Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fantastic holiday.......  (Read 2676 times)

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Fantastic holiday.......
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »
Well we have been back a few days now and adjusting to the weather , nearly turned the heating on . We rented a villa close to town and arrived just to catch a few hours in the pool and then out to Cafe Zula , good food and reasonable prices with friendly waiters , went there twice .
 We spent the next few days lounging by the pool , sunbathing  and letting out all the stress of the past year . Lunch times we alternated eating in and out , Cafe vita , Adems , Mayden , we also tried the chicken man ( very tasty) .
 Mustafa from Cafe vita gave us t-shirts and a bag with his logo on and told us he was world famous as he was in a documentary recently, which he will put on his website soon , he and his brother are such nice guys .
 We went on many trips as we had hired a car , the 1st was the gorge , we nearly reached the end maybe next time .Lunch was had literaly on the river , a great experience . Me and my 11 year old daughter then went on to do river rafting which turned out to be a nightmare , i had to jump out to rescue her as she got stuck and panicked , i lost my ring but managed to get to her. I would do it again but wouldnt let any child under 16 do it .
We drove to Patara beach and had a great day there jomping the surf and snorkelling , also went to Kaputas beach ,another good day .
 We went on a boat trip to see the sunken city , would highly reccomend this trip a great day out , we went with club lycian very helpful and the food was excellent . 
Another day we drove up to see the deserted old greek village i think its called Kayakoy , a must see, and then on down to  Olu Deniz for a day on the lagoon . Had lunch there but it was not very good , and when leaving found that some idiot had bashed into my hire car........... woe !
The restaurants we went to were all good serving excellent food but the best were Mussaka , fantastic steaks . Kaptans by the sea - wonderful lambshank with mushroom pepper mash mmmh ! .Baharaat was also very good . We tried Bread and more , chiles and had a barby at villa .
Watched a few of the footie games in moonlight and went to Kleo bar most nights, another good bar was the flamingo bar served by Robbie Williams a nice guy .
All in all we had a fantastic holiday and may go next year again .
                                                                                        Dancing ninja

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6282.0

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
Re: Fantastic holiday.......
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Hi Dancing Ninja - thanks for posting your adventures.
Hope you fond your ring, and sad you and your daughter had a poor experience river rafting... good advise for others.
KayaKoy is a truly magical place - almost surreal with all the deserted houses and the church in the mountainside village ... if you really fancy getting into the story of how the village came to be deserted there's a fictional book called 'Birds Without Wings" by Louis De Bernier (also wrote Captein Correlli's Mandolin) - It's the story of the displacements in rural communities - extremely sad and emotional at times but also full of humour, gives a real taste of the cultures and how people of all religions and backgrounds lived in peace together for centuries - well worth a read... there is talk of a film about the village too. It will probably be a real tear jerker - but will put the Kaya Valley firmly on the map so go now before it's over run!
Anyone else fancying a look over the mountain - there's a great restaurant in KayaKoy called Cin Bar where you get taken to your own tented kosk and can choose your meats / fish / vegi's / marinades, then a white hot barbie is brought to your table and do your own barbecue! (The great waiters there will cook for you also, but it's good fun to diy).
We saw several car bash ins at Olu Deniz - perhaps it's the laid back lagoon and effect of the Effes!

Thanks again for you lovely report, will be trying out some of your faves - the lambshank at Kaptans with the mushroom pepper mash is making my mouth water!
Happy days!
L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »
Great report, thanks to both Dancing Ninja and lorilou for some inspirational ideas for our fast approaching return to Kalkan.
I'll get the book as one of my holiday reads too   :)
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Great report, thanks to both Dancing Ninja and lorilou for some inspirational ideas for our fast approaching return to Kalkan.
I'll get the book as one of my holiday reads too   :)
Hi Kefgirl - the book is a bit heavygoing and sad at times (not a true story, most of the characters are fictional, though the circumstances are truthful and well researched) but do persevere, cant tell you the difference it made to my whole outlook about Turkey, the food, the landscape, the Hammam, but most of all - the people  - well, just about everything! I read it whilst staying in KayaKoy - huge impact. Can you tell?
:) enjoy!

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
Hi lorilou,

Sounds perfect and a bit like The Island, by Victoria Hislop, which I really enjoyed. It was also about a real situation, using fictional characters. Set on Crete and Spinalonga, when Leprosy was rife, in the 1920s. Have you read it?
Sorry, I sound like one of those websites that say "If you liked this, you may also like....." !!    :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:31:17 AM by Kefgirl »

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
Hi lorilou,

Sounds perfect and a bit like The Island, by Victoria Hislop, which I really enjoyed. It was also about a real situation, using fictional characters. Set on Crete and Spinalonga, when Leprosy was rife, in the 1920s. Have you read it?
Sorry, I sound like one of those websites that say "If you liked tis, you may also like....." !!    :laugh:
Hi Kefgirl - you are my kind of reader! Yes - 'The Island' is one of my favorite books ... not one I would have picked off the shelf - a neighbour gave it to me as I was getting into my airport taxi for my holiday on Skopelos one year ... she's usually a 'chic lit' reader so I had no expectations ... and was completely blown away!

Birds without Wings is a little heavier but no less powerful. Hope you enjoy it! let us know what you think.

And any other suggestions - let me know - get through books like crazy, so recommendations are gratefully recieved!
:)
Lori

Perhaps we should start a "holiday reads" thread ... in fact - I'll go do that now ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another fantastic holiday

Started by neil22 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 07:14:16 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Fantastic holiday, I will be back!

Started by Pam on Holiday Reports and Reviews

24 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 09:50:17 AM
by antler
xx
First time - fantastic holiday

Started by citybluemoon on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 09:30:26 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

Started by KAPSA Kalkan on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 08:45:32 PM
by KAPSA Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kayakoy

Views: 4199
By: blondie
Kalkan 1996