Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: May days in Nkalkan  (Read 12502 times)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: May days in Nkalkan
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
Another enjoyable read Alibobs.........it sounds as though you have your blister under control. Time always flies when in Kalkan but I'm really pleased that you have enjoyed some amazing food and hospitality. We always visit Akins and it's good to see that other members have found this gem of a restaurant. Hopefully it won't be too busy when we visit  in September (just being selfish as we want to ensure that there is room for us).

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »
Well yesterday turned out to be a different kind of day.
Last year hubby was at home idly flicking through the 'Friends of Kalkan' page on FB when he saw an unusual name he recognised from work back in the early 00's.....he contacted the person and it turned out to be the same guy. He is an owner here but lives in Bahrain .....he is a British Pakistani who married a Turkish woman ( from Istanbul) who he met at Luton Airport of all places ........anyway long story short, he flew in yesterday for a few days to do some maintenance on the property .He wasn't with his immediate family but his mother in law and sister in law have been here, from Istanbul for 3 weeks and are returning today. He contacted us to arrange to meet , he chose Alternatif  but 20 minutes later it had changed, we were invited to the villa......a quick trip to buy a box of chocolates from Anka/Yali and we were away. We had a fab evening, they don't drink so we didn't ( although he said we were welcome to we decided it would be respectful not to) Khalid speaks English, Spanish, Punjabi but not Turkish (his wife teaches English ), his sister in law spoke some English and his mother in law spoke only Turkish. We managed to communicate just fine and they were so welcoming. His sister in law used to work for a company exporting cherries to the UK for M&S and Tesco. She said the M&S buyer used to get a tour of the cherry trees by helicopter so revered was he!  The  women had cooked up a feast in a couple of hours, soup, bread, stuffed aubergines,  salad, beans and pasta ......delicious. The mother in law kept giving me things off her plate which was a bit perturbing but we had a lovely evening. The villa ( which we had seen from the outside last year when we had a nosy around) ) is  beautiful, up near  Arcelik so amazing views.
We were quite late leaving but opted to walk back into Kalkan and stopped for a glass of wine at Lime Bar.......a couple of very drunk Brits spoilt the ambience , not aggressive but irritating ......we are normally tucked up in bed by then!
And Lime Bar was very pricy - 30 lira a glass. Won't be rushing back.
Today we are meant to be exploring the aquaduct but his nibs says his legs are sore......watch this space......happy Saturday everyone

Sent from my iPad

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 08:27:41 AM »
Great post.

Just out of interest, what are you paying, on average, for a glass of wine?

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
A glass is about 25 - 35 lira , tbh we normally buy it by the bottle in restaurants - cheapest so far Akin @ 60 lira......dearest 90 Baharat I think ........

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 05:38:57 AM »
So the aquaduct visit was put on hold and we visited the sunbeds instead.......read and played our favourite game of observing our fellow guests which entertained us for a while. The  hotel is getting busier by the day but still has plenty of space for all.
Mid afternoon we wandered down to town, hubby called in at the watch shop where they made an adjustment to a watch he bought last year - we will be going back later as the adjustment has sent the damn thing haywire!!!
The on to Fener for a waffle and ice cream and another people watching session ........
Walking back to the hotel it clouded over so we read for a while. Hubby wanted to watch the rugby, the bars were showing footie but the hotel bar came up trumps for him. I joined him in the second half, so did a few Leeds supporters from the hotel but they waited patiently for Saracens to win before it was turned over for them. Quite late by this time and chilly so we headed over to Kaya........it never used to be my place of choice food wise but the menu is much more simple now and the prices are very reasonable- don't know if they will go up this season but chicken shish 34 lira, mixed grill 58 and wine 70....... Error and Kadir their usual selves and looking forward to a good season.
Quick nightcap in the mini bar and back home.
It's my birthday today, the sun has just come up over the mountains and we are off for a day on Yildiz 3 .......not a bad way to spend  a birthday , just a same I'm getting so old! Maybe I need a mud bath 😉😉😉😉😉

Sent from my iPad

Offline Trunks99

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »
Hello, have a great birthday and a pleasant cruise and thanks for your daily blog, we are out in August and can’t wait, T99

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »
Wishing you a very happy birthday Alibobs........hope that you enjoy a terrific day on Yildiz 3.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »
Happy birthday from me too, Alibobs.   Enjoying your blog and making me look forward to our next Kalkan visit very shortly.

Pleased you have at last tried Akin.   It is one of our favourites.   Not just a good dinner there but a great place for a long quiet lunch looking over the harbour.   We have quite a few lunch time photos from there.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
So , as always a wonderful day out on Yildiz 3 .....as it was Sunday little Mehmet ( or not so little now)  was helping his Mum And Dad.....slightly choppy after we left harbour but soon settled down and enjoyed the day. Eleven on board, always meet such nice people on the trips, fantastic lunch as always .......what's not to like? The temperature  has suddenly ramped up too so perfect
A quick turn around back at the hotel, birthday messages going mad on What's app, amazing what a few hours without wi fi does to your in box. As always 'we weren't really hungry after the boat but......' but I decided I'd have a
pide - we would normally just pop to Ata or Oz Adana but as it was my birthday I decided we'd wander down to the new okabasi at the harbour - Ahi.......( where My Bar used to be) .......wasn't expecting too much but my goodness it was delicious........amazing pide, hubby had a spicy Adana.... it was really tasty, a simple menu and they will have a shish when it's busier.....great if you don't want a full meal......saying that we had balloon bread and salad on the house and foolishly ordered chips 😳......they charged 80 for a bottle of Angora. Think my pide was 30 something so you could say it was expensive for pide but I thought it was great value for harbour side side dining.
A wander back  through town stopping for a coffee at Merkez........booked a table for the Olive Garden on Wednesday , opening night ........
I've had worse birthdays although it was odd not being with the family .
This morning hubby went off to the gym and I walked to Kalamar ......stopped at the beach club for a coffee as I've done many times.......went to pay and was told 12 lira..... handed over 20 lira, no change forthcoming .....was then told it was 20 lira.......I wasn't happy , I felt ripped off...the waiter who'd told me 12 lira looked sheepish but the cashier guy wasn't budging ........I said my piece and left....
Now back at the ranch ....laying on the sunbed again

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
Happy birthday for yesterday Alibobs sounds like the perfect birthday, loving your reports. Tortoiselady hopefully we'll see you soon :D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
Hi Bob and Jayne,

Yes, coming out very soon now.   I will p.m. to discover if you will be still there when we arrive.   There might be some olive oil coming your way.............

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 05:27:20 AM »
So the  rest of Monday was spent lazing on a sunbed followed by a trip round town trying to find a new cable for my iPad.....the Friends of Kalkan FB page was very helpful, sadly I have an I pad 2 and nothing available. in future my posts may be even more typo riddled as I will be using my phone! I use my I pad for reading as well but will have to pick up an old fashioned book!
Last night we eschewed the mini bar in favour of a drink along Old/Greek st and then dinner at Begonvil , one of my favourite places and some where we always visit. Didn't disappoint, lambs liver again for me, chicken for hubby.Great value food and house wine 70 ....
When we strolled out about 5.30 to look for a cable the town was BUZZING......Migros and Carrefour very busy with new arrivals. Several new arrivals in the hotel too ...Begonvil, Salonika and old st cafe were packed ....8t seemed busier than some of our June nights out. The weather has changed this week too , so sunny and much warmer at night although cardi still required.
Today we are allegedly finally going to ge t to the aquaduct, have my sock/croc combo at the ready. Then dinner at Chillies with hubby's friend , not the in laws.......then I do believe we are painting the town red, well Black&Gold.....its Motown night...

Sent from my iPad

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
Hi

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »
Sorry meant to say. Hi can you tell me where Akin is. Thanks

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 05:04:34 PM »
If you go down the hill opposite Moonlights and carry on round the bend at the bottom.......Akins is on the right. It is fairly small but provides some welcome shade, great hosts, lovely food and views of the harbour.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 06:42:49 AM »
So Tuesday became a bit of a day........
After breakfast we decided to go for the Aquaduct walk. Temperatures have rocketed this week, feels more like our June days so we set off early and stopped at Migros for water. There were a couple of dogs playing outside. When we got to the D400 we noticed one of the dogs was following us.......we are neutral about dogs really , don't love them but would hate to see them come to harm. We accept that in Turkey street dogs are part and parcel of life so we respect that, preferring to donate to KAPSA rather than feed and 'adopt' the dogs while we are here - think that can cause issues .
We turned onto the d 400 and still the dog followed us. We made no eye contact with us and it trotted on behind us. Then it started to trot out into the road, I was so anxious as I thought it was going to cause an accident and not only get itself killed but cause a lorry to swerve into us and get us killed too!!!!
We were umming and ahing about would to do when I stumbled off the verge and fell over........the bloody croc/ sock combo! I fell quite lightly but grazed my leg and arm and then my head against a crash barrier. A little bit of blood goes a long way!!!!
Composed myself and decided to carry on walking......found the entrance we expected opposite the Lavanta turn off........then had a couple of false starts before we found the right path.......set off but eventually had to admit defeat......the path was very overgrown in places, we had shorts on rather than trousers and were  getting  shredded to bits......plus the damn dog was still following us! So we turned round and headed back......a guy was parked up , hubby told him about our dog issue hoping he'd take it back........he didn't........we managed to cross the D400 and get to Ackitim  for a welcome cold drink....Lassie came too and laid down behind me. When we left Hubby asked them to hold on to the dog for 5 minutes but they didn't ( and nor should they really with hindsight) We walked back through town, still being followed and managed to lose him/her by the bakers! What a relief!
We had a much needed swim and chill by the pool........came back to the room to shower and the bathroom was flooded - the 'fixing man' came ( he is the gardener and pool man too!) , he mopped up, tightened a few pipes and said 'tomorrow'......its been OK since though.
Last night met hubby's friend for a great value delicious meal in Chillies - fab Hunkar lamb .....house  wine 60 lira - it was full.
Then we headed of to Black and Gold for Motown night - again a full house, we drank wine and efes rather than cocktails - good prices. Nice people next to us, chatted about restaurants, they always eat at the rooftop ones, didn't know about the town ones even though they have been here for years
We wandered home via the Mini Bar and had a coffee.....it was 1 am, no jacket required and town was still so busy! This week is buzzing.....a lazy day today, I have a couple of fine bruises on my arm and bruised fingers but fortunately nothing more.......
Olive Garden opens tonight so we have booked a table, I'll report back.

Sent from my iPad

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
Looks like you aware being busy for the two of us , I hope you are ok after your fall . All I can say is I’ve nearly finished my 3rd book 📚

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »
Lynne, had a chilled day today! A pedicure at Jasmine’s was as exciting as it got so far! We love to walk and explore but only when it’s cooler . Temperatures like these are definitely for sun beds and reading 😉

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »
I love the food at the Brothers, sadly we won’t have time to get there this trip . We’ve neglected the Kalamar road this time 😉

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:50 AM »
So last night we visited Kaya - their mountain trip starts on Saturday, it will be our last day so a good way to spend it....then a drink at the Mini Bar and dinner at the Olive Tree....first night, every table taken.....had a great meal, lovely evening so nice to be up high..... years ago we had a not so good experience there and hubby has never really been a high fan but he said last night he’s converted ! Today we may go to Kas .....there’s a restaurant hubby would like to have lunch in .....its another scorchio and it’s market day here so let’s see

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
33 days to go

Started by Automan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

25 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 11:21:16 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
A few more days

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 03:56:19 PM
by lorilou
xx
Only 7 days to go !!!!!

Started by tessag41 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 08:53:53 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
days out

Started by molly on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 07:47:33 PM
by Lorretta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Trio Meet 08

Views: 4025
By: BevJam
Beautiful Kisla May 2011