Author Topic: May days in Nkalkan  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
May days in Nkalkan
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »
I've ummed and aahed about writing a blog again, it does take up quite a chick of time but as I got so many positive uplifting comments last time, plus the fact we need to keep Enjoy Kalkan going strong here goes......
Quick recap - we are quite new to Kalkan (2012) but have been back at least 10 times since. Stay in a mixture of places depending on availability and price, this year we at the Oasis again, courtesy of Thomas Cook, not a fan of tour companies per se but this was a fab deal. We prefer to be here in June but our son is getting married this year so have snuck in an early trip. We have been in April and May before so know what to expect - it's quite nice seeing the place change day by day
We flew from a very chilly Gatwick on Sunday at silly o clock......delayed on the runway and I had a child sitting next to me ( as well has hubby - make that 2 😂)......got through the flight and landed in Dalaman in pouring rain......we were the only couple transferring to Kalkan so that was a bonus. Checked in at the Oasis - last year we got a fab upgrade, it's my birthday while we are here so wondered if we may be suitably indulged again - we weren't !!! Not to worry, the rooms here are all spacious and comfortable.
First night in town was a little chilly so we ate at Cinar - we like Rami very much and you get shelter in their without forfeiting the lovely view. Good prices too.
Monday dawned  with beautiful sunshine, fab Oasis breakfast on the terrace . Hubby went off to renew his acquaintance with his gym friends while I walked down to the harbour and Fener  via Yali.........so much building work going on, obviously places like Indigo are being rebuilt for the summer but there is definitely development aplenty. The Likya residence seems to be extending in a big way. Positive vibes about the season ahead. As much as I am glad for the people and the economy a bit of me is a little anxious about the change but many have said that since way before I became a visitor .
A lazy afternoon on the Sunbed then we wandered into town ......first port of call was the MiniBar to people watch and the we chose Kosk for dinner.......excellent food but very very quiet, and a tad breezy on the rooftop .
Food prices seem similar so far but drinks have gone up - hubby always says whatever the exchange rate you pay the same for an efes and I think he's right.
We made a rash decision to walk to Patara today - 12 miles. As it's cooler than when we are normally here we decided it was now or never. I'd found a map at home that I thought hubby had printed out - he hadn't, preferring to use Google maps .......lets just say a few words were said about Google maps but we got there.....we stopped twice for chai and once for a drink so it took us about 4 1/2 hours ........so bloody windy when we got there, we had a quick burger and drink at the cafe then went to get the dolmus back!!! my feet are very sore as I didn't really pack appropriate footwear but glad we did it. Got back to the hotel and flopped on the bed where I am typing this.........shower beckons, tonight we may venture up Greek St/Old St for dinner......sheltered up there I hope

Sent from my iPad

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14230.0

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: May days in Nkalkan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
Kalkan! Nkalkan???

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Lovely report Thankyou really put me in the mood for our special holiday in June.
You walked to Patara you must be mad woman! Well done my get up and go has got up and gone as far as a distance like that is concerned but you did it!
The Likya wasn’t there when we first came to Kalkan just a long dry walk round the headland to Yali where we stayed once having the roof top room as our abode. We would occasionally go to Caretta Caretta for lunch and dinner and it was lovely.
I know that we have to move on but was sorry that quite so much building work was allowed on that beautiful headland. Hey ho progress is what they call it.
I love Old St and the Chinese restaurant too. Can’t wait till June.
Hope you continue with your wonderful holiday the way you started and hope you can keep your blog going. Thankyou xx

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
Wow, thank you, the first holiday report of the season!

You mention an increase in the price of drinks, how much for an Efes this year?

I’ll look forward to further updates, have a great time.

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
We are going on Saturday and I can’t wait . I love your review it’s wet my appetite.
😎â›±

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
Efes between 20 and 25 so far, to be honest hubby hasn't had as many as usual by now, he has a suit to fit in to in June! Will keep you updated as I know it won't last.
House wine was 65 lira in cinar and it was Villa Deluca. In Baharat last night it was 80 but it definitely wasn't Vila Deluca! perfectly quaffable though

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
Walking to Patara is one of those things I will only ever do once .........
So last night we hobbled out  -literally . A huge blister on my foot. totally of my own doing so tried not to complain too much. It was quite breezy and we both felt a bit chilly, hubby had got too much sun on our jaunt to Patara ....we stopped at Minibar and decided we would eat inside at Olive Garden....wandered down and it wasn't open yet!!! They  were putting the furniture out at Merkez with lots of cries of 'Tomorrow, tomorrow' ..... this threw us a bit so after a stroll down Greek st we headed back to Baharat which is our usual default restaurant. It was buzzing, we were quite early but by 8.30 it was full. All around you could see empty terraces, one table in use at Chata, the Small House only had the balcony being used......I had lamb shank, hubby the wild boar ( that's what he had, not a description😉) .....lovely food , definitely an increase in prices, 99 lire for the main courses we had but still good value compared to home.
feet felt a lot better walking home, amazing what alcohol can do.
This morning hubby is back at the gym, I had a short walk but yesterday's efforts mean I can lay on the sunbed for at least three days now and not get fat
 😉
It's a beautiful day today, no wind so far...if it stays like this we will definitely eat at Akin tonight, fingers crossed X

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 11:23:45 AM »
What a super report Alibobs and thank you.

I'm feeling very guilty as we've been twice now since Christmas and I haven't done a blog, however we are back again in 4 weeks so I might just put finger to Ipad if the wifi is good enough.

The weather was quite changeable last week, 7 lovely days but our last 2 were windy and rainy. We managed to pack in a boat trip and a visit to Kaputas and the Patara dunes for sunset which was magical, but sadly we used transport rather than on foot. Just exerting ,myself up and down the dunes with picnic provisions was exercise enough for me. I admire your stamina.

Looking forward to your next installment.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
Great to have the first holiday report of the year. Whatever made you want to walk to Patara Alibobs? You're both obviously very fit. Let us hope that your exploits will encourage other members to share their experience......Lizilu20..........I'm counting on you. We're not out there until September but .......Keith can........and will write a blog ..........in Kalkan.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
Keith, walking to Patara seemed like a good idea at the time.......it really wasn't though, I didn't bring trainers/ walking shoes with me so wore sandals and flip flops - both sturdy but not good. I've dealt with the blister by lancing it and wearing a delightfully huge plaster. My calf muscles and gluteus maximus muscles are protesting .

We always have a daily constitutional in Kalkan, to Kalamar, Kisla or up to the Mediteran.
As it was cooler this year we thought we'd go further afield . My mother always used to say 'You know what thought did?' I never knew what she meant until yesterday

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »
Yep.... Thanks for a first taste of the season!!.... Although the beer price made me do like that picture "The Scream"     Hope your aches get better and wasn't Gluteus Maximus in Gladiator?   ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
Efes,  from 20 tl upwards at the moment.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 06:01:51 AM »
So a really lazy day yesterday , the best day of weather so far so stayed by the pool until about 6.......love listening to our fellow guests chatting about where the best place is for dinner etc especially to new arrivals. One poor lady was given the name of at least 6 different places this afternoon including Chillies, Isos kitchen and Salonika ........how do you tell someone the best place. I always say it's the restaurant I'm currently in.
We wandered (hobbled) down to the harbour to see Adem Yildiz but no one around so we we whatsapped him instead. How things change . I know it is very early in the season but wondered if the captains are much less reliant on the passing evening trade in these days of technology. I guess so. And I guess the passing trade last night was limited although the harbour had a few in....a quick drink at Jimmy's then off to Akin.......wine 49 lira a bottle and as always delicious food - hubby had the mixed grill and me the seafood atom.........delicious. I love the people in Akin, so friendly yet not overbearing.
Walking through the restaurants it was noticeable that the guys were more 'hard sell' than the town (but none unbearably so) . I think this has always been the case but hubby doesn't remember it so. I guess it's early , they are all very keen as its a new season and the numbers are limited at present. lots of work has been done Doy doy looks smart, Sherlock Holmes does too although I'm not sure of their objective - lots of waiters in hats ( not deer stalkers) .....a new ockabasi up by Fener too......
After dinner we walked up through town, Merkez is now open, that to me is proof enough it's holiday time in Kalkan!
Today.........hubby suggested a walk to Kalamar  , foot depending........I remembered its market day though so we will proceed up there and see what happens. Hubby suggested I buy some trainers, he got a suitable response along the lines of that horse has bolted!

Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
Forgot the most important thing -Efes in Akin - 15 lira!!!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
Thats a good price for Efes now, many places put their prices up end of April.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
We recently got back from our first visit to Kalkan this year. We had a very lazy two weeks doing little more than walking around catching up with old friends and sampling the various bars and restaurants. This time we made a deliberate decision to try a few new destinations alongside our old favourites.

The find of the trip was definitely the Atkin restaurant, after years of ignoring it we were persuaded to give it a try by the greeter and had one of the best meals we have ever had in Kalkan. It was so good we came back again the next night, partly to check it wasn't a one off. It wasn't, the food was just as good and we booked it again for the last night of our holiday.

For this I decided to risk trying their fillet steaks, risk because despite following several recommendations for places serving "to die for" steaks, so far I had never had a good steak in Kalkan (yes I am very fussy). Happily I got a very good steak cooked to a perfect medium rare, being picky it wasn't the best steak I have ever had but it was by a long way the best steak I have ever had for around £11 (88TL). Other food highlights were the chicken livers and sea bass both sampled twice and perfectly cooked each time. In addition to serving great food everything is great value, including as noted below Effes/Tuborg at 15TL.

Another new to us restaurant we tried was Yelken. The menu contains a wide mixture of cuisines usually this is a bad sign but everything we tried was very well cooked. For some reason I found myself ordering a Chicken Schnitzel which was excellent. Add in the very nice décor and reasonable prices and this is another restaurant we will be back to in future.   

The old favourite restaurants we tried were Small House, Selonica, Kaya and the Blue Marlin. All lived up to our expectations with their usual combination of good food, friendly service and reasonable prices. 

One thing that might be alarming for some visitors is that we were told a number of restaurants are boycotting Effes. Apparently the company has tried to strongarm the restaurants into accepting very poor terms for their beer supply this year .

The only restaurant we noticed that wasn't serving Effes was Selonica, although there may have been others as we prefer Tuborg anyway.   

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
Really enjoying your posts Alibobs, thank you.  Sounds like your having a fab holiday.  :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:17:19 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
We too only discovered Akin last year - I agree , a fab find. Yelken  is on our to do list this time

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »
Reader, I did something shocking today......went to town wearing a pair of hubby's socks under my stroppy sandals which are made by  crocs ( not the crocs but my daughter says they are as bad)..... it was the only way I was going to be able to walk anywhere and it worked.....when I challenged hubby as to how bad it looked he said 'I am really surprised you are even considering going out like that' which translates as very , very bad!!!
His solution was to buy a pair of trainers in the market but I couldn't bear the thought of trying any shoes on .....so off we went, a mental note made NEVER to be sarky about people's sartorial choices ever again!

Walked through the market which was full of traders but devoid of customers - took us ages to get through as we were the only targets for banter but it was ok. We then headed over to Komurluk/Kisla to find the Castle - heard lots about it last summer......We were made to feel very welcome by Daisy the owner and an excellent coffee - I think it would be well worth a revisit for dinner but by her own admission it's still chilly at night so it may be
a date for future visits.
A wander back via the bakers to grab a sandwich for lunch then an afternoon by the pool.......think we are off to Isos kitchen tonight but we have been very dithery this time so that could change. I'm hoping I might be able to manage without remedial footwear too!

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
So Isos kitchen it was ....what a great choice, it was particularly chilly last night so we ate inside where they had a log fire roaring. I had lambs liver, hubby had chicken schnitzel.........we had starters of borek and imam bayaldi and shared the fig and ice cream dessert that seems to be synonymous with the place - all absolutely delicious ......can't believe it's taken us that long to eat  here ..ISO's wife had slipped the day before and broken her wrist, she has it in a cast for 6 weeks, such unfortunate timing at the beginning of the season. The waitress in Akin had cut her hand on a beer glass and was bandaged and Kadir at  Kaya has hurt his hand again too.....
Today I wandered down to Merkez for a coffee and to watch the world go by...it's really warm but lots of cloud too.......lunch was a picnic by the harbour, a massive sandwich each from the bakers, can of coke and bag of crisps ....all for less than £4.00...... back at the hotel pool now chilling.
I splashed out on some ball of foot cushion things in Gratis which seem to be doing a sterling job......tomorrow I think we are going to walk up to the aquaduct ???? Yildiz 3 booked for Sunday, doesn't the time fly when you are in Kalkan? 

th
Sent from my iPad

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
33 days to go

Started by Automan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

25 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 11:21:16 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
A few more days

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 03:56:19 PM
by lorilou
xx
Only 7 days to go !!!!!

Started by tessag41 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 08:53:53 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
days out

Started by molly on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 07:47:33 PM
by Lorretta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pirat Hotel?

Views: 2548
By: Pompeyalbie
Patara Beach