Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New Year in Kalkan  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
New Year in Kalkan
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just back from a week over the New Year! Pretty different to all the other times we''ve been. Onur Air from Manchester on time both ways, new plane, no food, no queues at passport control or for visas! Met by Zeki from the Samira and taken to our house. 1st four days were ~16 -18 C. but well wrapped up at night. Raining quite heavily for the last 2 days. Not as bad as Oct./Nov. You still can''t get down the back road to the Pirat. The Sevill beside the Samira is being turned into TESKOS and they have taken the front off the Post Office to redo! Fethiye market was open on Tuesday and Kalkan on Thursday. Went to the following (in no order): Kaya (2)busiest most nights(boys in good form, new tricks from Kadir), Sofra, Ibo, Akin and of course Aubergine on New Years Eve. They had over 100 people, big fires, good food and drink, fireworks and a disco. Got home at 3 I think! Lunch in Jasmine Garden was nice,hadn''t been there before. Zeki took us up to Bezirgan and past the Dam to Gombe. Roads were very slippy but the scenery was fantastic. Down from there to Kas were we had lunch and then round to the harbour to see the pelicans and the wounded duck. Home to find Belfast City was snowbound but Onur Air still on time to Manchester. Not glad to be home! Bought a duvet as Lilly was hogging the blankets. Think jumpers at night at least. Ladies had their coats and jeans on! All the best for 2008! I will try to get some pics up!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=988.0

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: New Year in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
sounds fantastic. Glad you both had a good time and hope the boys behaved while you were out the country ;D

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write this report Roxie. Sounds like you had a good time.
We are always wondering whether to try Kalkan "out of season" and any info is welcome. If anyone else has experiences, I know I, and others, would be interested in reading them. Do people who have stayed in their holiday homes at these times, find they need extra bedding, heaters etc? Are there power cuts?

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
We''re going to Kalkan on Monday for a week. Our first trip out of season. I''ve bought a couple of throws to put on the bed and we''ve arranged for two heaters to be fitted. I''ll let you know how we get on.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
We had to rely on our spare water tank for the week as something was being done to the system in our area just above the petrol station. Will think about heaters but air con was ok on hot. Electricity was no problem. Not many taxis about and they were a bit cheaper than high season. A few places gave discount on the food bills but got it back again as a tip. Maybe go further into the mountains when back in May.   

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
My advice is to take a couple of hot water bottles with you just to air the beds too, if your property has been empty for a while it gets very cold and we always find this helps.  We really weren''t that cold over Christmas, but did take winter pj''s and dressing gowns together with warmer slippers.  We have an open fire which we had going every evening and 2 small oil filled rads which proved very useful during the early mornings and evenings which we put in the bathrooms and kitchen until and they were on very low indeed, all in all we were very cosy.  Our weather was really super and we suffered no rain or winds which of course makes a big difference, so just be prepared for any weather changes.  Have a great trip, the area as mentioned before at this time of year is looking very green & lush with lots of wild flowers in bloom.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
Water bottles filled with hot water are a good substitute (keep in a plastic bag - just in case!), oil filled rads are great, any turkish person would probably suggest an electric blanket! I like one of those fleecy blankets for evenings on the sofa. Pj''s and warm socks, slippers a must and warm clothes for the evening- I wear things in winter I wouldn''t be seen dead in in the UK!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Thanks for that, I knew I could rely on you all.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:52 AM »
Joan - Im out at the moment - I have no heaters and no open fire (well I have an open fire - but no wood! LOL!! so it hasn'';t been used).  I am fine during the day - it has been lovely and hot and at night - all I have is a few layers and put the a/c on heat to take chill off the bedroom and in the lounge too if needed - but really it has not been that bad....  Bed is warm - just a blanket or 2....

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
Felicity, I knew I could rely on you "to rub it in" a bit. LOL. I am sitting in my snuggly dressing gown with the central heating on, listening to a howling wind and the rain driving against the window, dreading having to go to work tomorrow. All I can say is I wish I was with you. Enjoy your holiday.
Joan

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
Me too Joan H.  Me thinks next year i will be working less and Kalkanning more!  central heating on, quilts on double winter strength, lots of soup for lunch and lots of brandy coffees!

Just like here really!! >:D

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »
Where possible just go for it and hope the weather is just as good as now, its a darn sight better than here at the moment at least. :D

Offline chris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
Hi ALL
Just come back from kalkan on sunday .delayed by 24 hours . weather was great in the Day when sun was out
however the nights were so cold . ensure you take some warm clothes.
just to make everyone aware had nightmare of journey home
delayed by 24 hours onue air cancelled flight . arrived at dalaman at 4 am for flight had to wait till 6am. then sent to icemler in the worst hotel i have had the misfortune to go to
kept there till 1 am the next day then transfered to Bodrum to fly from there at 6 am  as they were combining both flights together .
they also did the same to the gatwick flight . so if anyone is travelling with onur air in the winter months .double check  if you dont want to be delayed by 24 hours as the goldtrail rep informed us this would continue to happen if the flights were not full
apart from that kalkan is beautifull in winter

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
Hi Chris

Just to add to your - my experience was the same - arrived at Dalaman on Saturday just gone for 5.00pm Onur air flight to be told that it was cancelled and was being combined with Bodrum flight 24 hours later on sunday pm....I was not impressed but they told me that I should have reconfirmed flights (which they said I didn''t have to on the way out..!!)  Basically Goldtrail didn''t really try to contact flight only bookings...so choice was to go back to Kalkan to a house with no food and stripped beds etc etc and then transfer again up to Bodrum the next day - or take their accommodation and transport...a GROTTY hotel in icmeler (Abacus metropole was it Chris - worst place Ive ever been..!!) and then bussed to Bodrum next day..!!  So lesson is - do double check your flights - especially if booked through goldtrail - coz had I known - I would have stayed the extra time - and just made the longer transfer to Bodrum the next day instead.....of a horrible hotel..!!  Never mind - me and my fellow travellers made the best of a bad job and I met some great people and we helped each other get through the torture..!!   :o

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
Hi Felicity ,hope you had a great time (with the exception of your flight)..we flew with Goldtrail a few years back for our first and last time..we got to gatwick for a flight that didn''t exist..along with 200 other people,eventually after 6 hours they "borrowed" a check in desk off one of the big airlines and one man booked everybody in... :o whats new out there?any gossip? ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
Hi Blue Lizard - had a lovely time thanks - weather was superb - scenery stunning - loads of restaurants open - all diy stores open (so I got my painting done...  :P)  - people were out and about and all enjoying the lovely weather....nothing much to report - nothing much new - not much building going on - except a new massive villa (either 1 or 2) on the mountainside that you can see from our villa - ie: parallel to the centre of the bay....sure it will look lovely when it is finished... ;) but it doesn''t look pretty at the moment..!! Sevil supermarket was closed for refurb - opening as a Tesko (lets hope it is not a real Tesco - coz I don''t want to see Macdonals and BK next.. :o  Rumours of another bank opening next to Omars...do we really need 4 banks..????  but other than that - life seems pretty much as normal!! 

yes - had my fingers burned with Goldtrail - will be careful when choosing to book flights with them again - but you do get what you pay for - the flight was cheap....!!   :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »
We went with Onur over Christmas, admitted we went on the 21/12 when the fog came down and we were delayed going out by 5hrs but arrived to a beautiful day so it was almost forgotten, many flights from Gatwick were infact cancelled, our flight was full.

Return trip delay only 20mins, plane only half full, flew with H4U, did confirm as requested (unusal as nearly always forget) so perhaps the agent is more at fault than the air line.  Our flight was £100 each booked in May 07.  We also flew with them in January 07 and had no problems at all,   Hope you have both recovered from your dreadful time.

Offline chris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »
Hi
Yes we were in the metro in icemler was awfull. after the awfull delay . you always forget
how bad it was . i have to say though will not be flying with onur air esp in winter
maybe i will see what they are like in summer
chris :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Our first new year in Kalkan

Started by BevJam on Holiday Reports and Reviews

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 06:43:06 PM
by BevJam
xx
Second year in Kalkan

Started by annawiththebanner on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 01:05:58 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Kalkan - New Year

Started by jedge on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 10:20:15 AM
by Rosie
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by FrancisDonald on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 04:15:32 PM
by Roxie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal