Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Well Hello there  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Bexinlove

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Well Hello there
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »
 So we are returning to Kalkan for the 2nd time in 10 more sleeps  ;D Excited doesn`t come close! Have been avidly reading this forum for months and felt it is time to say hello properly  :D . Our 1st visit was in 2012 and can`t wait to see how Kalkan has changed although secretly hoping it has stood in a time warp :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12984.0

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
Re: Well Hello there
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »
5 more sleeps for us!! From reading the forum I'm fairly confident that the ambience and feel of Kalkan is much the same as it has been for the past six years. It is unfortunate that the fire destroyed some favourite haunts down by the beach but I'm confident that despite its inevitable growth Kalkan will remain a very special place.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:55 AM »
I think you will be very happy with the way things are!  Yes, there is a bit more football watching then i would like and probably one to many english breakfast signs, but it is in no way intrusive.  If you have been  reading my blog, you will know we lost an Iphone 6 plus and a wallet and were reuinted with both.....lost together but returned separately...where else would that happen?

Football habits and breakfast eating requirements may differ, but the people remain the same.  I went into a bag shop and whilst greeting  me warmly, the proprieter said " oh, where's David?" As he wanted to discuss motorcycles ...... Not interested in parting me with my hard earned cash.... The human touch!

We are planning to have a year away from Kalkan next year and it is going to be TOUGH!

Offline Bexinlove

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
Just 6 work days remaining now  ;D Will be doing some packing this sunday and buying last few bits, another pair of sandals  :D We are anxiously waiting to see how the fire has changed the harbour but from what i can make out it really doesn`t seem to have altered the beauty of the beach too much. I remember there being somewhere to buy coffees from on the beach is that still there? sorry have no idea what it was called, just that it was heavenly being able to amble up and buy our coffees and take them back down to our sunbeds :D . Even more exciting this year as accompanying me will me will be OH , sister her 2 children and my Mother, it is their first time and I can`t wait to watch them fall head over heels in love as we did in 2012. Haybo good luck with missing a year, i have been yearning for 3 and it hasn`t been easy   :o . Something we didnt do last time was get a takeaway and we are considering doing so this year on the night we arrive, however i fear it will be 11pm before we will arrive in kalkan so can anyone tell me what time Hunkars closes? also the best way to get in touch with them? Thanks guys  :D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:26:20 PM »
Hi Bexinlove,

Start your holiday right & go out to Ali Baba Soup kitchen open until 5am !

I went for a snooze after boat trip last holiday (I'm sure wine had nothing to do with sleepiness  :laugh:).  Woke at 10:30pm starving & craving a lamb kebab, so showered dressed & went out.  Finished the night drinking cocktails in Botanik past 2am.

A lovely night.

Lucy Lou

P.S.  The kebab at Soup Kitchen was delish.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
I agree with Lucy Lou, if you are arriving at 11pm, Soup Kitchen will still be open and serving my favourite spicy lentil soup  :)
Bexinlove didn't you ask about Hunkar's on another thread - I'm pretty sure I posted their website details for you..? You aren't viral marketing for them are you..? ;D ;D
Depending on where you are staying, I know Antler phoned ahead to Bread and More on Kalamar Road as they were staying just up from there and the restaurant stayed open for them.
The cafe at the beach is Pinar Bufe and it is still there along with another which now sells beer :)
Have a great stay...not long to go! Dont forget to tell us all about it on here :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bexinlove

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
Thanks Lucy lou not heard of the soup kitchen before but sounds good, where abouts in kalkan is it? The air in Kalkan can make you very "tired" if i remember rightly lol  ::)
 Thanks Kalkan4eva I propmise you I am not into marketing :) but am struggling to work out how to use this site a tad, being a real techno phobe! So happy to hear that i won`t have far to walk from the beach to grab a coffee :) and I will try to keep you updated as my holiday goes along although not sure i can access this site from my phone can i?
We are staying in a villa very close to the first school so where might be our nearest restaurant ? cafe ?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »
haha....you'll get the hang of it, Bexinlove :laugh:
So the Soup Kitchen is just a nickname for Ali Baba's restaurant which is on the left as you walk into town (just past the barriers). It's open late, so even if you arrive at midnight you will still be able to get food here. It's very basic, no frills so dont go with high expectations. Depending on how close to the First School you are, probably Cafe Ev or Our Home are your closest eateries - bit further down the hill into town there are quite a few more.
You should be able to access this site via your phone but always make sure you are using free wifi rather than roaming. A good few years ago our daughter ended up with a £400 for data roaming in Kalkan so to be on the safe side, turn it off.
Have fun :)

Offline Hullabaloo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
14 more sleeps for me, 2nd visit this year :)  tis my 14th visit since 2008, love Kalkan and its people soo much   :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour4

Views: 4160
By: irfan
Fethiye Harbour