Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Introduction - travelling in August  (Read 11328 times)

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Introduction - travelling in August
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi All,

We're travelling to Kalkan in August (10th) and have been doing some research and stumbled across your very informative forum so thought we'd say hello and thank you for posting all this useful info!!
Expectations are that it will be very hot in August but we dont mind the heat usually, also that it will be very busy but the dates were unavoidable so busy it is!
We have some plans to do some day trips - Jeep Safari to Xanthos, Saklikent, and Patara, Kekova and maybe Meis. We have already booked the balcony table at Kucuk Ev (Small House) for the Friday night so we're pleased with that.
Do you guys have any more suggestions of trips that are must do or restaurants we should visit - I should point out that food wise we dont really want to be paying English prices and some of the harbour restaurants seem to be charging near that.
Should we carry some mosquito repellent etc?
Any other good tips please?

Kind regards

Lee n Kelly

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12910.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Introduction - travelling in August
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
Hello michiganstar and welcome to the forum. You have made a great choice with Kalkan and are already ahead of the game in terms of booking trips and a place to eat :)
Mosquito repellent is a MUST in Kalkan - I've found the locally produced versions are better than what you can buy in UK. You just need to find a high content of that dreadful stuff called Deet...! it will remove the dye from your clothing and any nail varnsih you might be wearing but it is the most effective method of keeping them at bay.
As a newbie of the female variety, I would say stick to flats...heels are hazardous in Kalkan but since they repaved the streets last year its definitely easier to get about in low heels, just maybe leave your Loboutins at home.
I would also say book a boat trip out of Kalkan harbour - one of the nicest ways to spend the day. We go on Yildiz boats but everyone has their favourite and they are all good - not recommending Yildiz BTW...dont want to fall into that trap ::) :P
There are hundreds of restaurants and the prices to vary so I would say take your time, look at the menu boards and make your choice. We didnt have a bad meal this year...Also, you mention the harbour restaurants being pricey - Marina is pretty good value if you have the set meal.
Other than that, Kelly will need a good waterproof, smudgeproof mascara in the August heat...Good job you like it hot as it will be sorchio.
Let us know how you get on :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I wish you a fabulous trip. Don't plan on going anywhere else in the near future though! The Kalkan bug is vicious and brings people back year after year. We ignored this advice but it got us too.

I agree a boat trip is a must out of the harbour, we have tried four and they have all been excellent. Also a day at a beach club is a nice way to spend a long hot lazy day. There are several to choose from and again we all have our favourites. Some are good for morning sunshine and others are good in the evening too. They all have sun beds and access into the sea and have food and drink available on the premises. Just type beach club into the "search" on this site and you will get loads of information.

A Traditional Turkish bath is also a good way to start your holiday. It is lovely and relaxing and your suntan will last so much longer and it prevents peeling. Again there are several places to choose from so again simply use the "search" facility.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
I would say that even the most expensive restaurant on the harbour is half of what you would pay in the UK for a restaurant of similar quality.  We met a young couple in June eating there and they were astounded at how reasonable the prices were.  So much so that they ate at every harbour restaurant during their holiday.  I too would second a boat trip, fantastic day out, excellent value including food.  Have a fab holiday!

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »
Thanks guys. We'll start looking at boat trips and maybe book a hammam each to start - we'll use the search to find a recommendation for a good one. Reading you guys' reviews about how you switch off when you get there and how you keep going back makes the wait even worse!! Cant wait to be there already.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »
Restaurants ... best value for money are the kebab places such as Hunker or Ata in town, our favorite is Degirmen trout farm in Islamlar.  Islamlar is a 'not to miss' place - with a meal or without - but you will need a car. Taxi will be very expensive.  You should also plan a trip to Kas.  The 25km coastline between Kalkan and Kas is truly spectacular.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
All brilliant advice, Atlantis is great for a Turkish bath.
Have a brilliant holiday.....you'll catch the bug, and beware, there's no known cure!  :laugh:

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum; it's a wealth of good advice, welcome suggestions and most importantly for me the holiday reports provide me with the Kalkan fix whilst at home.

So enjoy your holiday you will love Kalkan!

Don't forget the shopping - it's great too.
 :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:52:04 AM »
Hi Lee n Kelly and welcome to the forum.

You've been given great advice already so not much to add really. Some of the restaurants in Islamlar will arrange transport, at least I know Hasan at Bodamya Tepe will do and so does Adem of Adams restaurant on the Kas road. A lovely restaurant with breathtaking views - just do a search.

Don't dismiss all the harbour restaurants - it all depends on what you choose to eat and what kind of a dining experience you want as to what you will pay. Some of the rooftops are a similar price as the harbour and as K4E suggests, the Marina restaurant is really good value for money and the food is excellent. You really need to suss it out for yourselves. Definitely do a boat trip and maybe consider the Kaya BBQ trip?

You'll have a wonderful holiday and maybe bump into you out there as we are in Kalkan around that time too.  :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »
I can't really add to what everyone else has said only to say that Kalkan offers tremendous value for money and that I have never experienced London prices in any of the restaurants. The most expensive meal that I have enjoyed was 400TL which equates to £100. This included top quality wine, idyllic location and fabulous food. There  is plenty of choice that caters for any budget. You really will have a fabulous holiday and I'm confident that you will want to return year after year. The Kalkan bug is even more contagious than anything that you will have experienced to date. ☺

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
Thanks Guys - the Kaya trip looks like one we'll have to do - its more difficult deciding which ones NOT to do!!
Is there much to choose between the companies that run the excursions? Volume and Abbi seem reasonable?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
They are all much the same we have been with Abi, Adda, Volume and Define on excursions and all of them were great
One thing no-one tells you about Meis, which may send you into a panic the first time you go, they keep hold of your passports in Kas. This is normal practice and they are returned to you when you disembark back in Kas after your trip to Meis.

Offline docrown

• Mr D
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • Donny is Here >:)
    • Share Post
    • Your kitchen equipment supplier from Crown
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:47:24 AM »
Well I'm will traveling in this August too, and thanks to all people in this forums, I know what to do in Kalkan later. It was really a great decision to join this forum from the start  ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
Keeping the passports in Kas?

Surely her Britannic Majesty requires the bearer to pass unhindered - How do you prove who you are in Greece if Turkey has your passport?

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »
No idea how its all done, Chris_S but you hand your passport over in Kas and you don't get it back until you return from Meis. They may well take them on the boat and hand them over to customs as a job lot - I'm not sure but I think the idea is that you are trapped in Meis and cant go to anywhere else - part of the Greek/Turkish thing. When we hired a motorboat for the day BH had to leave his passport in Kalkan - I didn't for some reason..?
Anyway the whole point of posting it on here was so michiganstar was aware it's normal practice...we were a bit worried the first time we went and I would have liked to have had a "heads up" not to be concerned.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum michiganstar. Yes it's normal practice re taking your passports from you when visiting Meis, it is very alarming isn't it K4E that they keep hold of it, and to be honest, I honestly though we would never see it again, there was this chap on a motorbike going backwards and forwards from the ticket office to the ferry with the passports in a rucksack of sorts! but our passports were returned at the end of the day, so I wouldn't be worried if we go again, and it really is worth going over there, it's very quaint and very Greek! I see one of your trips to do is Kekova, this is one of favourite ones, so really worth doing too.  Have a fantastic holiday, and we may bump into you as we are out in August too  :D

Jayne

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
We visited Meis a few years ago and were asked by a Turkish friend to get some duty free drink. We had the same experience of handing our passports in before boarding the boat. When we went to the Duty Free Shop in Meis, I was wondering how we could prove who we were; needn't have worried as the girl in the Duty Free shop asked for my name and she looked at a list which had our names on it together with all other visitors. So if you need some hooch while your there it is a lot lot cheaper than in Turkey. By the way, it is a lovely place to visit.

Hi Jayne, hope you and Bob have a great time. We are back in September/October for 6 weeks!! Will look forward to your holiday blogs.. Best wishes Sandra & Graham (Tyros)

Cheers

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
One week to go  :)

Booked a day trip with Yildiz on Osman's boat which seems to be another highly recommended day out. We have most things packed but by looking at the webcams for Kalkan its only going to be shorts and t-shirt day and night. Got some good 50% deet mossie spray in case we cant find suitable out there.

Cant wait to leave now - we're off to Devon t see friends on Weds so its no more work from then to the 24TH August.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
You definitely won't need anything warmer....day or night. Local mozzie spray is good......I think it's called Off!

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
Been here a few days now and we love it - its very hot but that was to be expected. Eaten out at Chilies, Adana, Small House etc and loved them all except kalkan kebap which was a bit poor. We did the Kekova boat trip yesterday and ended up swimming with loggerhead turtles - amazing day out and by far our best day here. Roll on the rest of this holiday :-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
By way of introduction

Started by dearsley on Introduce Yourself

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2018, 03:55:38 PM
by Gelin
grin
Hello and introduction....

Started by Amndwr on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 08:50:03 PM
by Chucky
xx
Introduction

Started by rabicamail on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 07:25:14 AM
by elainecris
xx
New Member-Introduction

Started by MouMou on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 04:07:20 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal