Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkantalya  (Read 16984 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkantalya
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
So am writing this from my Kas beach club bed......the hotel  (Cinar Butik) was actually a great find,despite actually only costing £26 for the night with breakfast.....comfy bed and great shower...... the location was up high so had a lovely view from our balcony   We have been to Kas a few times during the day but were keen to experience it at night after coming back from Meis earlier this year. We weren't disappointed - it's really busy and a lovely vibe.  Due to our packing limits we don't have towels, we asked yesterday if we could hire towels at the beach club but couldn't although they offered to lend me one that had been left here , very evidently frequently used! (I'm sure we could have asked the hotel but we've checked out and brought all our worldly goods with us so don't want to hike back)  l  So on our passagiata last night we went past a Carrefour - popped in and saw some half price tablecloths - don't laugh, they look like pestemals and cost 9 lira for two!  We then went down to the town square for a drink , heaving but managed to find a bar with a table and sat and watched the world go by for a while. The restaurant under our hotel was recommended but fully booked so we ate at one opposite......hubby had a seafood casserole which was delicious , I had grilled chicken which was tasty but dry......the restaurant was full, service left a bit to be desired, we shared a calamari starter that we waited ages for then we'd barely finished it before the mains arrived.....another £30 bill for two though. We were also told there is an issue with red meat in Turkey currently so they didn't have any - we said we'd had lamb and beef in previous places and the water said it must be imported -need to investigate that one in Kalkan. We went back to the hotel after and sat on the balcony for ages, you could hear the buzz of the town below and look over to Meis......perfect. Hubby did contemplate going to buy another bottle of wine but common sense prevailed!  There was a lot of balcony chair scraping as others obviously did the same, I resorted to the ear plugs and had a great nights sleep . Breakfast was served by a Julie T Wallace ( Life and loves of a She Devil?) look a like who said there was no coffee, only tea .....hubby queried this and she said coffee was finished.......so he drank tea!  The public transport issue was settled by noting there is a taxi rank directly outside the beach club -100 lira to Kalkan. We plan to leave here about 4 pm We will arrive hot and sweaty and covered in sun lotion but can unpack our cases for 5 nights, shower, try and do  something with my hair which is resembling Medusa's then hit the Mini Bar....I'm really fancying Kalamaki Dragon for dinner......don't normally have 'foreign ' food on holiday but want to try it. Our dinner thoughts for the next 5 nights are Kalmaki Dragon, Ata kebab, a harbour restaurant (trio or Fener ) a rooftop one(Olive garden maybe ) and we may try Adem's place which we've never done. Then maybe breakfast at Kaya one day.  The beach club we are in in Kas (Cinarlar) does a 'beer plate' which may be lunch today......a selection of bread, cheese, borek etc......perfect with a bottle of vino  Happy Thursday everyone   Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
One other thing......in Antalya, Cirali and Kas we have noticed hardly any dogs but cats everywhere - not a nuisance but lots of them.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Thanks for another enjoyable read Alibobs. As Lizilu20 says..........it provides the inspiration to try something a bit different when we are out in Kalkan next year.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
So, around 4pm yesterday we hopped in a taxi in Kas - the 100 lira advertised fare was actually 130 lira......we checked this out and agreed the price before we left, still thought it was pretty good value ....it was a beautiful evening as we sailed along the D400.....we had booked an apartment in Kalkan so we could catch up on washing and have a rest from hotel constraints. We've stayed in a mixture of hotels and apartments in Kalkan before and decided on the Han complex this time mainly due to location.......that apartment is fab and so is the setting but I made a huge schoolboy error in booking a ground floor apartment.......no view!!!! I just assumed that everywhere in Kalkan has a view, we stayed in the Emir before, as hubby pointed out they may be close to where we are but up a very steep hill!!! On the plus side hubby was able to get to Yali and back with wine and beer in about two minutes😉 Only a couple of other apartments occupied, they must have thought this new arrival a bit bonkers as had washing out on the line within an hour of arrival and on to the second load. Showered and rested we set off to Kalamaki Dragon......Stopped off at Mini Bar for a pre prandial......greeted by Rami at Cinar like old friends......felt slightly guilty he hasn't made the cut for places we are visiting this time as we like him so much ....... Kalkan was BUZZING! So busy, busier than when we were here at the beginning of June. So good to see....Kaya, Cinar and Mini Bar all said what a good season it's been . Sitting there in the Mini Bar I remarked to hubby we wouldn't see anyone we know as its a different time of year then up popped Sue and Malcolm who we always see in June - the first time they have been in October! They had gone to eat at Baharat but it was fully booked! Another weird but not so pleasant coincidence is that when we were in the Mini Bar about three years ago a cat sprayed from the roof of Cinar onto our table - not nice at the time but we've laughed about it since. The same thing happened last night to another couple - Hassan said it's not happened in ally that time until last night. Strange but true? We headed down to the Kalamaki Dragon - Greek St buzzing, reserved signs at Begonvil...busy all the way down to the Kalmaki Dragon which had one other couple there! We went for it anyway, had crispy duck and a main course each.....really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a change from Turkish food but kind of missed the usual suspects on the menu. Slightly more expensive too - £35 meal this time. A quick night cap at the Mini Bar , a chat with Rami who used to be at the Rhapsody , then back home for a great nights sleep. A couple of weeks ago hubby was reading a Kalkan forum and saw a name he recognised as someone who used to work for him about ten years ago......it transpired it was the same guy and he has a villa up above the D400 between Arcelik and the Samira resort. He offered us the use of it but we'd already booked our Han Inn accommodation. We took a wander up there this morning to have a look and get some exercise - then wandered down to Fener for. Turkish breakfast that negated all the exercise and then some! Decided tonight would be harbour night, after deliberating the pros and cons of all the restaurants we knew we decided to plump for Akin - never been there before. Given its the weekend and Kalkan is so busy we popped by and booked a table. The guy there is always so pleasant when you walk past it's about time we stopped  Then a walk back up to the apartment calling in to Gratis for some shower gel........I saved some really nice travel sized samples at home but forgot to bring them so have been using hotel ones from Antalya and Cirali that smell like Fairy liquid ........got hubby to part with 7 lira for some Palmolive - I'll smell like a princess tonight 😉 Had a swim and now lounging on a sunbed writing this. Think we'll have a drink at the harbour before Akin tonight. Wasn't going to have a drink during the day today but there is some white wine in the fridge that I might just have a  drop of, then a snooze........  Sent from my iPad

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
Thanks for the report - it's nice to see some different places and routines written about!

I'm puzzled about "the change from Turkish Food" - I would have thought that was the other 50 weeks of the year >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
It's so good to be back in Kalkan......what a fun evening we had last night ...as planned we wandered down to the harbour via the steps yesterday and had a drink at Jimmy's before dinner - on our very first visit to Kalkan we used to spend more time down in the harbour than in town but it's ages since we went down there in the evening. It was really pleasant down there and managed to get a booking on  Yildiz 3 tomorrow too.  Always lovely to see the Yildiz family, I remember Kamil being the age Mehmet is now - time flies. Linekers was well and truly closed, not sure if it's the end of the season for them or a permanent arrangement. I have to say I found the barkers there a bit too much when we here in June and that's not something that usually bothers us - happy to stop and have a chat with any of the guys usually . Didn't visit so can't comment really. After our drinks we wandered up to Akin - walked past this place hundreds of times, always said hello but never stopped. We would definitely stop again - freebie bread and mezzes, shared a starter of fried vegetables which was delicious.......hubby had the special meatballs and I had stuffed aubergine - it was all excellent , especially the meatballs.....the wine ( think it was Deluca) was 60 lira -. Our usual £30 bill was only about £24 - incredible value.  We then decided to saunter back past the Blue Bar as Turkey's Michal Buble was playing there. Not necessarily a Buble fan but love Easy listening....A bot of Ratpack etc. I thought it would be heaving but when we got there it wasn't......by pausing to decide what to do we were kind of ushered in......another 60 lire bottle of wine and all was well. He was a great singer and we had some good banter with some other people.......got back about 12.30 pm. This morning we made our own breakfast and then wandered over to Kalamar for a coffee at the beach club.  Its 's a bit of an unwritten rule that we have decent walk every morning on holiday , hate the hill in Kalamar but always feel better for it . Back by the pool now, we are making our first visit to Adem's place tonight so looking forward to that.  It's a week since we've been in Turkey now, feels like we have been away from home for ages, probably because of the travelling around. Still a couple more days of Kalkan loveliness before we move on to Fethiye   Enjoy your weekend wherever you are   

Sent from my iPad

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
Thank you for continuing to share.   I have often thought of trying to fly to Antalya and spending a day or two at Cirali but not yet managed it so it is very interesting to hear your stories.   

I definitely won't be looking to stay at a hotel which doesn't have coffee for breakfast, I never drink tea.

We certainly had no problem getting red meat in Kalkan last month, I wonder what that was all about.

Glad you have at last tried Akin.   It has been a favourite with us for many years.   I specially enjoy a leisurely lunch there overlooking the harbour but it is a good place for dinner too and they are always welcoming.

Keep up the good work with your reporting.

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
All sounds wonderful, are you getting the high exchange rate ? I did think there was a problem with the photo page , hold onto the photos and load them when it’s mended 😁.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it’s so lovely to come on the site and people are posting
Lynne

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
It's very late in the day today and much wine has been consumed but I am still going to post. Last night dinner at Adem's Place - we got this totally wrong, thought you could see the twinkly lights of Kalkan from there - you can't! We booked for 8pm and Adem came to pick us up - he said we should have come about 6.30pm to see the sun set......basically it was very dark up there and we were the only diners so not much ambiance at all.....his family were all getting ready to go to a wedding as well so felt a bit in the way.......great starters, good main courses but it wasn't the experience I had hope for. We should have gone for breakfast or lunch, can't blame anything other than my lack of research.  Today dawned beautifully sunny and we headed off to the harbour for Yildiz 3. A full boat, 16 of us, as always a great day out, lovely food and lovely company. We were all of a certain age and spent a while talking about Spangles, Double Diamond, the Woodentops etc.......a lovely day. I spent a lot of time in the water, it was so lovely and warm.   Most shipmates had been to Kalkan before but there were a couple of newbies who have fallen in love with the place .. Of course we were so full up we were never going to eat again but after a shower we decided we were a bit peckish.......a couple of drinks at Mini Barbthen we headed up to the kebab place next to the Rose...... something 41... can't remember......had a chicken doner  , hubby had a meat doner , wine and efes all for 85 lire. The guy running it is a hoot, he speaks great English but learnt it in Austria, some translation was difficult but we managed.......... High,y recommended if you just want a quick meal that hits the spot.  Back in the apartment now contemplating what to do tomorrow on out last full day in Kalkan.  One couple on the boat today have a house above Fethiye and they gave us some tips for eating out there when we arrive in Tuesday which is good.  Until it was mentioned in response to an earlier post I'd forgotten all about the red meat, there is certainly no issue in Kalkan - very odd    Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Lynne, we changed money back home  in the heady 8.4 days of late August but we've seen 7.6 here. One lady on the boat had brought sterling to change here but said she was getting a better rate at the ATM so will take her money back home -  not sure whether she will be stung for charges though

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
Love reading this, thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
Thanks again Alibobs, another great read. I feel like I could close my eyes and be there with you.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
Unfortunately Adem's can be like that.  Dark at night.

Many years ago, we had to take torches to see the food, but that has greatly improved!

God knows who told you that you could see Kalkan lights, must have been Trip Advisor!

Lunch is a good time to go though - so peaceful!

As for evenings, if you go a different night, it'll be busy.  Luck of the draw really - but then again it's places like EK that can help here.

Incidentally, we try to plan our visits to Adem's with the moon.  Not always possible, this year it was a new moon when we arrived in Kalkan, and for the rest it was setting at about 6.30.  Not much you can do about that, as far as I know!

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
Chris, I was just saying to hubby last night that I kind of have a June outlook on kalkan.....obviously the sun is setting much earlier at this time of year - going to Adams at 8.00pm in June would have been fine. My mistake and you win some, you lose some.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
So Monday in Kalkan....popped up to the gym by the school - only to say hello to a couple of people lest you were worried! Although the hike up there is a work out in itself!
Then down to the harbour, via the Likya steps,  for breakfast. We were heading for Marina but got waylaid at the Indigo Beach Club and decided to eat there. An adequate Turkish breakfast but not as good as other place and much more expensive. Had to get the bill corrected twice and then had to ask for our change as it wasn't forthcoming. The Indigo is one of my favourite beach clubs, never had any issues there before, maybe it was just bad luck.
A meander back to the apartment for a swim and chill by the pool afternoon.
We had decided on Lal for dinner and booked a table which proved to be a wise move. We also eschewed our beloved mini bar for a drink at Shade Lounge which we really enjoyed - great cocktails (recommend the Gin Spritz) and a great vibe, lovely staff there. So good to see places so busy again.
Dinner at Lal was excellent. Hubby had the wild boar, I had chicken with a mushroom sauce. Deluca was 65 lira a bottle. The guys used to be in Trio I think - great service and friendly chat. People were waiting for tables. A great view of Kalkan at night from there .Can't remember the bill, think it was about £35, we had a starter . Complimentary mojito shots at the end .
Toddled back up the hill stopping to say goodbye to a couple of people and called in for a nightcap at Kaya.
This morning we repeated breakfast at Fener and now packing up to move on to Fethiye. It's sad to leave Kalkan but we will be back of course and it is so nice to still have holiday left. We have tried all new restaurants this time and enjoyed them all in their own way.
We so nearly were going to get the bus to Fethiye but at the eleventh hour we capitulated and are getting a taxi! Such good value and it minimises time spent travelling so more time in the sun. Looking forward to seeing what Fethiye has to offer, my only previous visit there was to a hospital so hoping things will be less fraught this time! Planning on visiting the fish market and being relieved of a lira or two

Sent from my iPad

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
Your going to need a holiday after all this packing and unpacking. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it’s mean to ask but how long have you got left
Lynne

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »
So we left Kalkan, as always with a bit of a heavy heart , bit on to Fethiye. We are staying at the Yacht Classic Hotel, the only hotel I have chosen on this trip. The choice was purely on the recommendation of someone we met in Kalkan several years ago now but it was a great choice! Arrived at lunchtime, our room had been upgraded so we have a lovely view of the sea ( looking right, look left and it's the main road 😉) Lovely pools, plenty of loungers, a real 'posh' resort compared to hubby's choices. 😉. To be really honest 2 nights here will be perfect , I'm not too good at ' pretend ' environments, I've been known to break out of Centre Parcs and all inclusive resorts in my time. After spending the afternoon by the pool we went for a mooch around the harbour and stopped for a drink at one of the bars. So many boats offering trips, big boats too, I thought we were spoilt for choice in Kalkan! I must say they didn't really appeal to me so much but I'm sure they do well.  Dinner was to be at the Fish Market - we had a bit of advice from a couple of other people, one of them who lives in Fethiye advised us to head  for Hilmi  restaurant so we did. It's an incredible place, I think if you were new to Turkey it could be quite overwhelming, so many restaurants wanting your custom. It was buzzing, so busy, lots of locals as well as tourists too. We found Hilmi and were seated by a friendly waiter who brought us drinks. We'd already decided what we were going to ask for fish wise and chose some huge prawns and calamari. The fish cost was 120 lira. The seller asked us how we wanted it cooked, then back to the restaurant where we chose a couple of mezzes from a selection of dozens.........the waiter came over to confirm how we wanted the calamari and prawns cooked and we were away! Abo solute,y delicious seafood, probably the nicest grilled calamari I've ever had. Prawns were simply cooked in garlic and chilli. We had salad, chips and loads of bread with it......such a fabulous atmosphere in there , hubby made friends with a little Turkish girl and played Peep Bo with her - her parents didn't speak English but we were able to communicate with smiles and nods......The restaurant element cost 160 lira, including a bottle of wine.....the charge for cooking the fish is 10 lira per head. .......a fabulous evening and very special. I would happily go back tonight but hubby is all fished out!  A good nights sleep followed by breakfast Marina side - typical Turkish buffet style, plenty of choice. Watched the yacht dwellers coming in to Fethiye for breakfast/supplies too ....... very nice. We then decided to take a stroll to Calis  beach - 4 miles away but an early level walk following a newish path. Very enjoyable walk, a lovely breeze and lots to see. Lots of investment into the seafront area here made for a very pleasant stroll. A coffee and rest in Calis Beach ( didn't overwhelm me , sorry if you are reading this Frances-Jane of Tripadvisor fame) but pleasant enough sitting watching the world  go by . We got the water taxi back to Fethiye, 8.5 lira for a very pleasant 20 minute trip. Now back on a sunbed by the marina enjoying the sun and a lovely breeze. We've decided to eat at the hotel tonight, have read good reviews , hopefully will live up to expectations , probably will for hubby's wallet! He was just saying that as he bought lira back in August it's actually not costing us anything😉 in fact we're quids in as no outgoings at home while we are here  😉  We've already had the transfer conversation for Dalyan tomorrow  .......a £30 taxi fare or dolmus to the bus station, then bus to Ortaga , then dolmus to Dalyan......I think I know where this is going .....  Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »
Lynne, we leave for Dalyan tomorrow.....2 nights there then home late on Saturday ......

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
Personally, we didn't get on well with Hilmi.

Harassment from them as soon as you walk into the market, won't take 'Not yet' for answer, and when you succumb, they told us what they would do rather than what we asked for.  Off-putting, and completely unnecessary.  Bit like the aggressive greeters in Marmaris or Bodrum!

We have found the other restaurants in the Fish Market, generally, far more agreeable.

Only our experience, of course, but we've not been disappointed trying the other restaurants, yet!

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »
Enjoy your last couple of days , I have loved coming on the site and reading a holiday report well done 👍
Lynne

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal