Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Va Va June  (Read 11174 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Va Va June
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »
K4E......loved hearing bout your Meis trip, both on here and in real life! It was lovely to meet you and Shirl and your other halves! I'd love to know why your BH calls Bob Monkey!!  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »
That trip sounds amazing K4E! We’ve got to do that for sure and thanks for spilling the beans. Hope BH is recovering nicely and enjoy the rest of your holiday. The three degrees are now the 2 Ronnies (sorry couldn’t think of any other twosomes) now Shirl is winging her way home.
Enjoy your last week  in paradise  :-*

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
I may have spoken too soon when I said normal service had resumed on the weather...a couple of days of clouds, rain and swirling winds followed hot on the heels of what I would say is normal June weather for Kalkan....but what is normal these days when the UK is hotter than Chile?

BH/Daz has continued to be under the weather...nothing we can put our finger on exactly, which is difficult for me as I’m a fixer and my oversized medicine bag usually has a remedy for most ailments, if not the Pharmacy are pretty good...but vague symptoms of general unwellness and not firing on all cylinders are hard to match to a pill. My “go to” for being out of sorts is Alker Seltzer...and he has wiped me out of my supply without the benefits.

We managed Patara and it was one of his good days.... arriving at 9am to a deserted beach was just beautiful and we made our way to the very last beds in the furthest corner. We had the beach to ourselves for maybe 20 minutes and it was bliss, although it was damn near impossible to put your feet in the sand even at this early hour...it was going to be a hot one!

I could not believe it when the next people arrived, despite every singe bed on the beach being available they set up camp on the next ones to us....is it just me that thinks this is weird?

The day got hotter and the breeze just dropped to nothing but the sea was inviting...once I’d done my version of the funky chicken over the molten hot sand to get in and out. I’d remembered no wine is available at the cafe, although several types of beer are, and had brought frozen gin and limonata with me. Boy they were refreshing with a large bag of the amazing cherries you can buy right now. Such a civilised way to wind down our time at the beach.

Around 5pm we showered and set off to walk into Patara...the shower cooled us down but we were soon roasting hot on that road. By the time we got to Simbar and Beanies it looked as though someone had tipped a bucket of water over our heads, but I felt I earned my Long Island Iced Teas...and some.

On Tuesday we met Babs and Gary and had dinner in Salonika. Love this restaurant and their new bar area is one of my new favourite places to sit - the food and the company were just perfect! This lovely little street gets better and better each year and is more vibrant and entertaining than the harbour for me.

We woke on Wednesday to a mass of clouds...more of the dark grey variety than any other. We’d planned to walk over to Kisla but the weather was not inviting so we made it as far as Patara Prince via the beach and winding through Komurluk and headed back on the top road. The views from here are simply stunning but the weather was not photo friendly! We noticed a couple of buses had pulled in nearer to the old town and there appears to be an official photo stop here...complete with the obligatory strange activity equipment. Lots of people with their cameras taking in that wonderful view...how pretty Kalkan looks from up high! The wind was really whipping up and we hoped it would blow the clouds away and it certainly did a decent job of it.

The sun was in and out for most of the day, then shortly after 10pm the heavens opened...just for good measure.

Yesterday was our last market day so we stocked up on spices, green tea and the heaviest of all heavy weights 6 boxes of Turkish Delight.I bought a couple of Longchamps from Jale’s stall and a couple of the LVMH shawls as Christmas presents and yet another pair of sunglasses....oh and cherries...the fattest, juciest, blackest, sweetest cherries you can ever hope to find a mere 7TL a kilo.

I have yet to buy a bag...its a long story but I’m hopeful that Ertan from BSG can come up trumps at the last minute, but so far he has been unable to get the bag I set my heart on before I left UK. It’s coming from Istanbul...but like the cushions on the town beach...always coming in a couple of days. We’ll see!

Just 4 days left...I cannot tell you where the time has gone!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
Since Chile is in Winter, and the southernmost tip is on a similar latitude to Dumfries, and the Northern extreme roughly equivalent to Mumbai, almost anywhere north of the equator is going to be hotter or colder than somewhere in Chile!

Probably why their wine is better than some other countries I can think of!

(The Weather: probably the one thing you can't do anything about, apart from Sunrise and Sunset times.) >:D :angel:
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
Hope Daz is now on the mend. It’s awful being ill on holiday isn’t it. I can’t believe you’ve been there 3 weeks, they time really is flying by. Enjoy your last day and fingers crossed your bag has arrived.  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Hope that bag comes.....as the sun beds have arrived on the beach maybe this is an omen?! Lovely to have dinner with you and Daz and a sneaky last night G&T in moonlight as Moonlight virgins. You can probably blame us for the unusual weather.....we seem to have that effect!  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
And then there were none....
Not either of the Two Ronnies (thanks Lizilu), or more upsetting for me, no more days. And so for another year our Kalkan adventure has finished...here come the boohoos!

Our last few days were spent chilling and trying to get Daz/BH up to firing on more cylinders. We had come to the conclusion - thanks to Dr Google - that he'd had Heatstroke...thankfully not any other kind of stroke! Google, when not being used for a medical diagnosis, mentions that a new book indicates Bruce Lee died of heatstroke so more care was taken to ensure he didn't over heat in those last few days...seeing how it can affect athletic young men differently! I'll just leave that there....

We had watched the England game in Moonlight..finally getting it right in terms of their satellite channel, the place was rammed, Muhitdin's pad went into overdrive, the seats were rearranged and placed like some elaborate Jenga game and when there were no more seats left, chairs were taken from nearby restaurants and even Nuri's bag shop.
A small group of Belgian fans had a great night....just sayin!

We had not managed a beach club - it was all about the heatstroke - but we did manage the town beach. Daz spent a fair amount of the day under the parasol and in and out of the sea - the stones had been levelled off a day or two before but the high winds took it right back to square one. It was a lovely breezy day and the sea was choppy...so choppy that my graceful entrance into the sea was completely undone by my comedy exit. I fell awkwardly in my stupid stylish crocs and was sucked back into the sea (prone) whilst being battered by what felt like a hundred boulders. Luckily for me, it seemed only Daz saw this slapstick moment but failed to help me as he couldn't move for laughing...apparently. I thought I'd mastered the art of getting in and out of the sea at the town beach...I need to think again - or buy sturdy footwear!

Well Ertan wasnt able to come up with the bag, although he'll keep trying and contact me if he can...sending it over to the UK if he does. Such good service...! I bought a nice pale blue Gucci tote in the sale...a mere £50! It was my consolation bag as I was keeping the fund in its healthy state for the dream bag arrival...I live in hope!

Our last two meals were at Coast Tapas and Chata - both excelled in terms of food and service. Great to see Omer back in Kalkan, he certainly knows how to deliver a stylish offering - the renovation of this lovely old building has been very sympathetic and beautifully done! Chata's Chateaubriand was fabulous and at 180TL for the two of us, an absolute steal.

And before we knew it, it was Monday and our Kalkan Sun Driver had arrived to take us back to Dalaman...the dreaded journey. As we rose above Kalkan on the D400...that bit of grit found its way back to my eye.

Geri yakında, Kalkan!

Final thoughts:

Kalkan was busier than it has been for a good few years...not sure its recovered yet to 2014 levels but I hope with all my heart it continues to grow. Building work has definitely slowed down...almost to a standstill. There were no major new developments that we could see and some of the big developers over the past 10 years seemed to be conspicuous by their absence. Its a shame that the lovely old Asifya Hotel is still an empty ugly shell on Kalamar Road and Roberto's Beach Club continues to be a massive white scar on the beautiful landscape.

Portions have gotten smaller...some of our favourite restaurants were offering tiny fillet steaks with two chips and a smattering of veg...whilst it tasted wonderful, it was taking nouvelle cuisine a step too far! I'm happy to report the fillet steaks in Mussaka are twice the size of any others we had (same price) and still the same consistently high quality. Marley's ran them a very close second! The aforementioned Chata's Chateaubriand...try saying that after a few margaritas...was our favourite meal of the holiday.

Talking of Margaritas they are my yardstick measure of a good cocktail....I could not split it between Marleys, Coast and Fener for the best one in Kalkan. The best one of the holiday was in West Cafe in Gocek....divine! It was also the cheapest.

It was lovely meeting with some EK'ers - Bob & Jayne, Blue Lizard, Babs and Alibobs. Shame this forum has dropped in popularity over the years, I still love it! Love reading about everyone's holidays and Kalkan out of season. Please try and post if you can and keep it going.

I took 7 books and read just 5 of them...too busy being nursemaid. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, The Break, Marian Keyes, The Girl You Left Behind JoJo Moyes, The Keeper of Lost Things Ruth Hogan and He Said She Said Erin Kelly are in order of preference.

Who knew that Chile isn't actually hot...? Note to self, when making an analogy do extensive research on the world wide web first  ;)

A shellac in Turkey is not the same quality as a shellac at home...in my opinion.

The 2M shop near Lime Bar is the best little shop in Kalkan, run by the nicest family. Our constant free turkish delight will have added considerable poundage to my frame...but it was impossible to resist. Also good to see the old Yali (Anka) back up to good stock levels and trading better than it has done for a good few years. Kalkan has a great selection of supermarkets - something for everyone and every budget.

I took a ring to Yardan for repair - I thought it was missing a diamond but my platinum and diamond eternity ring from Tiffany's had actually split. He checked over my other rings and found the claw holding the diamond on my engagement ring had twisted out of shape - also Tiffany's. I have no idea what I do day in day out to do such damage.... He repaired both and returned them to me like new in a matter of days for the princely sum of £70. Incredible!

Daz also took his prescription to Ibo at Kaptans...now Kaptan Optik. His glasses were prepared and fitted whilst we waited and were absolutely perfect. Boots Opticians...take note!

The election came and went and the outcome a foregone conclusion. The only thing we noticed, apart from getting less Lira for your pound, was the noisy - and I mean NOISY - musical campaign vans stopped. It was a blessed relief...give me Boris's Brexit Bus any day....I know it wasn't actually Boris's bus, it was the Vote Leave Campaign's bus, I don't want to get into semantics, call it poetic licence, if you will. Just don't think it needs to be corrected...! :laugh:

Shall we do it all again next year...? Go on then!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:37:04 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
K4E summing up or what??? Absolutely lovely! All I can say is that we loved sharing just a small part of your fabulous holiday. Was so nice to meet you and Daz and look forward to next year  :D :D :D x

Oh and if Ertan can come up with the bag we can bring it back in November!  :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:52:11 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
Or we could pick the bag up in September!  ;D Lovely summing up. Hope Daz is feeling much better now.
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us K4E and thanks for sharing real time.....a treat!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »
Or we can bring it back in August  ;D ;D ;D

Oh I've loved your reports and what a fab summing up. I know it takes time and effort to report back to us who are devouring your every word and I thank you for that. I too would love to see more posts on here. We need to promote the site more. Maybe mention it more on social media? I'm guilty too. I put a post about boat contact details on the FOKer's site as I thought maybe I wouldn't get much response on here. I felt like I was betraying EK !

Thanks again and enjoy this lovely weather to top your tan up. Hope Daz is firing on all cylinders again too.  :-*

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
I too have enjoyed reading your reports, can't believe that I was in the illustrious company of Kalkan4eva for a whole day without realising it!
We are glad that Daz is feeling better.
We had the Chata chateaubriand on our last night too and totally agree with you.
Also,totally agree with you about the Shellac - it's off my fingernails now but building up to the de- pedicure. Getting Artex off a ceiling would be easier!
We are hopefully back in October, planning on flying to Antalya, going to Cirali and Kas for a couple of nights, a week in Kalkan and then Fethie, Gocek and Dalyan before flying back to Dalaman.....wonder where we got that idea from?  ;-)
Alison & Dave X

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
Excellent blog as always K4E. I'm only just catching up with this year's stories from Kalkan and I'm really grateful to everyone that has taken the time to write. We aren't going to have an opportunity to visit this year but looking forward to planning our next visit.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Oh keith, what a shame you are getting over to Kalkan this year - hope all is ok?
Look forward to when keith can...be in Kalkan :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cant wait for June

Started by LancashireLass on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

21 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 07:35:13 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Weather in June

Started by Beckolars on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 08:11:32 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
June is busting out all over.....

Started by kalkan4eva on Holiday Reports and Reviews

74 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 07:27:08 PM
by littlelin
xx
June jaunt!

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 11:37:40 AM
by keith

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Villa Safran

Views: 6380
By: skauser
DSCF0313.JPG