Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkantalya  (Read 16898 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkantalya
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Our last night in Fethiye was spent in the hotel restaurant right by the marina. We don't often eat in hotel restaurants but decided to give it a whirl. There was also a local man singing , we didn't know this when we booked but may have explained why it was so busy...100 people plus. We went down for a pre dinner drink only to find it was raining.....fortunately a quick shower and they had put parasols up so we were still able to eat outside....dinner was good, the old faithfuls , mixed grill and stuffed aubergine, beautifully presented.  Service rather sporadic.....loads of waiters but no apparent organisation! A lovely evening again. Breakfast the same as before, great to watch the boats and all the toing and froing of the crews .
A walk around Fethiye taking in Umbrella Street before we left for Dalyan. Such shopping opportunities but didn't even browse based on the fact we have no space.
You may guess by now that we didn't use the dolmus for our transfer - we passes a transfer company called Hamish McTurk, the name stuck in our head and hubby contacted them.....got a good deal with a lovely driver. Due to the Tour de Turkey taking place lots of roads were shut so the driver had to take us out of Fethiye via local roads - so glad he did, got to see some stunning views higher up and he was very knowledgable about local history .
Arrived in Dalyan to glorious sunshine - really hot. We are staying at a small hotel on the outskirts of town, the Montana.....we stayed here in April and were given the 'best room'.....we were greeted like old friends on arrival and  told we had the 'best room' again......it's a different room 😂 It is very simple but spacious and we have a lovely terrace.
Wandered down to the river for a spot of lunch and then decided to get the co-op boat to the beach. We love the trip, about 40 minutes of lovely scenery and just 15 lira return. We got to the beach, hopped off and straight back on one for the return trip! On the way back it started to thunder and saw some incredible lightening. Managed to get back to the hotel before an absolute deluge of rain..............

Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
So it rained, and then some. We ventured out about 7.30pm by which time it had just about stopped......by the time we stopped for a drink in town it was ok. I hate getting wet but managed to remain grown up about it!
When we were here in April many places had obviously not opened for the season. Like Kalkan ( and everywhere else we've been) they've had a really good season and it was still busy. In April a glass of rosé cost 12 lira at the bar we were in - last night it was 17 so still pretty good.
Dinner at a restaurant called Temsie - it's open all year round, it was busy in April and busier still last night. I had my favourite - liver and hubby had yet another mixed grill. The wine cost us 38 lira a bottle in April - it was 80 last night but food prices hadn't increased and the meal with several free appetisers and a large glass of wine on the house was about £24.....hubby reckoned  Dalyan was about 30% cheaper than Kalkan and the same seems to apply looking around.
After dinner we ended up looking up the Michal Buble guy  we saw last week at the Blue Bar......no 25 lira admission here, even fewer people watching.....it's his last visit of the season here although he continues in Kalkan and is doing a hen night there on Sunday.

This morning had a lovely breakfast in the hotel, Turkish style but brought to the table - lovely breads and pastries .
Then back on the co- op boat to the beach - walked right to the other end of the beach which took about an hour - stopped for a coffee and then walked back. It was a beautiful sunny day today and we really enjoyed the walk at the waters edge, watching the sand crabs scurrying around.
Stopped again for a drink and a sandwich then got the boat back in the glorious sunshine today. Currently sitting pool side debating where to have dinner......

Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
Chris, interesting to read what you said about Hilmi........we walked in on the opposite side of the market and walked round. We were politely hassled by the other restaurants but told them we were going to Hilmi. The guy who,sat us at Hilmi was charming - gave us a choice of tables and asked us whether we knew what to do. You are absolutely right about how individual experiences can really make a difference. Had  we not had a recommendation we would have probably ended up at another restaurant and still had a great time . I'm glad we knew the ropes before we went as confidence is key in these situations. My daughter has just come back from her first trip to Turkey and said she was glad she knew about the restaurants and shopping before she went 

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
So our last day has dawned......feels like we have been away from home for ages - must be because we have travelled around so much I guess.....landing in Antalya two weeks ago seems like a lifetime. We had a mooch around town last night before dinner, ate at the Olive......hubby eschewed the mixed grill in favour of lasagne this time and I had a chicken dish. Can't remember the cost but less than £30 with wine......a wander back to the hotel, stopping for a night cap.
This morning we've walked along the river , a lovely way to pass some time. Stopped for coffee, now back at the hotel contemplating a swim......we are fortunate to be able to keep our room until we leave about for the airport about 7pm. We'll wander into town about 5pm to eat ......
Thank you all those who have read my reports and for your kind comments.  I have waffled in places and seem obsessed with the cost of meals and wine but was trying to use that as a comparison between resorts .I am also ashamed of some of the grammar and typos but I typed as I went and didn't proof read!
We have thoroughly enjoyed our trip, would definitely like more time in Fethiye and Dalyan but Kalkan remains the star attraction. We would do a road trip again but on the same premis as this year, ie already having had a break in Kalkan.
Top 5 things.........

1 Kalkan in general - and Yildiz day out
2 Chimera at Cirali
3 The smell of jasmine everywhere
4 The 15 lira return  co op boat ride between Dalyan and the beach
5 Dinner in Fethiye Fish Market

Bottom 5 things
1 The toilets at Dalyan beach at the end of the day - eye watering, literally
2 Breakfast at Indigo
.....can't think of any more

Hopefully we will be back in Kalkan in May, our son is getting married in June so it's dependant on stag/hen plans......then hopefully a trip in September/October........

Hope Enjoy Kalkan goes from strength to strength

Alison
Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »
I can add to my bottom 5 things list ......the CIP lounge at Dalaman Airport.......its heaving, no air conditioning , no clean cutlery,  no fizzy drinks....keep telling people 5 minutes.......wi fi restricted to one appliance only ( first world problem I know) .......I used to quite like the old lounge, quiet and barely used! Maybe I'm grumpy because I'm going home 😉
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:47:52 PM by Alibobs »

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
Thank you for your fantastic reports, a very enjoyable read.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and look forward to reading about your next trip to Kalkan.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
So glad you are on board now Alibobs and I too look forward to reading more contributions from you. I've really enjoyed your reports and thank you for taking the time and effort to report back.

When we went at the beginning August, the new terminal at Dalaman hadn't been long open and the toilets in the departure lounge on the way back were diabolical. Broken seats and broken locks. They were dirty and long queues apart from the "traditional style hole in the floor ones"  :o  which are impossible for me to use as the arthritis in my knees prevents me from squatting (sorry for the info  ::) ) but I'm sure I won't be the only person that applies to. It's almost like they've gone backwards instead of forwards with the new terminal.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »
Sorry to hear you had problems in the new airport lounge.   Sounds quite different to our experience last month (I wrote about it separately).   Maybe we hit a good quiet time.   We were there for a 9.30 p.m. flight and so were probably there around 7.30/7.45.  We would have left by 9 p.m. at the latest.   It was a Saturday night.   Maybe different on different days at different times.   Quiet and plenty of seats so able to relax before the flight.   Much larger place than the old lounge.

It would be interesting to hear of other people's experience.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
We were there at the same time on a Saturday - it was very busy, lots of children running around a big group of drunk passengers who were really  noisy, they had run out of glasses, cutlery etc. I wonder if they were taken unawares as it seemed like there were far too many passengers to the ratio of staff.  I thought it was really brightly lit as well......the loos were OK and it did thin out a bit after a while and seemed more relaxed then . I was actually quite fond of the old lounge, food was rubbish there but I liked the seating arrangements and it was always empty .

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Perhaps because it's new(ish) it's being tried out?

Give it some time and then it may revert to people who appreciate it…
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
So glad you are on board now Alibobs and I too look forward to reading more contributions from you. I've really enjoyed your reports and thank you for taking the time and effort to report back.

When we went at the beginning August, the new terminal at Dalaman hadn't been long open and the toilets in the departure lounge on the way back were diabolical. Broken seats and broken locks. They were dirty and long queues apart from the "traditional style hole in the floor ones"  :o  which are impossible for me to use as the arthritis in my knees prevents me from squatting (sorry for the info  ::) ) but I'm sure I won't be the only person that applies to. It's almost like they've gone backwards instead of forwards with the new terminal.

I had exactly the same experience on 8 October. Loos dirty, fixings broken, massive queues. And I have the same issues with "squatters" and knees, so I sympathise with you on that count.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Great reports Alison. Were fun to read.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:32 PM »
Oh Alibobs, I'm just catching up on EK after a busy few months and just loved reading your reports...just the tonic for a cold January night! You certainly packed it all in on the trip, just as you planned and I'm so envious of all you managed to get up to! Did I know you are friends with Sue and Malc...another coincidence they usually stay at Han Inn in June.

We wont see you this year as we're out in June - Kas, Meis then Kalkan for us - not quite as adventurous as your wonderful trip :) Say hello to hubby from me and BH and hope to catch up with you again another year.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
Just read your post Kk4 Eva - we have managed  to sneak in a couple of weeks in Kalkan in early May, will miss our June jaunt but very excited for our son's wedding. Staying at the Oasis again, the TC package was too good to pass up
We often talk of the lovely Meis trip and the 'incident' getting out of the Blue Cave - what a lovely day that was. Yes , we have bumped into Sue and Malcolm several times over the years, when we there in October we had just said we wouldn't see anyone we knew as it was a different time of year......Lo and behold they were standing across the road .
Have a lovely summer

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
It will be lovely to get a bit of colour before the wedding and you cant go wrong with Oasis. Like you our youngest is getting married in June, but June 2020...! So we will miss our usual June jaunt next year- it will be weird as I literally cant remember when we didn't go to Kalkan in June. We might get out later in the year but BH retires this year so everything will change in terms of our visits, I think.
Yes how lucky were we to have Osman's boat to ourselves that day, it was just the best trip we've ever done from Kalkan by a country mile - even with the "incident" :laugh:
Enjoy your trip out in the coming weeks and most importantly enjoy the big day!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan dog

Views: 2955
By: saskia
The Kittens