. 

Our plan was to arrive - get some food and then pop to the supermarket opposite Aubergine to get our pool floats - the one with netting in the middle.  We had talked about how crucial this was to the success of the holiday as Saturday was going to be hot, hot, hot.  So, you've heard about the BSG boys sending us towards the harbor...so we though, well, if they can't feed us , we will just get crisps, snacks etc in the supermarket along with our pool floats and all will be well with the world.....but as we approached  the lights went off and the shutters came down...NOOOOOOO! how would we cope on Saturday?????

Saturday 1 July

I just love the first morning waking up in Kalkan....when you realise that you're not dreaming and you are ACTUALLY there, its just the best feeling in the world - I love stepping outside into the warmth with a coffee and listening to the sounds of the town waking up.

Our first job of the day was a trip down to Atlantis for a Hamam.....I must confess I felt very sorry for the 2 young lads that were dispatched to deal with us two..they must have felt they pulled the short straw!   I can't believe i haven't done this before, it was great - even the bit where they lowered the back of my head into a bowl of freezing water!  there must be a good reason for that , but I can't fathom it. 

So, newly buffed to within an inch of our lives we stepped out ( with our snazzy shopping trolley - thank you Kalkan Gems) to do a bit of shopping in Yali.  I can see what people are talking about now...pretty poor show in there.  Let's hope it gets better - we were the only people in there on a Saturday morning - not a good sign.

So, fridge stocked, we lathered on the factor 50 and hit the pool - wowzers it was hot!  You could not walk bare foot and it was impossible to hold the pool steps as they were so hot! Needless to say there was a little bit of shoulder burning having spent too much time chatting with other residents!

We headed into town early as we had to meet Jane Niz to do the passport thing , so we had a cheeky drink in Cafe Leon then went looking for a new to us place to eat.  We settled on Mey & Mezze (was The Nar) .  I hadn't eaten there before - the view is amazing!  I had a lovely stuffed seabass dish and Nat had lamb.  It was delicious and very reasonably priced - I think we paid about 130TL.

So, bellies filled we went to get our pool floats ( Yes, the holiday would be a success after all)  and headed home for an early night in a taxi because remember - taxis are cheaper than ambulances.  ( 7.65 TL up to Emir from Pirat)

Will have to see if I can remember anything about Sunday now.......

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Thanks for the reports Haybo.....helps me to remember our recent visit.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
Sunday 2 July

Sunday was a pretty quiet day - it was far to hot to do anything except talk about how hot it was!!  We were booked onto an evening cruise with Yildiz3 so at least we knew we would feel some breeze on our burned bodies later on!

I gave up the fight and headed indoors at about 4 for a siesta and thought i would check my email - just as Cpt Osman emailed to say that only Nat and I were booked onto the boat that evening, so could we rearrange!  I agreed to go down to the boat later in the evening to sort something out.

Dinner was held at Oz Adana - a first for me and I loved it.  WE ate like kings for a total of £13 between us so we will no doubt be heading there in August - it would be rude not to.  We then headed into town and spotted K4E and BH sitting ont he balcony in Paprika so i yelled like a fish wife until they heard me and then bellowed some more about it being their last night!  Great to see them looking so tanned and refreshed.  Shame i lowered the tone so much but Kalkan can take it I think.

I think we might have gone to Cafe Del Mar for drinks and then Fener for Ice ream but its all a blur!! What isn't a blur is the nasty ice cream that tasted like hand soap!  Not sure what it was but we both rejected it forcefully.   We eventually went to see Yildiz and arranged a day trip for the next day and rearranged the night  trip for Wednesday.

Quick trip back up the hill and to bed as we had to be up early......

It is so lovely how we just slipped straight into holiday mode and got on with enjoying

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
I bet you're having happy memories recalling what you got up to. Lucky you, you'll be doing it all again soon.  8) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
I would find it so hard to remember what we did each day once we were home..I struggle to recall things I did a couple of days previously when I'm there and very often miss things out. So glad we saw you Haybo..or more to the point you saw us! I never look up when I'm walking down the old town streets for fear of losing my footing and there was absolutely nothing fishwife about your shout :-*
Before you've finished your retrospective blog, you'll back in paradise...lucky you!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Thank you all for your comments!  It is quite lovely having to try to relive it.....but as the Big 5 0 approaches, the old grey matter is really letting me down!!  Here goes Monday...

Monday 3 July

Up and about early to get to the boat.  It was a really rally hot walk down to the harbour and as usual we had left it to the last minute!  We were pleased to see that there were 4 other passengers on the boat - lots of space.  Right at the point we were about to leave a turkish family joined the boat but chose to stay at the rear.  They seemed to know Adem and Osman's daughter Arrife(?) who joined us for the day and had huge fun with the turkish kids.

We did the trip in reverse to normal , starting in Kalamar bay, then Firnaz, then mud bath, then Mouse.  We had a couple on the boat who were non swimmers and it was wonderful to see the guy gain his confidence by wearing a life jacket and after about an hour of holding on for dear life he was able to let go of the steps!  By the time we got to Mud bath, he lowered himself into the water and propelled himself to the shore!!  His wife on the other hand was a bit less keen but Adem took control and loaded her up with 3 woggles and towed her to the shore!  They both looked so chuffed with themselves!  i hop eit inspires them to take swimming lessons. 

The food as always was awesome and we looked forward to having more on the night cruise on Wednesday.

I can't remember what we did when we got off the boat specifically but i know we threw ourselves in the pool when we got back and went out quite late for a bite to eat.  We did a little detour to the Sevgi hotel where we are having an overnighter when we arrive in August - I booked through Booking .com and wanted to check that the booking was successful.  All was well and I lookforward to staying the one night with them .

From there we headed down a very spooky alley way and came out by Carrefour.  We got convinced to have dinner in Old Friends and it was wonderful.  Yusuf came and sat with us and we had a wonderful couple of hours putting the world to rights.  I recommend you give them a try.   My meal was amazing - Scicillian chicken. 

What next??

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
Haybo.......I'm well past the 50 mark but really enjoy everyone's posts sharing their holiday experiences in Kalkan. I very much appreciate you sharing your holiday with enjoykalkan followers.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
 Tuesday 4 July

Not a great deal to report from Tuesday other than the temperatures returned to something a bit closer to normal!  We were able to walk to the pool without flip flips and get out of the pool without leaving a layer of skin on the handles of the steps!

We had a beautiful meal at Mussaka...I finally got to try the Summer Steak and it was delicious.  we had great fun watching folks wander into town in their finery (well some of them - there were some scruffs too!!)  Nat managed to drag me into the stall opposite - a place I had sworn never to venture into!  Needless to say a t-shirt for M ended up in my possession.  I did feel they guys were less forceful that in previous years and they said we could take goods now and pay next year!  I assume they were joking!

We had a lovely wander through town, with Nat picking up lots of presents for her brood.  WE were thrilled when we popped into the tailors to hear that they are the proud parents of a beautiful 10 week old boy.  Dad was so so excited to tell us all about it and shared with us some interesting Turkish customs!  I think we were in there for over an hour.  We then dropped into BSG - they guys are sending my original LV bag to their factory to see if it can be repaired.  it is 20 years old and it is too expensive to get it repaired by LV.  I look forward to hearing from them in August when i go back.

Popped into Mai Butik and admired the lovely clothes, then headed back to the apartment....  the days were flying past .....

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing about your evening cruise, we've never done that as normally go in October but am lining it up for next June......have I mentioned we are going next June??  ;D ;D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Funny Babs we'll be there in October too. Did I mention that well be there next June too.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »
 ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal