Author Topic: Am I an outcast....  (Read 3502 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Am I an outcast....
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
I do not subscribe to FB for personal reasons  & I know of many like me, but I am finding that because of that I miss out on a lot of information of various sorts.
I am told that if I want/need to know things I must join FB. How sad is that I say, what ever happened to communicating with friends & family, passing on information via email or personal contact. Is this what is happening on EK as I see almost nothing on the forum but suggestions re going via FB. If this is the case then I will discontinue my membership of EK which I joined at the very beginning with the hope of learning & passing on of useful information. Yes I know this is a quiet time on the forum & this year seems to be more so than ever. There is life without FB I am sure.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14113.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:27:38 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline JonJon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: Am I an outcaste....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
You are not alone!!!   This household hates FB as well.   

Let's hope people start to use this site as much as before.   

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:56:42 AM »
I think the forum will come in to it’s own when people start with their holiday reports but I’m afraid for many, FB is just more convenient: simpler to use on mobile devices and reaches a far wider audience for quicker reaction.

Not saying it’s better or worse but things have evolved.

I understand your dislike of FB but it is possible tocreate a profile with privacy set so you can’t be found. Then it’s up to you who or what you choose to follow.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
I am completely with you DRBD. Many sites use Facebook and try to direct you to use it. I don’t use Facebook or twitter as I have no interest in being part of this form of information swopping or unsolicited comments from the rest of the world. When I join a site like EK that has people that have a similar interest then i find it helpful and informative. My business has many young ladies that can’t live without these sites but many of them have had to intervene on who is privy to their comments or stop using them completely. They subsequently open up WhatsApp group sites to keep better control. I won’t ever be joining FB or T and if that becomes the only way to use a site then it’s goodby to that site.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »
Trouble is, the privacy settings may block other FB users, but not Facebook themselves, their advertisers and associated data collection agencies, whether commercial or governmental.  (Think of Cambridge Analytical as the thin end of the wedge)

Remember also, that their are strong indications that this data is abused, misused and god knows what.  Even the facial recognition features, where once you've been tagged, they are applied on ALL pictures posted - you can't escape, your movements can be traced.  It is believed that this identification is also harvested by various international Governmental organisations for their own purposes, not always innocently.

You can argue, rightly, that if you're innocent then you have nothing to fear.  Unfortunately, innocence has little to do with people who wish to do you harm or make money from you.

It's a hostile world out their, sometimes.  B(m)illionaires may care even less about you than they do their bank accounts.

Not just my opinions - just do the research!

Be safe online.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »
Pah! and Double Pah!..no Facebook for me (mrs L is a facbooker) I have no interest in Facebook and wont be joining any time soon. I don't wish to be prodded or poked etc and if I didn't like you twenty years ago I don't want to be your buddy now! >:D long live forums like this for a little bit of chat like Ray says with like minded people.We need people like you DRBD as a resident you can be our eyes on Kalkan as you have done in the past now we don't have KTLN to update us on the goings on (new shop/bars/building  prices etc)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
BL .. Unfortunately have been unabe to to update  for some considerable time due to having had a couple of accidents, needing operations leaving me with a mobility problem. To add to that this winter has been oh so wet & windy making it unpleasant/ difficult to go for walks etc. it has also hindered the goings on in & around Kalkan. Will try to do better.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »
i'll buy you a drone so you can spy from your armchair >:D ;D

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »
I hate FB too 😁 why do people need to air everything in public but I love EK

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
It's a "No" from me too for Facebook, Twitter and such things.   

Although we first went to Kalkan many years ago and have owned a villa there for many years we can still learn things via this Forum and have had helpful responses when asking questions here.   A small example, some guests wanted to stay somewhere overnight near Dalaman airport after a late arrival.   We have always come straight to Kalkan (tried to avoid too late flights anyway) so couldn't help.   A question on this Forum produced quick responses and we were able to let our guests know a good place to stay and they immediately booked rooms at the hotel for the night.   I know they (or we) could have Googled something but there is nothing like personal recommendation and it is always good if you can help visitors new to Kalkan have the best experience possible.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
Further to my earlier post, in today's press:

Mark Zuckerberg refused to attend a meeting with MPs in a committee, and release information, so they had to legally obtain them.

They've revealed that FB by-passed peoples privacy settings and rights and sold on the users' details to third parties FOR MONEY.

Nuff said.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
I am beginning to feel less of an odd ball...😊😊

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 11:34:04 PM »
Chris_S

I thought Mark Z's refusal was some time ago or has he done it again/there been an action ?  Whatever, like the rest of you I'm a bit funny about the sites mentioned.  Besides who wants to fret about making sufficient privacy setting when one of your friends (or even their friends) has open access and suddenly any stranger or wierdo can see something about you when you're completely unaware.  Paranoid, moi ?

Sorry Chris just re-read and was about previous refusal.

Lucy Lou

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 11:20:58 AM »
Yes, it was last year that Zuckerface failed to attend.

Further - it's 110 pages so not a light read(!), the Culture, Media and Sport Committee's report from yesterday (18 Feb 19):

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmcumeds/1791/179103.htm#_idTextAnchor000

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Am I an outcast....
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
I do a bit of everything, to be fair...but you will be relieved to know all the haters are on Facebook. Have to say we dont miss their particular brand of bile on here, leaving EK to be the lovely friendly site it always was.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 2791
By: Lizilu20
caretta caretta