Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Using ATM's  (Read 12979 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Using ATM's
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Lucy Lou, First Direct is part of HSBC.
I cant understand how people using HSBC cards to withdraw sterling aren't being charged but we are??? Maybe its a different type of account? I'm going to call them again and find out.
I know Haliax Clarity, Santander 123 and Nationwide don't charge for withdrawals...but obviously some HSBC customers also get this service free. We used TEB ATM to get sterling this year and IS Bank to exchange.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Thanks for  the information Amber.  we too have an HSBC account in Fethiye and UK.  I expressed my disappointment to the Fethiye branch that they have removed the HSBC ATM and Fethiye said they would pass on my comments in the hope head office might change their mind, think that is a long shot but more complaints to Fethiye HSBC might help.

Amber do you know if you can use your Turkish account HSBC card to withdraw either lira or sterling from TEB's ATM without charge as well?

K4E   there are different rules regarding charges for different HSBC accounts as you suspect.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
Ann - I am not sure, as not tried to use my Turkish HSBC card in it yet but I thought i would phone telephone banking tomorrow and ask which banks they have an agreement with - will update if I get any joy!

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 03:04:11 PM »
Thanks Amber, fingers crossed we can use the TEB ATM free with the Turkish accounts as well as the UK ones

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 01:18:28 PM »
Just thought I'd let you know that First Direct - although part of HSBC - have their own rules and the 2% charge is standard for all customers. They blame the banks abroad for charging them - of course they do ::)
Anyway a very nice lady from First Direct has refunded me £25 as a goodwill gesture for pointing out that the "non-sterling transaction fee" is quite misleading. This is why they consistently come top in customer satisfaction surveys...although I will continue to be charged if I take our sterling anywhere outside the UK :(

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
Anne - I have spoken to HSBC Turkey telephone banking - they tell me that they have no agreement with any of the other Turkish banks for withdrawing cash from an ATM without charge.They told me the charge is usually 5/6 lira.

I expressed my disappointment and told the guy (who spoke good English) that the HSBC machine had been removed from Kalkan.He said maybe it would be replaced but he had no knowledge of where the ATMs are placed and was just trying to be nice to me!To be helpful he asked if I had an account at another bank and that it might be helpful to have one!

So I can now withdraw sterling from my HSBC UK account at TEB for no charge but cant use my Turkish debit card to obtain lira without charge in Kalkan - thats according to telephone banking anyway!

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
Amber, HSBC Turkey is a bit of a pain,  I decided to email the Fethiye branch, and was also told that I will be charged for using their debit card at other ATMs, but at least I now know how much from your research.  Guess I will have to look at relying on TEB and the UK account, at least for the time being.

Many thanks for the information, very helpful to know in advance of arriving in Kalkan.

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
I recall old news of about six months ago regarding HSBC scaling back its international presence in some countries and Turkey was included in the list.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/hsbc-unveils-overhaul-of-global-operations-1433824955

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova

Views: 3551
By: blondie
Beautiful Kisla May 2011