Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: ATM Withdrawal Fees  (Read 8350 times)

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
ATM Withdrawal Fees
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
Hi All,

Do any of the banks/ATM's in Kalkan charge a 'local' fee for withdrawing Lira?

Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12312.0

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: ATM Withdrawal Fees
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
Hello Chillout,

Not as far as I know, it seems more down to your card/account & charges bank/building society makes.  There was a lot of advice about this earlier this year (pre-season I think April and earlier).  Try some searches & you should get loads of advice.

Good Luck

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Thanks for responding Lucy Lou.

I've recently got one of those Halifax Clarity cards specifically for foreign cash withdrawals. I wasn't charged any local transaction fees in the past with my other card (Nationwide debit - apart from their own fees).

Thanks again,

Chillout

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
I use my Nationwide flex account card in the ATM at Garanti bank to withdraw sterling and have never been charged any fees.  Can you withdraw lira with the Halifax Clarity without incurring fees?

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
Apparently yes. Apart from the 12% interest Halifax will charge you it is still the best card to take on holiday for cash withdrawals (according to moneysavingexpert.com) as long as you pay the balance as soon as you can.

I've used my Nationwide debit card for years for such withdrawals abroad, until they introduced their own charges. They sweetened this by offering free travel insurance to compensate.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
Hi Chillout I haven't been charged any fees by Nationwide and used my card as recently as last month in Kalkan?

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
Hi Charlie,

Nationwide charge £1 per withdrawal plus 2% transaction fee on top of that. This was with my Nationwide debit card (Flexaccount) ever since they stopped free foreign cash withdrawals. This is what I've been previously charged in Turkey and for instance the Canaries anyway?

Chillout

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Hi Again Charlie,

I used to use Nationwide (credit & debit) card until they made it a fee paying current account & got Clarity then.  This year I took relatively little cash with me (sterling or Turkish) & got most of my money out to pay the hotel bill towards the end of my 3 week stay.  I paid half of it off online before I even left (half because I forgot how much I'd taken out  ;D after getting in a flap when it was refused ???.  Turned out it was because I'd asked for more than the maximum allowed in one day.)  Anyway the statement fell days after I got back & it cost me 60p for about £1000.  Call that a result.  I did the sterling out & exchanging it for lira at the Is bank ATM.  Have you heard about that ?

Apart from the fortune I spent on the mobile call to Halifax it cost me tiny amounts in exchange fees (sterling to lira at Is) & this was more than covered by the better rate.  But rates at the various shops that exchange were always very close.  I think I worked out I got 15 YTL more on £1000 but I get a bit OCD about best rates/bargains !

Although I didn't take lira out with Clarity I believe it's the same as taking sterling i.e., just interest on cash no other fees.

Lucy Lou

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
If you draw sterling out of an atm using a Nationwide debit card they do not charge anything.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:48:25 PM by mel »

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Just checked my statement and definitely have not been charged a penny for withdrawing Sterling from the Garanti Bank in Kalkan using my Flexaccount (debit card).  I believe they charge to withdraw foreign currency ie Turkish Lira  when using this card but no charge for withdrawing sterling.  They also do not charge for using their credit card for foreign currency purchases ie paying in restaurants.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
Lucy Lou, I fear you have been misinformed, Nationwide FlexAccount is not a fee paying account. It is the newer FlexAccount Plus that charges a monthly fee. As far as I am aware, both types of account allow free withdrawal of Sterling on their linked debit cards.

Here's the links for you Chillout.

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11231.msg74901#msg74901

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10843.msg74626#msg74626

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11627.msg77840#msg77840

I seem to remember posting about 3 or 4 years ago on this subject but I guess older stuff has been cleared out of the system.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
I have been in touch with Nationwide about this and an email reply I got indicated a £1 + 2% charge for withdrawing sterling abroad. So, I then rang them and got told that the person I spoke to had talked to their supervisor and they confirmed this charge. They said that the charge had always applied and I told them to look back at my account for a few years and they would see that no charges had been made to my account.
Personally, I don't think that charges do apply for withdrawing sterling and they are confusing sterling withdrawal with foreign currency. However, I have withdrawn cash from my account to take out with me next month. I will take some sterling out while I am in Kalkan just to test the system again.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
I just moved from Nationwide flex account(where you are charged 2% and £1 fee for foreign currency) to the flexplus which has no charge for withdrawals. You have to have a certain amount going into the account and it costs £10 a month. However, you get that back in interest(up to £2.5k). You also get free travel, breakdown, phone insurance and other benefits so worth a look.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
On the advice of a member of their Banking Team, I just tried to upgrade my Halifax MasterCard to a Clarity Card so I can make free ATM cash withdrawals in Turkey. I was surprised when their Credit Card Team told me I could not do this. I could not even close my credit card account and open a Clarity account, as 'there has to be 6 clear months between applying for your next card'. So having had a mortgage with the Halifax for 30 years, a debit account that had never been overdrawn, and a credit card which has never had a missed payment - they are unable to help me. Meanwhile, any old Joe Soap with no history with the Halifax can walk in off the street and get one straight away. Seems like I am being penalised for being a loyal customer rather than rewarded. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
Yes......Stick it to them and take your business where you will be looked after ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Alce

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
after all the Halifax Clarity reviews on here I decided to apply...a big fat no...so tried the hubby..no there too. We too have a good credit history, although not loyal Halifax customers - not great for us but at least you know they are not just accepting anyone (even those who perhaps they should  ::)  ...

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »
After doing a scout around on Moneysavingexpert.com - I found some useful information on (of all places!) the Saga website: 
http://www.saga.co.uk/money/experts/money-abroad-five-golden-rules-part-two.aspx

- and for the over 50's there is a Saga Platinum card which has a lot of benefits when travelling abroad:
http://www.saga.co.uk/money/saga-credit-card.aspx?pid=mn

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
villa maintenance fees

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 04:19:59 PM
by Roxie
xx
Sterling withdrawal

Started by Lucy Lou on Money & Finance

5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 07:48:31 PM
by Lucy Lou
xx
Withdrawal symptoms already!

Started by elainecris on Introduce Yourself

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 07:13:03 PM
by maryjane
xx
kalkan withdrawal symptoms

Started by annie the tourist on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 08:16:19 PM
by keith

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal