Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!  (Read 71802 times)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
Well it's now less than two weeks before we arrive back in Kalkan. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I should write a daily blog this year. Let me know what you think and, if there's enough interest, I'll make the effort.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
Yes please, only if you can spare the time. We know how busy everyone is doing nothing  ;) And these holiday reports certainly beat anything published on the "other" site.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Please go for it Keith. I'm sorry I've been lazy this year so far but I really enjoy reading the holiday reports.  :D

Offline Gelin

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Yes please Keith. Look forward to your Keith in Kalkan blogs.

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »
If you have the time Keith, that would be great, it’s always fun to hear about other people’s adventures!

Say hello to Clyde Kitchen for me!

Have a fab trip!

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
Yes please Keith , even if it’s just a food report

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
Yes please Keith.   I will be out there also in two weeks time and will find it useful if you particularly recommend, for example, a new restaurant.    By the time we have covered our favourites we seldom try anywhere new.   

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
We set off in the early hours to catch our 07.15 flight from Stansted. Dropping off our cases and going through security was very quick and straightforward although, for some reason, I managed to trigger the alarm. Had to go through the full body scan and then a thorough body search by security. Nothing found and we were soon on our way through duty free.and a bite to eat. Our TUI flight had been sub-contracted to Titan airlines and the flight was on time. The plane itself looked as though it has gone around the clock and the seats etc looked rather tired. A very smooth flight and arrived in Dalaman at 13.05 hrs. Once again, going through security was a breeze. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly our cases are unloaded from the plane and arrive at the carousel. My only observation on the arrival lounge is that it seems like a large, mainly empty space. If you arrive and need the toilet then I would recommend  using the first ones that you come across (before passport control) as the only other ones that we found were some distance from the baggage carousel. Cases collected we were soon outside and greeted by our driver. We departed the airport just before 2.00pm and arrived at our villa in Kalkan at 3.30pm. We were unpacked and enjoying an ice cold Efes before 4.30pm. That's the beauty of returning to our usual villa........it really is like a home from home.

Keith can.....feel at home.....in Kalkan

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
Glad your journey went smoothly Keith and you can now relax. Have a lovely holiday.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2019, 11:19:04 AM »
If it helps to relieve paranoia, I can salve your minds!

The security arches that you pass through (to detect Kalashnikovs, machetes, designer watches and that 1p coin you'd forgotten), are set up to randomly trigger whether there's anything to detect or not.

The percentage varies, but a few years ago it was about 1 in 40; but this is an average, so it could randomly go off twice in succession, and then miss 100!

Same goes for taking your shoes off - the rules are that a percentage of passengers should be asked; lazy security does them all in one hit and then forgets about it for the rest of the day.

I hope you find that comforting. :angel:

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »
Not really a blogger but will put in my ten penny worth. Our second night in our relaxing holiday of the year. Kalkan very busy. Many more Turkish people enjoying the place. Still a much higher percentage of English filling the restaurants. Been too our favourite on our first night. Baharat. A brilliant evening. Hasan and the team treat you like family even though we didn’t have our daughter and the kids with us. Paned out around the villa pool all day. Bbq lunch. Then tonight we went to Teras. for the oldies it used to be Sofia owned by Eddie who built sun elite. Antler used to love it there. The meal was very good. Might stay at the villa for evening tomorrow and get take away pizza from our friends at Fotos. Will take a gluten free base for them to make the wife’s pizza. As a Roman nutter I’m going to visit letoon as I’ve never been before. I have a Roman road running through our farm. On the roof drinking and chatting to friends. Looking forward to meeting tortoise lady when they arrive. Had many a great holiday in her villa. Have a great holiday everyone.

Offline Geordie duo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 28
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
Hi everyone
It’s my first post on the forum but been reading it and loving it for years.
I love to read all your holiday reports and checking out new places to visit.
My hubby and I have been coming to kalkan for over 10 years and we both love it.
We came in May this year and we are back on the 12th of September for 16 nights.
I will try to post my holiday adventures.

A very excited Tracy
 (Keith I met you and your wife last year) keep your posts coming.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
Hi Tracy,
I remember our meet and greet at Bezirgans. We are here until 16th and so we may get a chance to meet up again. Great to see that you are now planning to share your holiday experience.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
After settling in and shower we headed off to Bezirgans for our obligatory cold Efes. As normal we were greeted like long lost family and it was good to see that they have a new puppy. After a couple of drinks we ventured off to Mussukka for our first meal..The town seemed much busier than usual with a mix of Turkish and other nationalities of all ages shapes and sizes.Our meal was as expected (never had a bad meal in this restaurant) and was very reasonably priced. 2 courses + drinks a little over £50.00.Suitably replenished we meandered back to the villa to enjoy a refreshing G&T on the roof terrace. I'm delighted to report that  there were no laser lights polluting the night sky.

Keith can......again enjoy star gazing........in Kalkan

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
So pleased the laser lights have gone  :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
I echo that about the laser lights.   They just weren't right for Kalkan - for my taste not right anywhere!
I am looking forward to having my first g and t on the roof terrace, Keith.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:59 AM »
Tuesday was our first full day and we spent our time relaxing by the pool.I had taken a conscious decision to leave my mobile phone at home and it feels good not  to have anything interfering with the peace and tranquility that we are feeling. The view across the bay is picture perfect and I never tire of watching the boats ferrying people to and from the various beach clubs. The weather is gorgeous and there is a refreshing breeze. Ideal conditions for catching a few rays of sunshine. The time passes quickly and we are soon getting showered and dressed, ready for another walk into Town. As per our usual routine our first stop is at Bezirgans. I enjoy a couple of large Efes and Tracey enjoys a couple of G&Ts. Total cost 106tl which is very reasonable. The town doesn't look as busy tonight and we decide on Mey & Meze for our evening meal.The restaurant was very busy (possibly due to the recent visit of a celebrity chef) and the food was good. I wasn't too happy with the service ( we were asked to move tables to accommodate  another booking) and this rather put a dampener on our ding experience. After dinner we sauntered back up the hill and stopped at the off licence to stock up with alcohol.We had read that taxes were being increased by 40% and wanted to ensure that we weren't unduly affected. Laden with our shopping we had a slow walk back to the villa and enjoyed a bottle of wine as we sat admiring the view. The town looks completely different when lit up and I only wish that I could take a decent photo to capture the scene.

Keith can.......feel happy and content.......in Kalkan

Offline Geordie duo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 28
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2019, 03:49:43 PM »
Sounds like your having a wonderful time. It reads very romantic..

A week to go for us and can't wait.

We have started to make a list of restaurants we like to go to. We have our favourites but like to try at least a few new ones.
In May we tried Sherlock Holmes which we really enjoyed, the food and service.

We are hoping to try the new beach club this time if we can pull ourselves away from the pool.

Keep posting Keith and hopefully see you there for a drink.

Tracy

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »
Wednesday saw the sky full of grey clouds and high levels of humidity. As we are early risers we decided to go to Ada cafe/patisserie for breakfast. We opted for the full Turkish to share and my what a fantastic choice. Dish after dish were brought to our table and the amount and variation of food was a sight to behold. My first thought was that I had probably made the wrong choice, as I don't normally eat breakfast, and this was a vast amount of food.An hour and a half later the majority had been consumed. This is our first truly Turkish breakfast and......it won't be our last......it was delicious. We can't resist buying some of their lemon cheesecake before a slow and steady walk back to the villa. We spend the rest of the day around the pool.
Being creatures of habit we put on our glad rags and head of to Bezirgans for our pre-dinner drinks. We have already decided that we would be eating at Chata tonight. I don't recall this restaurant being there during our last visit and so this will be another first for us. The greeter is a charming man and not at all pushy. The food was of a high standard although you could see that the waiting staff were having a few problems e.g. they sent a lamb dish out when the client had ordered chicken. This was very quickly rectified.
Suitably full we popped into N==D bag shop.......Tracey's favourite. She very quickly identified a bag that she liked and  after a bit of banter and bartering we secured a 20% discount off the ticket price. Whether or not it's the 'real deal's we are happy with the purchase and, the added bonus is that I won't be dragged around anymore bag shops!! We stopped at Bade lounge bar on the way back to our villa (another first) before heading off home for a refreshing G&T on the roof terrace. This is the life.

Keith can......experience a traditional Turkish breakfast........in Kalkan

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
I agree with what you say about the town at night - we stayed in a villa this year just above the D400 near the footbridge up from Carrefour so the view was mainly out to sea, but then across towards the main body of town below the main road.  I recall stumbling into the bathroom in the middle of the night and looking at the town thinking I was in a ski resort!  it just momentarily had an alpine feel to it which I guess is the hills!

No more French martini's for me before bed!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal