Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Good News & Some Bad News  (Read 19618 times)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Some Good News & Some Bad News
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
I would agree with KK being 'busy'. Although the temperatures are mercifully lower, the bars, beaches, restaurants and streets are almost as busy as I've seen them in high season, and the place is still throbbing. I have ended my evening with a nightcap at Cafe Orange opposite Merkez for the last few days, and last night around 10 pm watched a party of 7 being turned away as the place was already packed, with extra tables and chairs already taking up half the cobbled street towards the Quiksilver shop. Needless to say Merkez was also heaving all night (7TL for a beer!). Lovely atmosphere here though - Kalkan first-timers are clearly lapping it up! Sadly, after an impromptu rose wine-fuelled session at Moonlight Bar en route home, the streets of Kalkan aren't the only thing that is throbbing this morning  :-[

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »
Glad Kalkan is busy.It will give some of the traders in the Old town chance to make some money back after the upheaval with the roads being dug up in winter ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
true, BL :-[ I guess I was being a bit selfish wanting the place to be quieter (even though I'm not there..!) because that's how I like it in October. All part of the Kalkan changes I suppose. We'd still come even if it is heaving in October and it's certainly great for businesses as you say :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
Just to add, next season shows no signs of let up. Since I've been here I've had enquiries that could fill my apartment in October 2015 three times over. People are even asking about November availability. The weather right now is just perfect - like a hot English summer's day and the sea is like a millpond. Yesterday I spent a blissful few hours lying on over-sized cushions on the deck at the water's edge at Kalkan Beach Park watching the turtles frolicking nearby, ice cold Efes Malt in hand. Beats the frantic run-up to Halloween/Bonfire Night back home. Trick or treat!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
Do Turtles frolick???..I just picture them floating along to tired to even put a hand over the mouth when they yawn ::) ;D
Trick or treat??? The Range had Christmas stuff out at the start of September!! sacre bleu!! :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:46:23 AM by blue lizard »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
Sunshine and sunbathing on those cushions at Kalkan Beach Club Christina, how lovely! can just picture the scene, efes to hand, turtles in the sea, absolutely bliss I imagine. 

Pompeyalbie where are you today? waiting to hear about your birthday celebrations? How was Adem's, hope you and Janet had a lovely evening/birthday? Was it too many Efes or are you still celebrating  ;D ;D

J&B

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
Monday morning,Janet is excited because it's my birthday but I can't be bothered with it all anymore. By the time I've opened the cards she brought with her time was getting on so I went to make a cup of tea and the milk had turned already, so the obvious answer was off to Fener for a light breakfast of Turkish tea with toast & honey. The plan was to drive to Islamlar & have lunch there. With the wifi being very flakey on Sunday night I hadn't had chance to look on Googlemaps or Tripadvisor to do any research ( you can guess what's coming later), so we topped up with petrol & off we set, although it's my birthday I still had my day job of coach driver & trip supervisor. Now I knew that tour firms run trips to Bezirgan & Islamlar so followed the road up & round the mountain to Bezirgan and followed the road to Emali expecting to see a sign post, we passed through Ikizce and up another mountain, then the road turned to off road where they are building a new one, down through some hairpin bends to a plain & the village of Camliova at which point I decided we were lost in the mountains with no St Bernard to rescue us. So I made the decision to turn back, not good timing as the local driving the car in front of us was weaving all over the road & his 2 kids were both hanging out the side window as he careered up the road so I hung back a bit. Then what do I see on the side of the road? Islamlar 5k so off we went up another mountain road until we got there. Not knowing which place to stop off I had to rely on Mrs "I don't fancy that one " to decide, soon we ran out of village & were on our way back. At a junction with a sign Fethiye or Kas I chose the wrong one and off we went until we arrived at Yesilkoy which was where I'd got Petrol on the D400 so I knew where I was. At the D400 junction I decided we'd go to Patara & see how the restoration work was going. After my climbing around the odeon etc for a while we were getting hungry so back to town and no need guess where we ended up for a toasted cheese sandwich & a beer.
Adem had agreed to pick us up outside Yali at 7 which he did, he'd had a busy few days with lots of big groups in for lunches & dinners which was nice but tonight ther were just us & a couple who had a villa in Kalamar. I decided to break the no starter rule and went for Calamari which I enjoy and as usual nothing in minuscule at Adem's it came with a lovely mustard & walnut dip. For main's Janet decided she wanted the Black & White Steak but felt she couldn't manage 2 steaks so asked for just the white one ( mushroom sauce), I stuck to my usual Lamb Shank which everyone comes arrives on fire. True to form it fell of the bone & it must have been a tall lamb as the bone was huge. We decided to have a sweet so Janet went for the Fresh Fruit Salad & I had a Banana crepe with ice cream which rounded off the meal nicely. Adem knew it was my birthday so sent his eldest over with a couple of complimentary birthday drinks, in the past we've had Ameretto so Janet went for it with a big sip, I was a bit slower in time to recognise the smell of brandy not Ameretto, the surprise on her face was hilarious & I couldn't stop laughing as she hates brandy, the did brink her an Ameretto instead but I was still laughing.
Tuesday being market day we are off to meet my niece & her husband in Fethiye to show then the sights of the market & jewellers.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
Well what an adventurous birthday you had! Sensing the  'spirit of Joycie' is creeping into your reports! Classic!

Have a great day tomorrow

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
So lovely reading the reports when we've already been back two weeks. Glad you're having a great time. Next time get one of the restaurants to fetch you its much easier.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 05:09:08 AM »
Tuesday as always is market day in Fethiye, so we set off a bit earlier as we were meeting up with my niece & her husband. We did our usual trick of driving to calis Beach & getting the water taxi across. It was certainly a hot day SD the temperature began to rise under those awnings, we had to stop for an Efes half way round. I think Sarah was intent on doing her Xmas shopping the amount of bits she was buying. I'd had a purge on my shirts so picked up 3 nice replacements & had an order for some saffron to take back. After we'd marketed out it was back over to the harbour side for a snack & another Efes. Then it was Janet's turn to shop, so off we went to her favourite Fethiye shop who has had enough of my money over the years. She found a nice ring for her little finger which matched the last one she'd got there, I sat outside until I was beckoned in, by this time she'd bartered them down from ÂŁ750 to ÂŁ420 being a returning customer etc etc, luckily I only had to pay half as her birthday present. She wanted it in yellow gold not white so there was a 20 minute wait while they did that so we escaped & left her to wait. After a wander around the side street shops we got back to find her waiting outside grinning happily. Sarah & John got their taxi back to OD & us our water taxi back to Calis.
When we got back to the villa I thought I'd better show some interest in what I'd invested in & out of her bag comes not only the ring but a necklaces as well, seems it started at ÂŁ500 but she got it down to ÂŁ200 once agin for cash sterling. I give up.
Dinner was a bit of a disappointment, someone recommended Lipsos to us down at the harbour so we thought we'd give it a go, the menu looked okay. I saw Octopus casserole & haven't had octopus since having it as a tapas in Menorca years ago. It wasn't available so I went goes a seafood steak which was a fillet steak covered in prawns & calamari in a mustard sauce, Janet went for the grilled salmon. Both dishes were cooked really well & presented very nicely. For dessert I chose Apricot Dessert while Janet went for the Fried Ice Cream, which she'd had at Sade last year so knew what to expect. Mine were caramelised apricots with ice dream while her FIC was nowhere near the Sade equivalent. We enjoyed our meals but what really lets the place down is the service, there were only 4 of us in there when we ordered & it took an age to arrive, I asked for another beer & he forgot, nothing is written down. The staff are in polo shirts & jeans & just wander around I cannot see it surviving down there with the competition it has along that strip.
Wednesday & we were out with Osman on the Yildiz boat, I won't bore you with details as everyone knows what the boat trips are like. He has enlarged the bed space so there were 15 onboard so eating was a little cramped but he has plans to expand that next year by moving a few things around. Needless to say we weren't up for a meal tonight so managed to get a front row table at Merkez for a snack & a drink.
We called in to ADDA tour make sure they don't forget us in the morning in our second attempt to get to Meis.
Right time for some after sun as I am a little dark pink should we say.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
Don't know how Osman is going to get more than 16 onboard at lunch - it's surely at capacity for meal times?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
It was a bit awkward on Yildiz this year re dining. There were 11 of us and a family of 4 on the boat. The family of 4 had the top deck and we had the bottom which was great - plenty of room for us all, but we didn't really mingle with them until lunch - then we had no choice as it really was a tight squeeze. Three of them sat on a side table (like a fold up card table) at the side and 1 joined us on the big table. I felt really sorry for that family as the 3 on the card table were really squashed as were we - good job there were 2 very slim young kids in our party - we just hoped that they didn't feel left out. We all got on well and had a good natter and a giggle but it wasn't ideal.
At friut and cake time, Osman served theirs up on the top deck for them. We had a fantastic day, Osman and Zynap were excellent hosts and their little girl was a delight, but think we were more comfortable on Pina - x which only holds 12.

Attagirl Janet!  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »
The thing with Yildiz boats they are a victim of their own success. It used to just be Osman with a 12 berth boat and Adem with the smaller vessel that held 6. We have spent many happy hours at sea on Adem's boat, always hiring it just for ourselves but they were turning so many people away, it made sense to have two boats that hold 12. Now those boats hold 16 - 18 at a push but the dining area has remained the same on Yildiz 2 and its a bit...er....cosy. They are very aware of it and the fold out tables aren't ideal but becasue we love this family so much we are happy to muck in. This year for the first time in many years just BH and I booked for a trip so we were the outnumbered ones as there was a big party of maybe 12/14. They were lovely company as were the other couple so everything was good...but I can imagine if you didnt get on with your fellow passengers it wouldn't be too pleasant.
Janet you are a star shopper...Not one but two items of jewellery :) I would put money on those not being the last pieces you buy on this trip. Shame about the service at Lipsos, particularly if the food was nice.
Look forward to hearing more about your stay...hope you were picked up for your Meis trip today ::)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »
Hope you had a good day in Meis.  go Janet with the jewellery shopping!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
Thursday our last full day here, the driver turned up so off the Meis we went. A pretty uneventful journey although Janet was pretty unimpressed about having to hand over our passports for a long period of time, probably expects some terrorist t enter the country under her name. They'd get turned away as soon as immigration saw the lack of gold on them. Anyway we got there okay & have to agree it is pretty picture postcard stuff. We went to the church by the harbour but it was locked up, didn't take us long to find out why when we saw the priest having a Tuborg, a fag & chatting on his mobile at a harbour side bar. We wandered on round the harbour front passed the Greek naval ship which looked a bit like the Greek version of HMS Troutbridge looking at some of the crew. Saw a couple go into the mosque at the end so I thought at last a chance to knock one off the bucket list, wrong it's a museum now. After that we followed the route around the end of the harbour until it was enough for Janet's hip & the fact the steps looked steep. So I parked her on a seat and proceeded to climb up to the museum which was also shut. I then climbed the iron steps and the ladder to the top of the Crusaders fort. A nice view from up there but a little lacking in H & S. After clambering down and finding her where I'd left her it was time for some lunch, not a bad deal of a Greek salad, chip & fresh fish for €25 between us, 2 meaty fishes as well very nice & washed down with a Greek beer. After a bit more wandering we became a bit bored & it was only just gone 2 so we found a bench & had a siesta then a cup of tea & a latte before getting onboard to come back.
The final tale when we get back home, oh it was a beautiful sunset tonight.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »
You're not selling Meis!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
I never bought it PW, so how can I sell it?  ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
It's Greek, So Germany own it, anyway....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Good news... or bad news?

Started by MartynE on Money & Finance

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 06:36:46 AM
by MartynE
xx
Good News/Bad News

Started by maryjane on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 06:10:21 PM
by misty
xx
Really good news

Started by onelove on The Everything Else Area!

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:41:14 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Good news

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
by EK Moderator

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sunset

Views: 4075
By: irfan
Kalkan 2000