Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!  (Read 18811 times)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
Think you need to hit the pause button so we can all catch up! Kalkan,Meis now Kas. All sounds amazing and looks beautiful going on your FB photos. Beginning to wonder how I'm going to fit everything in that I want to see and do on a day trip to Meis. You and Bob will have to come up with an itinerary that manages to fit in all the highlights, including a lovely lunch by the harbour of course  ;D
Hope you enjoy Kas as much as Meis. You will be heading back to Kalkan for a rest!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »
Your little trip abroad sounds absolutely wonderful! Definitely somewhere we really must visit.....one day!
And now Kas, enjoy!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »
Thank you for all your lovely comments. 

It’s been a whirlwind week, but we have enjoyed every moment of it! And would definitely recommend a stop over for a couple of nights in Meis.

Wednesday ….. Our last day there, well we just chilled to be honest. Our little pension had been lovely, basic but everything we needed, and the owner was a lovely lady. She wasn’t around when we checked out, we were just outside, when she came walking up the road, she was off to meet her next guests arriving on the ferry.  We paid her the money for our stay and Bob said can we have our passports please, which she promptly produced from the carrier bag she was holding.  All very laid back in Greece it seems with the passport security!

The Rhodes Ferry arrived mid morning, and the refugees were all on board and on their way, I had seen them in the morning and felt very sad, but seeing them board the Ferry prayed that they would all now be safe and find a better life somewhere else.

We had a last stroll around the town, and then made our way to Faros Cafe which is where you come into Meis, lovely little restaurant with sunbeds and swimming in the sea, absolutely idealic, and that is what we did, swam, and sunbathed and watched the world go by and boats arriving and departing.  It was the perfect end to our stay on Meis. We had our final Gyros for lunch with a beautiful Greek salad and another couple of glasses of the lovely Retsina, I am getting quite a liking for this tipple now! We had watched the restaurant next door put 6 chickens on a make shift spit roast right on the front of the harbour, everyone stopped to look as they walked by, and around 1pm they were ready and in no time at all, they were all gone!

We made for the Ferry around 4pm, not forgetting the Duty Free Shop first though.  A bottle of Bacardi and Vodka, and some of the lovely Retsina purchased and we were sorted! Well sort of, because our case was getting heavier by the minute, we had so far only worn probably one tenth of what I had packed, I was seriously regretting it now, especially as OH’s back is still playing him up, and I was the only lugging the case around! It seems like chaos at the terminal, but within 20 minutes we were all boarded and the boat set sail! Quite a choppy crossing though the wind was up again, but half an hour later we were back in Turkey! We disembarked, with the suitcase! Passports taken off us, Customs asked me to open the case, produced our Duty Free and all okay, then they said 45 minute wait for the passports! One couple were stopped, and they had some pork in their hand luggage, no meat they were told, not sure whether it was confiscated or not! But they are very strict it seems.

We retrieved our passports and then made for our next little Pension in Kas, which was 5 minutes from the Harbour, another lovely little pension where we were to spend the next 2 days.  We ate at Hunkar in Kas on Wednesday, very different from Kalkan, but the food was lovely, just the same.  We had a walk through town after dinner, one thing we did notice is that there seems to be so many Barbers there, lost count in the end, seem to be in every street!

Thursday ……..

I had packed my trainers, so thought I would go for an early morning run, it was lovely, down to the harbour and along I went, just 20 minutes, but felt very refreshed on my return ready for what was to be our next feast!

Breakfast!! I have never seen anything like it, all the normal Turkish things, but in addition the biggest dish of borek, chips, aubergine with yoghurt, menemen, green bean, red pepper and potatoe dish,  it was absolutely amazing! But chips for breakfast! Who could eat chips for breakfast??? Well I just had a few! The dessert was chocolate cake and lemon cake and the usual fruit! Dessert for breakfast!

Today we were going to go to Cinar Beach which is on the peninsula, instead of taking a taxi which we had planned, we decided to walk, as we had eaten such a huge breakfast! The walk was lovely although the sun was well up on arriving there, but the views amazing and OH took some lovely photos. 

The beach was really lovely, and would recommend it.  Quite a welcome breeze, as the temperatures the last few days have soared well in the late 30s.  Had a lovely day there, despite the wind taking a parasol out and landing on me hitting my head, bit of a shock at the time, but I was okay (it can only happen to me) of all the people on the beach, it landed on my head!

We got the Dolmus back to Kas as far too hot to walk late afternoon, 3TL each and almost right to the door! We watched the sun go down from the harbour and it was beautiful, and we ate at Meydan Restaurant on the front, first meal since breakfast, couldn’t believe how hungry we were.  We shared a meat pide, shrimp casserole and a lovely Village salad (the healthy bit), but it was all very nice!

Friday …….

Another early morning run, Turkish feast again, but today I was quite conservative!

Market day in Kas, and I really needed to get my brother’s promised t shirts, just a short walk from where we were staying so all was good, purchases made and we were back to check out by 11.30pm.  Paid and asked for our passports back again! He rummaged through the drawer, amongst a stapler, papers, pens etc, and there they were underneath everything! When I think how we hide them away at home. We did chuckle though. The owner of the pension had said he would take our now very heavy suitcase and us to the office at the  harbour as we were leaving the case there for the day ready for our transfer bus back to Kalkan at 6pm.  We must have misunderstood him, as he meant he would take the case to the office which was fine, we could walk, but he had a scooter.  He promptly loaded the huge case with duty free inside onto the back of it, and off he went, don’t worry he said, I do this al the time, driving the scooter holding onto our case behind him! Couldn’t believe what we were seeing, but case and driver were all safe!

We spent the day a Mumi Beach Club which is to the right of the harbour, we hadn’t been there before and it was beautiful.  We had a lovely late lunch with wine and beer for hydration, boy was it hot today, the breeze from the sea wasn’t really doing much, so lots of swimming for us.  A few parasols escaped again, but this time, I kept my head well covered and protected! We had a fab day, and at 6pm we were on the transfer bus en route back to Kalkan.

We ate at Fotos Pizza last night, we are not big Pizza lovers, but have been fancying one all holiday, and all I can say is that the view is fabulous, and as for the Pizza well it was absolutely delicious, OH was very pleased as his beer was 9.50TL as well, another place I would recommend if you like Pizza. It was very busy as we were quite late eating, but we didn’t wait very long for our meal and it was all freshly cooked.

Saturday …… Only 4 days left of our holiday, where has the time gone? Have no idea what we are doing today, but am sure it will involve swimming and lazing on a sunbed somewhere!

Have a lovely bank holiday folks!

Sx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Oh shirl, hope your bonce is ok!!  :o trust the Brolly to land on you  ;D

We are missing you both like you wouldn't believe and really wish we were with you. It sounds like you've had an amazing time on meis.

Enjoy your last few days and make the most of them. X

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
Lizzie, we certainly are making the most of our last few days, and ditto, missing you guys lots  :D :D

Well we are definitely in single figures now! 2 whole days left and then home time!

Saturday ….. Normal early morning routine, a definite run today after that humungous pizza the night before.  A little bit of packing and sorting as don’t want to leave it to the last minute, we wan’t to make the most of our last few days in the sunshine, having said that so glad that the sun has finally come out at home for everyone!

Another haircut for OH this morning, so off to town, the Shack today it was to be, I had a wander and ended up in Desti Gift Shop, love this shop and the owner is an absolute Gentleman. He told me he had a shop in London, and ended up showing me photos on his laptop.  Bought a couple more of their lovely Turkish purses for gifts, he has such lovely things in there.

Back to meet OH, but he was still having the works! Absolute precision in every cut of his hair, followed by the normal fire in the ears and nose and then the beating (well I think they call it a massage)! But he felt so much better for it, despite his bad back! As I was sitting waiting, enthralled by the procedure, a chap came in for a haircut, saw me sitting there and said are you next for a shave! Much to everyone’s amusement, I replied “no it’s okay, I had a shave yesterday”!!!!

We called in to see Ebo at the Sunglasses Shop, what a lovely guy. Town Beach we thought today, but then decided we would go and say hello to Regae at the Pirat as we had promised we would one day pop along, and haven’t, so that’s what we did.  We ended up spending the day there by the pool, with lunch, beer and wine (a few glasses)! We saw lots of old faces from when we stayed there a few years ago, they never forget and are so nice. It was also busy which was nice to see too.

Back home for a BBQ in the evening and yet another swim.  What a lovely relaxing day we had, I think we only made it to 10.30pm, and bed it was to be!

Sunday …….. Morning ritual for my run, I am 100% certain Yali was still Yali as I ran past, but as you probably have seen it is now changed to Anka! And sure enough when we walked past in the evening the signs had changed, and pretty impressive it looks too.  They certainly worked very quickly on that! We even stopped at the bank around 11.30am in the morning and it was still Yali I am certain!

Another wander through town for us, big decision where for a late lunch? Meldi Hotel was our choice, so a wander along to there, and a very good choice it was.  Chicken Salad and Tuna Salad and they were very good indeed, really lovely food, so much so we have booked for dinner there on our last night! Have kept saying we would go in the evening but have never got round to it.  We spent the afternoon there swimming and relaxing, but it was absolutely scorching.  They even brought round frozen towels mid afternoon, never experienced that before, but what a good idea, really cooled us down.

In the evening we went to Kaya (more food) I am dreading getting on the scales when I get home.  Such a fun evening, the guys in there go all out to make you feel welcome and the food was fab. Big mistake though, we ordered starters, not realising the complimentary dish would appear! Massive hot bread with olives and the most amazing dip, which apparently is olive oil from the mountains, rock salt, ground pepper and pomegranate syrup, served warm, it is definitely something to replicate at home! We had ordered garlic stuffed mushrooms and homemade chicken liver pate, all of which was delicious, stuffed aubergine with lamb mince and I had chicken in a ginger, garlic and cihlli sauce and of course the homemade chips! Oh dear were we full! But a fab evening and so glad that went. A big thank you to the Kaya Boys!

Monday ………

A long run this morning after the feast again! No breakfast just fruit, and it is Yildiz 3 take 2 today, and you know what that means! Another feast!

Sx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
Shirl.....I'm not sure what impresses me more, the runs or the food!! Certainly sounds like you are making the most of your last few days. I'm sad it's coming to an end so can't imagine how you feel  :-\

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how much others manage to pack into their holidays in Kalkan. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your experiences Shirl and I will try to be a bit more adventurous on my next visit.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 06:54:54 PM »
My son in law who's come back today says the old Yali supermarket is now much better stocked and they were filling the butchery counter so I guess the new owners will have it up to scratch soon.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
Oh Shirl, I can't believe you are nearing the end of your holiday  :( You certainly have had an amazing time and packed so much in.
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts so thanks for taking the time and sharing your holiday with us.

Enjoy your last couple of days and I wish you both a very safe journey home. 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2017, 06:21:01 AM »
My son in law who's come back today says the old Yali supermarket is now much better stocked and they were filling the butchery counter so I guess the new owners will have it up to scratch soon.
Did the old Butcher get the chop?    8) ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
I assume the new Anka, is owned by someone called Paul? ;D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Jayne, thank you so much for sharing your very LONG holiday with us...you do certainly pack some stuff in whilst you're there. I've loved reading your reports and the runs are indeed impressive, given the Kalkan terrain is less than perfect for walking, let alone running. Hopefully it will have helped balance out the feasts...although its cocktails that do the damage, I swear..and you've sank a lot less of those since Lizillu went home  ;D ;D...just sayin...!
The new Anka is in fact the old Yali owners rebranding....I hope things pick up for them.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.  Sorry for the delay in my final blog. Our long holiday is now well and truly over, but we had the most amazing time, I didn't ever think Kalkan could get better as the years go on, but it well and truly does. 

The last 2 days went by in a flash, but we had the most amazing day on Yildiz 3 on the Monday, second trip on there this year, we met some lovely people, and laughed from the moment we got on until we got off at well after 6.30pm again! Bob did some fishing and after only 20 minutes out of Kalkan Harbour, we had stopped as he had caught his first fish of the day! and very pleased with himself he was too!  :D

Tuesday (our last full day) we went over to Kalkan Beach Park, first trip of the holiday, it was lovely, they have built a new hotel and a swimming pool this year (Haybo you didn't miss it last year, as new for the season), but it was very cold water to say the least, but very nice.  The weather was a bit cloudy, but so humid.  Our last lunch of the holiday so it had to be a burger, and it was delicious.  We went back to Fener for another last of the holiday (their delicious icecreams) and then back for last minute packing all ready for our 2am transfer to Dalaman Airport  ??? ???. We were unsure where to eat, but after great deliberations we decided on Alternatif (We had had 3 fab meals there this holiday).  So off we set, and so glad that we did! I had my favourite dish the Chicken Hermes in a cream, mushroom and brandy sauce and OH had Ottoman chicken, which came on a bed of  mash potatoe with a lovely cheese sauce on the top, all of which was delicious, of course with a side dish of the lovely scooped out chips that they do in there and the fab samosa complimentary dish to start.  We had a lovely evening albeit sad that we were going home, said our goodbyes to everyone, and they kindly gave us a box of their lovely Turkish Delight each, we certainly had chosen a nice place for our last supper!

Home time was approaching, all went smoothly en route home, via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, (I can't praise them enough, they are a brilliant Airline), despite a very turbulent last leg over Germany back to London Gatwick as there was a lot of low cloud! but that is another story, and I won't bore you, but it wasn't very nice considering I am terrified of flying.

Back to reality now, all settled in at home, yesterday we felt a little bit like we were on holiday, as the weather was very warm, and we spent the day on the beach at the Bournemouth Air Show, work is looming for tomorrow, but hey ho, we have had an amazing time of Fun in the Sun! So until next year, I will look forward to reading everyone else's holiday reports.  So come on Joycie and Keith, don't let us down, no pressure! and of course anyone else that is about to go, and wants to share their holiday on EK.  (Babs and Suzyq1) yours will then be next!!

Happy Sunday everyone  :D :D :D

Sx

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:01:33 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
You missed me out Shirl.....we are going soon too!! ;D
Thanks for sharing your amazing holiday with us, you've done some lovely things this year and I can't wait for when we are able to go for longer periods so we can do things like staying on Meis. I'll know where to come for advice. And this time we are definitely going to visit Alternatif, never been but heard so many good things about it!
Hope going back to work isn't too tough....after all, you do have a good view! ;)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
Jayne.....thanks for sharing your holiday. It sounds like your flight home was a bit bumpy and I'm hoping for a smooth flight on Monday week. Tracey isn't the best of fliers and she would definitely not enjoy too much turbulence. I will write a regular blog but I can't promise that mine will be anywhere near as captivating as some that have been written over the past couple of months.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
Aww Babs, so sorry! Of course we will all be looking forward to your reports when you are there in October when everyone else is home! thought I would leave yours to a surprise blog!  :D :D :D xx

Also, I didn't mention Suzyq1, I think she may be on her way too very soon!!!  8)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:55:55 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
Keith have a fabulous holiday, bet you can't wait! Am sure your flight will be fine, safe journey, and look forward to hearing all about your holiday  8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
I'm so needy!  ;D ;D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
Four weeks tomorrow and we'll be on our way. Bri asked show many pairs of shoes should he take? Well since he only ever wears his sandals when we're there one I think!
As for me don't ask and no doubt I'll still find a pair or three to buy while we're there.
Thanks for giving us a wonderful insight into your holiday. Can't wait,

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »
Joycie, a girl can never have too many pairs of shoes on holiday, and Babs am looking forward to reading your EK fix in October!  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:33:38 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another Fabulous holiday in Kalkan

Started by Natsky on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 08:55:37 PM
by claire
xx
Fabulous catering service

Started by clarel on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 06:14:17 PM
by shawn
xx
End of the Forum? Absolutely Not!

Started by alantj on General Discussion

93 Replies
Last post November 29, 2018, 09:11:03 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Fabulous Emir Apartment for sale

Started by Kalkan Magic on Property For Sale

0 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 09:35:56 AM
by Kalkan Magic

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal