Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Our fortnight of food  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Our fortnight of food
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
My overall report ended up longer than expected so thought I'd do a separate one for the food and drink reviews, here goes…
Being a bit of a foodie, eating out is one of the main things that draws me to Kalkan, sad to say the "never had a bad meal in Kalkan" no longer applies, this time round we experienced both poor service and not so great food. Our biggest disappointment was Chillies, after all the positives on here I was really looking forward to it, so we turned up around half 9 thinking the 8.30-9.00 rush would have been. We were told to take a seat on the sofa, it would be 5-10 mins for a table. Great, perused the menu… perused it some more… started listening to the purposely-loud conversation from the couple opposite who had been waiting over an hour for starters which turned up 10mins later - with the main course!! Another table were asked what they were waiting for - food was the answer! Looking round we saw lots of clock watching and hungry, grumpy faces so after more than 30 mins we thought it best to make a sharp exit - we hadn't even been offered a drink, so can't comment on the food I'm afraid, only the service.

Another one that didn't float our boat was Balik Han Em (My Fish House) further down Kalamar Road (after our visit to Chillies - not the best night out), with around 6 tables and the others all having eaten we thought it may be quick service but no, we ended up eating about 11pm. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices, portions are small and you don't get any veg or even bread. The prawn casserole and shrimp saute looked exactly the same, just with differing degrees of oil. The plain sea bass was the best dish out of the lot.

Onto better things, for mums 60th we booked a front table on the roof at the Olive Garden (our favourite in previous years). I reminded OH how many freebies you used to get but him and dad still ordered starters and dad a desert, big mistake - free breads, loads of dips and fritters and to finish dough balls with choc sauce, cake and liquers, phew!!! Our mains, aubergine wrapped lemon chicken was, for me, too lemony (I know, the clue's in the title) and the cumin sauce on the swordfish was too overpowering. The hands-down winner was the lovely rich lamb and chickpea, thursday's special. I'd told them about the celebration when booking and after the meal the lights went out - not a power cut - the birthday cake, with the restaurant all joining in the song (the cake was on the bill 35tl, but hey ho). Fantastic and attentive service, best view and lovely atmosphere.

Talking of cakes - Bread and More - mmm, mmmmm, mmmmm! Delicious! We bought ANOTHER birthday cake from there (18tl). Not only do they look spectacular they are scrummy, we went for a pink chocolate number with sponge and fruit inside. Also tried the baklava and pain au chocolate which were equally as good. We had a meal there which was nice but the best thing was being able to move over to the lovely fanned lounge area afterwards, instead of sitting stuffed at the table. Added bonus - cocktails are 10tl until 10pm, watch out for the lemon sorbet with vodka though, alcoholic doesn't even cover it, my favourite was the Turkish Cosmopolitan! The night we were there they'd made a friend an impressive cake of his villa, about 3ft x 3ft, with sparkly windows, a garden etc, and gave everybody a slice, again, mmmm.

Best value:
Korner cafe/Kalkan Fast Food (4 people) - 2 meals (inc drink, chips), 1 wrap, chips, 2 drinks, 2 deserts = 41tl - this was the only place we ate at more than once!!!
Oz Adana (4 people) - 4 main dishes, chips, 2 beers, 2 soft drinks = 67tl and loads of freebies thrown in too.
Kuçuk Ev (Small House) just down from Mussaka. We got the lovely balcony for 2 and personal service from the owner who I'd read about on ktln, traditional turkish food - hummus, 2 kebabs, 1 beer & 1 wine = 55tl, again loads of freebies, veg stew, salad, a mountain of bread and fruit.

Overall winners (difficult to please us all, but these did):
Cafe Zula - long wait for a table and slow service but the food (and cocktails) were delish (peppered steak and beef stroganoff in particular).
Yakamoz - only went in here by chance when we saw how busy the likes of Aubergine were. Only 3 other tables eating but the food was great, OH had a steak and I had the brandy chicken - both were yummy.
Kalamaki - booked for our last night. All four of us enjoyed it but the winning dish had to be the plank steak - served on a piece of oak surrounded by yummy mash and smothered in cheese. The blokes even managed to polish off desserts which looked equally as good. The only downside was the noise, we were sat above the speaker which was fairly loud but was competing with the DJ that was on and testing his sound system at a 'VIP' club night at Indigo Beach Club (40tl each)!

Other good ones that we tried - Coast@Gironda, Mussaka, Sofra and take aways from IBO Kebab House. But due to the heat and humidity some nights we were forcing ourselves to eat when just a snack would have done, maybe that's why we didn't find them as amazing as others have.

On a side note, where have all the little table brush and shovels gone? Not one restaurant cleaned our table (others were swept in Kalamaki), maybe we're not very messy but it's a nice touch that I missed this year.

For drinks, other half and dad were usually on the EFES but for us ladies who don't do beer we sampled a few cocktails and the odd vino (didn't go down too well). Our favourite places were Cafe Del Mar for Baileys iced coffee and Pimms and Lemonade - so refreshing, complete with sparkler and cucumber skewer. Parc Kalkan, great stop off on our our way to/from town, lovely and chilled. Kleo (voted best iced coffee) - just to be next to the sea and look out day dreaming, and of course Yali for people watching. During the day I sampled quite a few vanilla milkshakes and Cafe Leon was the best - and OH had a pot of Tetley's!

So in the main, mostly great food again but the service in some places left us feeling a little disappointed and having to wait for tables on a few occasions for a lot longer than stated wasn't great - 9pm seemed to be the time most people ate so I'd suggest either booking or going either side of then. Right, off for my chicken salad that unfortunately won't taste anything like the lovely fresh salads in Kalkan!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6299.0

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Re: Our fortnight of food
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
Thanks for such an honest and refreshing review. Must try Bread and More those cocktails sound gorgeous !

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »
Hi Lancs lass - sorry you experienced bad service, we too were in Kalkan in August, not a time I would choose but can take an extra couple of weeks off then.  We ate early, ordering by 8pm but the service was far worse everywhere than is usual, even in August, the first meal we had at Chillies was great but the second time we ate there we were midway through Meze when main course arrived, the plates were whipped away with great speed and our kebabs plonked in front of us (not all tables were taken at that point) but food was good and quite cheap so we returned, they obviously realised we had not been happy last time so service was exceptional from then on.  We ate at Kurus on Kas Road a few times and the service and food was very good.  Kaya is also a favourite, yummy lamb chops, but we waited for an hour for our meal (got many apologies and free desert).  I think the problem was not the extreme heat but the fact that Kalkan was much busier than usual, service and food in May was good and we will be back in October and I'm sure things will be back to normal then.  Sounds like you had a good holiday anyway.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
Once again Lancs lass, a great summing up! Your reports are so balanced, a pleasure to read.

And some new places enter the arena! (Well, new to me) ... I didn't know about Kucuk Evi - so will look out for that - it's going on my 'do's' along with Cafe Zula, Kalamaki, Bread & More - (if not for the cake / pastry delights - for the Turiksh Cosmopolitan)!

Gosh I wonder if we'll ever get through the list - we've only got a fortnight!

Thanks again - brilliant.
L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
Thanks Lorilou, I'd rather my reports had been brimming with enthusiasm like Antler's rather than balanced, I'm very envious that a couple of weeks made all the difference.
It's easy to miss Kucuk Ev as it's in the busiest part of the street, it's entrance is up a little alleyway next to the big tree that doubles as a jewellery stall. Many nights we looked up and saw the one and only balcony-for-two free, there are a few tables inside and a couple outside but we were the only ones there, family run, very friendly and a nice contrast to the bigger places.

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
Hi Lancs lass - sorry you experienced bad service, we too were in Kalkan in August, not a time I would choose but can take an extra couple of weeks off then.  We ate early, ordering by 8pm but the service was far worse everywhere than is usual, even in August, the first meal we had at Chillies was great but the second time we ate there we were midway through Meze when main course arrived, the plates were whipped away with great speed and our kebabs plonked in front of us (not all tables were taken at that point) but food was good and quite cheap so we returned, they obviously realised we had not been happy last time so service was exceptional from then on.  We ate at Kurus on Kas Road a few times and the service and food was very good.  Kaya is also a favourite, yummy lamb chops, but we waited for an hour for our meal (got many apologies and free desert).  I think the problem was not the extreme heat but the fact that Kalkan was much busier than usual, service and food in May was good and we will be back in October and I'm sure things will be back to normal then.  Sounds like you had a good holiday anyway.
Hi sukiliz, welcome to the forum, sounds like we had very similar experiences - but you are far more forgiving than me going back somewhere when you weren't happy. We did start going out earlier towards the end of the holiday but it was still too hot to have built up much of an appetite. We ate far less than usual (the first time we went we put on almost a stone each - that's 3 courses every night for two weeks for you ::) ). Glad to hear you're still going back in October, you'll have to give us a comparison on the quality of service and food.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks Lorilou, I'd rather my reports had been brimming with enthusiasm like Antler's rather than balanced, I'm very envious that a couple of weeks made all the difference.
It's easy to miss Kucuk Ev as it's in the busiest part of the street, it's entrance is up a little alleyway next to the big tree that doubles as a jewellery stall. Many nights we looked up and saw the one and only balcony-for-two free, there are a few tables inside and a couple outside but we were the only ones there, family run, very friendly and a nice contrast to the bigger places.
Hi agian Lancs lass - thanks for the directions to Kucuk Ev - I'd never have found it! Too busy looking at jewelery stall ... and trying not to fall over on cobbles (no, not becasue of fishbowl, lol). It;s nice to visit the smaller places sometimes - hope they are still open in October!
Getting hungry just thinking about it... mmmmm
:)

Offline elcee

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Lee Collins
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »
So glad someone else has mentioned Yakamoz - we had 2 really good meals there and found the service great and not too intrusive. I love the sit on the "thrones" with a pre-dinner drink and move across to a harbour side table later. We will try chillies for lunch to start when we return in October when hopefully things will be that much quieter anyway.

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Hi again Lancs lass, will do update on Chillies in October, son suggests a fork to the hand if plates are removed too soon!!!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
I'm also pleased to see good report for Yakamoz, being going there for years (it used to be on the other side of the road) and always thoroughly enjoyed the food

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
Don't suppose any of you moaners took into account that it was Ramazan this year at the height of the heatwave! I think newcomers to this site should just try any of the restaurants, instead of listening to the damning comments that (a) particular person (s) gives, just because something didn't suit! I feel sorry for the wonderful, hard working Turkish business people and friends in Kalkan, who bend over backwards for tourists and I'm so embarrased, when I read the pathetic moanings of "Brits Abroad", on this site! You know who you are and should be ashamed of yourselves... AND ALSO so should YOU... the ones making libelous accusations about the jewelry in Kalkan. There that's me done! This site used to be for Brits who had an affinity with Kalkan

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
Hi Rockykalamar -
Phew! I was quite shocked to read your rant - I feel the report at the beginning of this thread is an honest appraisal of someones experience. No, it wasn't all glowing, but certainly did not contain damning comments. For me it was balanced, and offered several positive recommendations....

Of course people should be appreciative of hard work - and they are - but when the service or quality falls below the standards that have been set, then surely its fair to comment on that also.

I understand your anger about the nasty comments elsewhere on the forum - but the "victim" of the jewelry complaint recently left a fantastically uplifting and gracious post - it left anyone who read it with a clear understanding that the whole episode left him feeling good about those who stood up for his honesty and integrity.

I've said it before. This forum is a lot like life. Lots of different people, all with their own take on things.

Kalkan and it's people are lovely. Most are great, some not so great... same goes for the visitors ... and those who use this forum. We all have the choice to take it or leave it.

Your defense of the people of Kalkan is great, and they have worked extremely hard to achieve their reputation for providing great service and quality. Surely they want to know if standards are not what they could be in certain places / or certain times of the year.

This is a forum for everyone, and the business owners and workers of Kalkan do have the opportunity to comment should they wish.

And that, for what it's worth is my view.

Roll on October when the Kalkan spirit will, I have no doubt, soothe and revive my soul.
L
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:19:38 PM by lorilou »

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
Me too.... I'll be there in October and the balance will be just right!  :)  As for my rants... someone has to!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
I have been a member of this site from the start and my understanding is that it was set up to share information about Kalkan with others, and that includes the good and the bad and the indifferent.

It would be a very boring site and indeed, world, if we all shared the same likes and dislikes.

Personally, I find that our members and contributors are people who can make their own decisions as to whether or not they agree/disagree/discount the comments in the posts and feel free to express their point of view, just as you have. It certainly makes for good reading at times.  :)
Joan

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
Joan. As always, a voice of reason ... yes, yes, and ... yes.

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
Thank you, Joan, for so eloquently interpreting my "rant"
(opinion)!

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
Thanks for stepping in there Lorilou & Joan, was just letting my blood pressure return to normal so that I didn't reply to Rockykalamar in an equally aggressive tone!
I presume the majority of that was aimed at me as the OP, I'm sorry that you see an honest review as moaning, I posted it in the Holiday Reports section and nowhere did I see a warning saying all content must be 100% positive. If you are so against going off others recommendations it begs the question why you are on a public forum in the first place.
In fact I think this has been a primarily positive thread, lots of praise for Yakamoz which I have never seen mentioned on here before. I hope others find it more useful than yourself. I for one particularly like reading about the restaurants and wouldn't want to waste my hard earned cash in one that was consistently poor when I only have 14 nights to fill - maybe you are more fortunate and live or visit regularly and have the luxury of working your way through them all.

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »
 My rant (opinion) wasn't directed at you, personally, Lancs lass (re: Lord of the Flies)... it was just, on scan reading everybody's reviews (after yours and since Antlers) they're all competing to be " OMG  yeah but.. yeh but!). negs overtook the pos! lol! >:D

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »
My rant (opinion) wasn't directed at you, personally, Lancs lass (re: Lord of the Flies)... it was just, on scan reading everybody's reviews (after yours and since Antlers) they're all competing to be " OMG  yeah but.. yeh but!). negs overtook the pos! lol! >:D

Rockykalamar - yet the point has been made that the reviews generally have been less positive in August than in previous months ... plus people have given a number of possibilities as to the reasons for the perceived drop in standards.

It did feel like an attack on the original poster. I felt compelled to respond.

Enjoy your holiday in October.

Hopefully normal service will have been resumed!

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:04 PM »
Thanks ! Much appreciated!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where did that fortnight go to!

Started by hobbo on Holiday Reports and Reviews

20 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 11:23:28 AM
by amber
xx
Where did that fortnight go?

Started by Joeyloveskalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 09:30:19 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Twenty-six years absence, so what's a fortnight in reporting back!

Started by Jann on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 05:31:47 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
OK...... it's about food!

Started by jamie-n-kimbo on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 04:20:35 PM
by cherylfoster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal