Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: me and my walking stick!  (Read 10512 times)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
me and my walking stick!
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
Hi all,

Just back from 2 weeks in Kalkan...our 11th visit.

Well let me say first that I am nearly 63...next week! Have had walking problems for some years now and each year say that this will be the last time I can manage Kalkan. I know my limitations and so never venture  very far.

This year however, I surprised myself. Managed to get around a lot more. Normally to get to the Alternatif I would get a taxi to the Chocolate Bar and then walk along that road to the Mojito Bar and then turn down to the Alternatif. This year  they have taken the steps away and so taxi's can now get down to the car park.

I then managed to get to the Sandfire restaurant and climb all those stairs but was worth it just for the  view. This was our favourite restaurant this year and we went  twice.

Moussaka was also a lot easier for me this year now  because of the new location. I can get the taxi down to the rank and only a few yards to walk. Not so many stairs and I must say I prefer this location and we had the usual good meals.

Coriander was another new one for us and the food was good.

The trout farm was another nice visit one lunchtime and more stairs to climb although found these the easiest of them all for me.

Marina was another repeat visit, always find the staff  so nice and friendly although everyone in  Kalkan is like that.

Each day at the hotel I used to go in the pool with one of the guests who had a recent knee replacement and we did exercises together...his wife apprived by the way :laugh:

The weather was not as hot as we normally get this time of year and at night was pretty chilly with the wind but at least it was comfortable to sleep at night.

I also managed to get to Merkex one lunchtime thanks to the taxi's being able to drop you off at the Moonlight bar before 12. Had a scrummy hot crusty roll with bacon, letice and tomato. It does not see as if there is as much room as it used to be and not sure what it is like at night now they do not have meals.

L bought a lovely Dre's and a couple of tops from the little boutique opposite Sandfire,...never managed to see along that road before.

Well we have booked again for next year and hoping that my mobility does not worsen in the meantime.

Also for the first time I got assistance at Gatwick and must say it was brilliant. We flew with Monarch as usual and in the extra leg room seats which are so comfortable. Going out the plane was pretty empty but quite full on the return flight.

Kalkan was a lot quieter than we normally find and the locals were quite worried, just hope that people are not being put off by the recent events.

Barb

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12864.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: me and my walking stick!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:00:15 AM »
Sounds like you had a fab holiday Barb and I'm pleased for you that you managed to get around a bit more and easier than usual.
43 days for us! At least you can top up your tan today.  :) :) :) 8)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks Lizzie, at the moment the washing machine is going non stop and my husband i hanging it out on the line,

It is going to be hot here in London so might chance  a few minutes in the garden although we must go shopping as the cupboards are bare :laugh:

Those days will soon go by and you will be back in Kalkan where I am sure you will have your usual great time.

Barb

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
Cupboard's Bare?

As we always arrive home at awful o'clock because of the flight times, we pre-book a Waitrose delivery for (late) breakfast.

Saves all that bother until the regular shop...
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
We stopped opff at Sainsbury's and bought bread and milk. We had a nice meal on the plane so was no that hundry, more ired than anything.

Scorching hot in London and we have a large fan going full pelt! I think it could be as hot as turkey today :laugh: Still had no time yet to top up the tan. :'(

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
Glad you and your walking stick had a lovely time and that you were able to get around better than usual! :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:36:53 PM »
thanks for posting BarbH.
I had a broken foot a few years back and found it really difficult to get around Kalkan - it is really tough for people with mobility problems so well done you for giving it a good go.
Good luck with the washing - I feel your pain right now!
From now on Merkez will always be Merkex - sounds like someone from St Helens asking for their trousers..."has anyone seen mer kex?"  ;D ;D Really cheered me up no end today as I have a real case of Kalkan Blues today :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Must admit did not realise I had  spelt it like that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:Only wish I was there now as I really fancy that crusty roll.

I was quite proud of myself to how I managed those  cobbled streets this year, pure determination!!!

Just looked on the Monarch site and  the  prices are fantastic for the same time next year, only wish I knew what my hips and knees will be like otherwise I would  book,

The washing is all done now and now the worst job-ironing it all :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Is it just me or is everyone being more adventurous this year. It seems as though everyone has tried something different and it is making me feel that I should make more of an effort when we visit in 7 weeks time. Who knows I may even try to do a daily blog......although it won't be on the same scale as Antler's.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »
Go for it, keith...antler is on a whole different level to everyone else but be inspired by his words to share your own holiday with us. You will be glad you did - but not as glad as us :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 05:55:12 AM »
Thank you for your post BarbH, glad you managed to have a fabulous holiday and get around more.  You hoiday sounded wonderful.  :D

J

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »
That's the pleasure of staying in a villa BarbH , we arrive home with a case of clean clothes . I love washing on holiday

Offline annie the tourist

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
I'm like you Lynn I too love doing the washing while on holiday in kalkan , makes the coming home slightly less painful as at least you haven't got to do loads of washing first day back. Great that the weathers been so good barb at least getting it dry will have been easy

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
Looks like my last post did not get through. :(

I now realise that the restaurant we went to was Sanphire and not Sandfire as I had said...my friends pronunciation, well that's my excuse. Found a wet wipe that they gave me and saw the right spelling. What with Merkex I am doing well. good job  most people know what I meant....I hope!

Back to the holiday, well I was very apprehensive about going this year as  my hips and  legs  have been very painful, I really thought I would end up in the hotel all fortnight but as it was I  managed to get around with the help of taxis. One place that really made me proud of myself was The Trout Farm. when I got out of the car and saw all those steps my heart  sank...but do you know what it was the easiest ones I manged. Had a nice lunch there.

When we was coming home on the plane I overheard the people behind us talking. One man sitting alone asked the couple next to him where they had been. "we did 2 days in Kalkan on the last week". The man then said  "Oh Kalkan is lovely when you first see the vie but by 8 pm all the Brits descend on the town!! I do not know how I did not turn round and give him a Padding bear stare for all non.Londoners! >:D I did notice the young couple did not reply!

We had a visit from SuzyQ1 and hubby  last Sunday, lovely couple, just hope they have not worn themselves out clubbing until all hours :laugh: :laugh:

Well ow it is a bit cooler this morning might tackle the pile of ironing...on the other hand........

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
BarbH - don't worry too much about your spelling.

Oneloves mistype for a rental today is far more graphic...

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
BarbH, so glad you managed to get around Kalkan despite mobility problems.   I keep thinking of strategies for similar situations - can I go up the stairs on my bottom for instance.  In June I saw a new villa had a lift installed on the outside.   

Interested to hear that you managed to get an extra leg room seat despite using a stick.   Normally the extra leg room seats are exit seats and the airlines say you need to be fairly nimble if you sit in them.   Shortly before my last visit to Kalkan I hurt my leg and had to use a walking stick for a few weeks.   I was afraid I wouldn't be allowed in the booked exit seat with a stick.   Fortunately I was able to ditch the stick before flying.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
Toipose lady,

No problem with Monarch airlines, the first 6 ros are all extra leg room and  does not  affect people with mobility problems unlike  airlines like Thomson and Thomas cook, that is why we always travel with them. They are  really spacious and not squashed like TC, they do have  extra leg room near the exit  dors which may apply those rules but the aircraft we travel on always has the exit at the front.]

This year we paid £494 for two  extra leg room seats which included meals, luggage and a decent daytime flight from Gatwick.  Last year we went  with thomson, extra legroom was not as xomfy so back to Monarch for us this year. Thomson have two types of  searing one is called extra legroom which is situated by exit doors and the mobility rule applies but their extra space ane be occupied by anyone willing to pay for them.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Thank you BarbH.   I must remember Monarch when making my bookings for next year - already booked for September visit with Thomas Cook.   We have usually found good flight times with TC if we can be flexible with flight days but they really are rather cramped seats unless you book early enough for the exit seats and then you have no proper tray or seat pocket in front on you.   I am really rather short but still don't like to feel too cramped.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
Had a look on Monarch the other day for prices for next June and was amazed at the cost. for the same flight times...flying out on a tuesday at 5.50 around 1pm rwo weeks later, extra leg room seats meals and 23 kgs luggage...£407 for 2 tickets.. Not sure if they are still that price. I cannot tracel on TC due to the  cramped seats and I find that if you have booked exit door seats then you get people  stretching their legs in front of you.  with Monarch you do not get this.

It is always best to book the seats prior to flying as they charge £25 each way at the airport. If you book flights only the baggage allowance is 29 kgs but you can have more at a price. If you book essential package then you have 23 kgs.

No idea if they have different seating form other airports but we travel from Gatwick,

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 03:11:30 PM »
Well done BarbH that's the spirit, think the Kalkan magic gives you that extra oomph. Last year we visited when I was recovering from a broken pelvis so used my stick a.k.a my flexible friend, to get around. Thank goodness for it as when there I had a nasty cut on the ball of my foot so wore a rather glamorous bandage with my glam Kalkan dresses, not a good look lol. Yes I am really accident prone. Hoped to go for our silverwedding anniversary, hopefully stick free but my Mum who's 92 is in a bad way so of course we have to be here to care for her. Well keep up the good work and enjoy yourself, have a nice cold glass of white for us.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking

Started by dearsley on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 02:11:30 PM
by dearsley
xx
Walking in April

Started by Brooksie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 02:00:48 PM
by felicity
recycled
Walking in Kalkan

Started by sunsunsun on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 09:42:41 PM
by sunsunsun
xx
Walking lycian way

Started by downthedip on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 01:08:33 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal