Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Countdown Has Begun...  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Countdown Has Begun...
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
2 more days at work, 1 day to get things together then a 3 a.m drive to Gatwick for the 7:20 flight on Friday to Dalaman. :D
All the paperwork printed off for flights, car hire etc, some TL obtained to tide me over making sure I had change for the Gocek tunnel so now just can't wait. This time I'll bring sterling to exchange over there as it seems the rates are better, got 2.75 in M& S yesterday. As we know where we are staying this time I'll carry on round to Adam's to book my birthday meal for Saturday night before heading back.
Unlucky for you I'll be taking the Ipad so you may have to put up with another blog for the week. >:D
We can't wait.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10233.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:28:26 AM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: The Countdown Has Begun...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
.....have a great time, look forward to reading your live updates from Kalkan :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Hope you have a wonderful holiday, so wish we were going back soon. I'm also really looking forward to reading about your  adventures!  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
Now October is here, what are the evenings like? do we have to pack a couple of light jumpers for terrace meals? I know in May Mrs P was offered a pashmina one evening but they don't really suit me.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
Have a lovely holiday, will be thinking about you and all the other lucky people in Kalkan.

Can't answer you for definite about the jumpers but I would pack one just in case.

Jo

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
I would say definitely take a jumper or two for the evenings, it does get a bit chilly sitting in the terraces sometimes

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Have a fab holiday Pompeyalbie!!
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
...or you could do what BH did, last time we were there in October and buy a couple of nice jumpers in V&B. He's also been known to accept the offer of a "pashmina" in May when he was dithering on Nar's rooftop terrace....needs must sometimes ;)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
Friday 5th things didn't start to well, we left home in pouring rain and driving to Gatwick through the lakes on some of West Sussex country roads wasn't my idea of fun at 3a.m. Still we got there in good time, and must have been one of the first to book in as we had seats near the front. All loaded up and raring to go the Thomas Cook flight was next to take off when it did a U turn and headed back to the stand because "the company has recalled us", speculation as to what that meant was rife. Turned out a plane in that holiday place in Egypt needed an engineer and our flight had to take him to Dalaman so he could then hop over to fix it.
We eventually landed an hour & a half late but I was smiling as I strolled past the queue for visas as ours were still valid, little did I know my bag must have been the last one off but hey ho we were here and the sun was shining. I picked up the car and headed for the D400, first police traffic check we were pulled over but after a licence check we were on our way. We just came out of the Gocek Tunnel and the first spots of rain appeared, by the time we reached Fethiye the wipers were on full time, we were treated to a fabulous thunder & lightening storm as we cruised long the road, some really spectacular arcs of lightening. When we came around the bend as saw the bay laid out all that had gone before didn't matter. We'd already decided that we would carry on round to Adam's Place to book my birthday meal, as soon as we got out the car he greeted us as old friends and remembered us from May. I surprised him with a bag of assorted vegetable seeds for his garden. We stopped for a quick drink then headed back to book in the apartment and it started to rain again.
After a quick visit to Yali to get a few essentials it was time for a shower and go out for something to eat, we hadn't eaten since Gatwick. I decided we'd give Alternatif a try as we meant to go there last time but didn't. For starters I went for my favourite calamari which was very tasty and plentiful, Mrs P had Prawn Pastries which were boreks really, 3 big parcels which she tells me were delicious. For mains we both went for a chicken dish, she had Chicken Florence which was chicken & prawns in a mushrooms sauce while I had Chicken Alternatif which was Chicken & salami in a very tasty sauce. We both left empty plates and agreed it was a good start for the week. Last time we rarely had a sweet but decided we should try them this time, Mrs P went for something lite in Creme Caramel while  I went the distance with Bakalava & ice cream. The whole meal including an Efes(naturally) and a glass if Rosé came to 115TL which is still a darn sight cheaper than at home ( a pint of HSBC & a large Rosé cost me £9:40 on Thursday!!).
I need to check out the wifi so I can post these episodes.
Saturday I'm going for a Turkish Bath & we'll have a wander around the shops, we've already been recognised by shop & restaurant staff I don't know how they do it with the number of people the see each season.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:48:11 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
So glad you're there and having a great time :) Been back a week now and lets just say I'm cold and fed up :(
Let us know how your holiday unfolds it will help while away the dark hours!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Great post, Pompeyalbie, keep them coming as I really need a Kalkan fix :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Day 2 or as Mrs P keeps reminding me birthday 61. We had a lazy day today, went down into town to do a bit of shopping. Mrs P had to go into optitians to get her glasses adjusted and reactions put on her long distance glasses.a general wander around met by a couple of "nice to see you again" from various people.We had lunch at the Lighthouse, I had a toasted cheese & salami sandwich while Mrs P has a toasted cheese sandwich both were very nice and just what we needed to tide us over.The afternoon was spent by the pool until it was rudely interrupted by some claps of thunder and a shower, so I retired to read a forum & twitter to keep upto date with a vital League 1 game at Milton Keynes. At half time I just had to have a dip in to pool so I could say I was in the pool on my birthday.
My birthday meal was booked for Adam's Place because I enjoyed it so much last time. Pre meal I had an Efes while Janet went for a gin & tonic or as she put it a tonic & gin as the gin was definitely the predominate content. She didn't want a starter but I had to go for his Meze plate which was enormous and we shared that. For a main course I went for a black & white steak which was 2 fillet steaks, one in a red wine sauce & the other in a mushroom sauce. Janet had Creme chicken which was a mushroom, onion & peppers sauce. They were absolutely delicious, the steaks were tender and tasty as was her chicken. Next came the surprise, instead of the sweet menu out came a candled chocolate & coffee cake with sparklers, and his youngest daughter brought me 2 flowers she'd picked from the garden. It was a lovely evening, we were sat all on our own on the lower level with a lovely view while other diners were sat on the upper level. We had a little shower and a power cut where it was pitch black apart from the oil lamps on the table but we were treated to a short lightening storm out at sea.
It is certainly a birthday meal I won't forget. :laugh: :laugh: :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Happy 61st pompeyalbie!! :) what a lovely birthday you had. I'm loving hearing about your holiday and I hope you get your iPad plug sorted 'cos I don't want to have to wait too long for the next episode.  :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
Great posts Pompeyalbie,keep them coming............

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
Sorry about the delay in the next instalment of our week in Kalkan but the wifi has been very flakey coupled with I've not been feeling too good.
Anyway, Sunday morning we popped down to the harbour to book up a day trip with Osmun on Yildiz 2 but  it was booked for a private hire so we signed up to go with Adem  on Yildiz 3. Neither of us felt hungry after our lovely meal the night before so skipped breakfast and went back to the villa to just chill out. I can't just laze by the pool so decided I'd go down to Atlantis Wellbeing and have a Turkish Bath, there were different people running it to when I'd been before but it was still an excellent experience, I came out so relaxed. The rest of the day became a bit of a Small Faces day, (Lazy Sunday) just spent reading or floating on the Lilo in the pool. When we decided to go out for supper I thought I'd carry on my bit of pampering by having a shave at Trend by the taxi rank. I'd had one before in Didim but this was a whole new experience, a double shave, eyebrows, ears & nose trim, flames on ears, massage the works and all for 10TL, I felt great afterwards. On to dinner, we'd decided to go to Mussakka as we'd enjoyed it last time, for starters I had the Lambs liver & onions while Janet had the prawn borek both went down very nicely, our mains were both seabass, mine with prawns whilst Janet had hers cooked in foil and contained cheese & spinach. The taste & presentation was lovely in both of them. Here is where I may have made a fatal mistake, we decided on a sweet, Janet went for the baked banana with chocolate & cream while I went for apricot parcels with ice cream.Eyes bigger than belly comes to mind because I was pretty full and didn't sleep to well being a big bloated.
Monday morning & I still didn't feel to good, thinking about it maybe it was the scrumped pomegranate I picked out of the garden that my stomach didn't like. Well the sea was calm& the sun was out as we set off for our 5 bay trip, the sea was warm and I swam on all of the stops but for the last one, the cooking was every bit as good as we expected, although I didn't each much but what I did have was good. We decided not to go out for supper having had lunch & cake & biscuits on the boat.
Tuesday was a day we'd already decided that we'd spend in Fethiye for a bit of shopping. When Janet's mum died she decided that with some of her inheritance she would buy something special with it as a "keepsake from mum". Having never driven into Fethiye from the east before we decided to go on to Calis Beach park there  and get the water taxi over. We hit the market there, I love the sights & sound of the fruit & veg section, the smell of the spices along with the colours is fantastic. Janet picked up a pair of leather sandals for a silly price and we moved on to the serious business of the day , after stopping for a drink on the way. She knew exactly where she wanted to go, a jewellers where I'd bought her an Eternity ring on our very first visit to Turkey. After being shown a couple of diamond rings in the 4-5k region things started to come down to a more affordable level. I just sit there & watch as I know nothing about all this, they produced a ring with 5 diamonds across the front, he explained the carats etc put it on the scales and came up with a price of£1600, still too much, this eventually came down to £1200, the manager came across and said he'd recognised me but had only just recognised Janet as her hairstyle & colour was different from 4 years ago. He then produced another ring this time with 3 larger diamonds and about a dozen smaller ones around them & and we could have that one for the same price as we'd said we were staying in Kalkan and had come to his shop especially. Janet was sold, she like the second one , then I got the "can you lend me £200?", she them produces a wad of £20 notes and pays in cash to my and their amazement. Good job I was sat down I wasn't aware she had brought that amount of cash with her, let alone wandered around the busy market with it in her bag!! Still she hadn't finished, there was a white & yellow gold bracelet she'd spotted in the window that she'd liked, it wad priced at roughly £800 but the manager said that as we'd already bought something and were returning customers plus it was near the end of season she could have it for £400. Crafty madam never brought her plastic with her so guess who got that loaded on his card. She's not cheap to have around when there are jewellers about. I quickly got her back on the water taxi before she did anymore damage.
We decided we'd take pot luck where we ate that night as we hadn't booked anywhere & I was feeling better after a days fasting, first we had to pop in to the optitians to pick up her glasses which she'd had reactions put on, plus a sop off at her favourite Kalkan  jewellers Miss Silver who were adapting a pair of earrings to go with a necklace & bracelet she'd bought in May from them. Unbeknown to me she'd already had her eye on another bracelet& necklace set in a similar style , so as "special customers" the gave her a deal of the 2 pieces for £300 plus they'd throw in the earrings for free. Out came Mr Visa again, I hope the bells at the bank aren't ringing for 2 transactions in different places for 2 x 3 figure amounts! On to dinner we decided to go to Escudo as we only had a main there before after being on Yildiz in May. We both opted for no starter and Janet had Ginger chicken with noodles cooked in an oriental style while I went for veal cooked with nuts, dates and plums. Mine was very rich and tasty while hers was enormous but she loved it. For dessert we both went for crepes  with lemon which were really nice and zesty. I managed to get her home without anymore spending, good job we have a safe in the apartment.
We seem to have adopted a kitten who has visited us on a number of occasions in the last few days, kept us entertained by running around the settee and playing withe the tussles on the throw then deciding to attack the tassels on the rug, daft little thing.
It's a bit overcast this morning and just watch a couple of lightening strikes way out at sea. We were planning to go and look at the ruins at Patara as they are the only site we haven't visited today. That's been the problem we did so much last time we are at a lose where to go this time. Thunder seems to be getting closer so better go inside.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
Great post, Pompeyalbie...wow Janet did well for herself on the bling front - I like her style :)
Glad you're feeling better, but I know how you feel when you've over-indulged on lovely food - I have to sit bolt upright in bed because it feels like my stomach is about to burst  :P I don't sleep a wink but BH sleeps like a top when he eats too much.
Glad you enjoyed Yildiz 3, Adem is a great host and the homemade cake is my favourite.
Keep your live reports coming, I'm loving them.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
Excellent reports Pompeyalbie, felt like i was with you on the water taxi to Fethiye because as you know it's only a few weeks back we were on it ourselves! Look forward to next installment!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
Excellent post Pompeyalbie, and well done Janet on your shopping!!!  ;D

J

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
Respect to Janet  :D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Well wet Wednesday was a wash out, it drizzled on & off all day long, our plans to go to Patara were well and truly sunk. Spent the morning reading then in between showers ventured out to Hunkalar (sp) for a spot of lunch, having read glowing reports on here and finding it on our way out we thought e'd give it a try. It was packed as I assume is the norm, Mrs P had a cheese pide, I fancied the Ottoman casserole but they said it would take 45 minutes to prepare so suggested I try Iskender doner which was my first ever doner and was really tasty. We then ventured down the slippery paving to pick up some small dishes but the rain came again so it was back to the villa again. I can't stand being stuck in so went down to Atlantis Wellbeing for a bath & massage which was so relaxing.
Janet made the decision we'd go back to Alternatif for dinner, a good choice it turns out as it was Mustapha's birthday and there was fireworks & dancing planned plus birthday cake all round. We sat chatting with some long time visitors, Sandy & Bernie from the West Country a nice couple who were staying at the Regency.
When we got home it seems we were adopted by another young grey tabby kitten, she came bounding up the hill and insisted in being the first through the door, a friendly little thing who made herself at home on both our laps after following us around walking in-between our legs, affectionate & friendly. She turned up again on Thursday morning and again just before we went out in the evening.
Thursday, the sun returned and everything was right with the world. We popped over to the market to have a browse and get some apple tea to take back. While there we bumped into Adem and booked a table for tonight. Next it was off to Patara to complete my set of ancient sites, I just love climbing to the top of the theatres and seeing what the view is like from the back row. It has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work tidying it up, apart from the bit they've reconstructed. We came back and went down to Fener for lunch but my upset tummy was starting to return so didn't really enjoy it. Popped into the chemist by the Corner and picked up something to hopefully sort it out as Gavescon wasn't working. Spent the rest of the afternoon lazing by the pool  and floating on the Lilo.
Although I wasn't really feeling 100% we did go over to Adem's but I'm afraid I cried off half way through his glorious lamb shank, such a shame as I'd been looking forward to it all week. He was very understanding and brought me something on a spoon to take and then put some liquid in my belly button!! He said he uses it on his children and it works fine, as we left he gave me a lemon and some mint to make mint tea which should also help. He's such a lovely man.
Friday sees our departure back home so may do an update over the weekend if anything exciting happens. It's been a different week to our one in May but we've both enjoyed it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Four week countdown has begun!!!

Started by amberpop on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 08:22:07 AM
by Livingproof
xx
Countdown!!!

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 07:25:11 PM
by Alexis72
xx
Countdown - 2 weeks

Started by Andreena2013 on Introduce Yourself

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 08:28:22 AM
by BarbH
xx
Countdown to Kalkan

Started by Lizilu20 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 11:36:36 AM
by lucasvdb

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EK 70s Night

Views: 4302
By: Enjoy Kalkan
Tlos Castle.JPG