Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions Please  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Suggestions Please
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
We're well into our final week here in Kalkan  :'( but already thoughts are turning to Holiday 2011.  I adore Kalkan and would cheerfully come back here year after year but unfortunately the steepness of the terrain has proved too much for my mum who has some issues with mobility following a stroke a few years ago.  For this reason I am going to have to look elsewhere next year.  Can anyone suggest a Kalkan-esque destination which is missing only the hills?  I know that there is nowhere quite like Kalkan but what I am looking for is somewhere of similar size and general flavour, somewhere which is well served by shops, bars and restaurants but has avoided large scale commercial development and thus mass market tourism. All ideas welcome  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6385.0
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
Re: Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »
Paxos.
Small Greek island 10 miles off Corfu. Very few hotels though, it's mostly villa accommodation ...

We 'ended up' (!) in Kalkan as a result of wanting our Paxos fix but knowing that their season was ever by the time we could get away.

The tour operator we spoke to at Tapestry asked for our holiday wish list (sunshine, scenery, friendliness, nice food, harbor, etc) and our favorite destination (Paxos) and immediately made the comparison with Kalkan.

She knew both destinations really well. And she was right.

Paxos has no airport so it's a short boat ride (or sea plane) to the Island. There are hills, but nothing like Kalkan - mostly to get from one of the three main coastal villages to the next, which you'd generally do by local bus or car.

Because our available holiday time is again falling in October, it's Kalkan for us in three weeks, but we'd still rank Paxos as one of our (two) favorite holiday places.

My OH and I were discussing the same issue only last night - my mum & dad in law would love Kalkan and although fairly mobile 82's they'd still have trouble getting about!
Enjoy your research ...
if you can walk you can dance

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
Re: Suggestions Please
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi Firecat!

There was a recent thread on this that might be useful. Just pop "Alternatives to Turkey and Kalkan" in the Search Box and some interesting stuff should come up.

cheers

Antler

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Suggestions please!

Started by AllanChris on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 08:37:43 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Take away suggestions

Started by Solz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 07:07:54 AM
by onelove
xx
Departure day suggestions

Started by Lancs lass on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 01:05:52 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Islamlar Suggestions

Started by Pompeyalbie on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 10:17:35 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fener Bar

Views: 2950
By: Bob & Jayne
fisherman kalkan