Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Diary of Clyde Kitchen (Week 2)  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Secret Diary of Clyde Kitchen (Week 2)
« on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:25 PM »
Thank you for reading Week 1.

Week 2 started with the catching of the dolmas to Kaputas. Phew, what another scorcher! The sea was beautiful however. Lunch was a complicated affair at the self-service cafe although the pancakes were fresh and delicious. After a day in the sun, we climbed the steps to catch the bus home. When it eventually arrived, there was only space for one! I therefore waited another half an hour in the blazing sun for the next one to arrive. A Cherry Magnum and a cold Efes were gratefully received back at the Samira.

Dinner was delicious at the re-vamped Gusto. Great food and a lovely location. Speaking to Hal at Kleo later, he confirmed that it had been recently agreed to complete the stone work between Kleo and the beach. Great news! We thought back to the year of the fire and how depressing everything looked back then. The harbour area is looking brilliant now. I wonder what ever happened to that 3 part plan to redevelop the harbour area? Hopefully, they are safely locked away in someone’s office in Kas, never to be seen again. Yali and the Moonlight were visited on the walk home.

Saturday was a town beach day. Lunch was at the Black Pearl, a very tasty pizza and salad. I hope things work out for those guys, they were friendly and fun.

We visited the Flamingo terrace before heading to Akin for our evening meal. Akin and Korsan are the two restaurants that we have visited in all of our 12 visits. We had a lovely table over-looking the harbour and the food, as always, was amazing. My partner, Trudi, had the Village Kebab and I had stuffed meatballs - superb! Many drinks were had at Berzingans afterwards with a couple who we met at the Samira a few years back and have chatted to on various occasions since.

A trip on the Falcon was booked for Sunday. The boat was about half full, which was about right. We stopped at Mouse Island for lunch where the snorkelling was very good. The sea was clear and warm and there were lots of different kinds of fish, looking for lunch also. We also spotted jelly fish and star fish. Back on deck, lunch was ready and included chicken, fish, cheese rolls, lots of salad and rice. A lazy afternoon up on deck was had, stopping only for the obligatory mud bath. A great day, as always.

Looking at least 10 years younger, we popped downstairs for dinner at Oz Adana. Great food at such a low price and nice people too. Post dinner drinks were had at Bada (where, somewhat disconcertingly, Wham’s Last Christmas was playing!!), Shade, Moonlight and Berzies again.

We caught the Dolmas to Kas on Monday and spent the morning walking around the shops and pretty town. We popped to our usual Kas eaterie, Cinarlar for a snack. The guy knows us there and makes us feel so welcome. We had the largest puffy bread and mixed mezze to start (for free), a pide and a salad for main and ice cream and apple tea, on the house. We were stuffed and fell asleep on the journey back to Kalkan.

Dinner was with friends from Norwich, at the Olive Garden - very tasty. Cocktails were had in Yali and the Shade Lounge.

After the food fest of yesterday, I made an extra effort to do my early morning run today. A couple of roads back from the Samira I had previously noted a new hotel, Mogons Exclusive. Has anyone stayed here? It doesn’t look the most inviting and guests seemed to be very thin on the ground.

We spent a hot day at the Kalamar Beach club, swimming, snorkelling, kayaking, bouncing around on the sea doughnut. It was definitely getting warmer!

It was lovely to watch the sun setting in Utopia. The islands looked beautiful and Kalkan was buzzing. It was perfect! Dinner was a random selection of Sherlock Holmes. The reviews were a little mixed but we had a lovely meal and the staff were friendly and funny. We had a few Sherlock jokes with the guys and there were plenty of candidates for the Hound of the Baskervilles, obviously. Good to see the Moonlight very busy too.

Patara was the destination for our penultimate day. We usually take a look at the amphitheater but decided to have a relaxing day on the beach - which was lovely.

We had a cocktail at the Mini Bar before dinner at Teras - wow, what a meal. I had the Seafood Platter which was massive and delicious (note to self, don’t bother with a starter next year). This was our favourite meal, absolutely first class.

We popped into the Fountain Bar afterwards. The guy remembered me from last year for (lightheartedly) complaining about the price of an Efes. I congratulated him on retaining their title of the most expensive Efes - 26.5 lira. Trudi said that the cocktails were delicious.

After a breakfast at Merkez (very tasty) we spent a lovely last day at the town beach. It was good to see Martin Moonlight down there who stopped for a chat. We go to the Moonlight a bit but he was genuinely pleased to see us and speak with us for a while.

We had a lovely final meal in Seaport (everyone had their shirt on), the steaks were fabulous. It was the perfect setting to end another fantastic holiday.It was sad to say goodbye to the guys in Bada, Kleo, Yali (my favourite bar this year)and the Moonlight. We had a last drink at the Samira bar and toasted a very special holiday.

The exchange rates while we were there ranged between 7.30 and 6.90. The best rates were found to be at the official kiosk near the post office (we called him Kiosk Keith).

Kalkan is as special as ever. The weather is good, the town looks beautiful and there is a vibrancy about the place again. Kalkan is changing but so is everything else.

On our last day at the beach, I saw two examples, within minutes of each other, that people who visit Kalkan are decent, kind people. The old, blind guy who goes to the beach was struggling to get out of the sea and an English guy helped him out. Another English guy then gave the blind Turkish guy a big wad of notes, he had dropped them when getting into the sea.

Merry Christmas!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14256.0

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Diary of Clyde Kitchen (Week 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Definitely put me in holiday mode and looking forward to our next visit at the beginning of September. I tend to use Bezirgan as my watering hole of choice but may give some of the other bars some custom this year. Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »
Thank you  for taking the time to post - Cinarlar is our favourite place to eat in Kas too. We were there in May and there was some sort of organised group there - a table of 8, various nationalities with a Chinese guide......they looked so uncomfortable together, we hope it was the first day and the ice hadn't broken otherwise they could have been in for a long week

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
PS I can't  find week one

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:54:02 PM »
Sorry for the confusion......Week 1 was entitled TUR..BOO..LANCE!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal