Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to stay and what to do in Istanbul  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Where to stay and what to do in Istanbul
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:13:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We are looking to stay in Istanbul next September for a long weekend before heading off to Kalkan... does anyone have any reccommendations of where to stay (Would like somewhere very memorable as it will be the start of our Honeymoon!) and also where to go, as in a "must see"

Thanks very much  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2483.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Where to stay and what to do in Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Hey Jon - Jules going to make a decent chap of you then..!!   :-*

Not sure how memorable you want - but we stayed in a really lovely small friendly hotel called The Apricot hotel and our room (I can look up the room number for you if you want!) had a small balcony and had the most amazing view of the Blue Mosque which I personally found quite breathtaking.  You will find lots of good reviews of this hotel through TA - it is very highly rated and I must say it was great.  The bathroom was fantastic and had its own little hamam - so you can do your own DIY turkish bath on Jules..!!!  ;)

Well - for a long weekend - I guess you are meaning 3 days and therefore you should, IMHO, do the top sights - therefore Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque - all located within a stones throw of each other (and the Apricot Hotel) and possible to do all that in 2 days or less (Topkapi takes the most amount of time).  You should also try to squeeze in visit to Taksim and take a trip up Istikal Caddesi - the main old shopping street in Taksim and take a ride on the old tram that shuttles up and down.  You should also walk across the Galata Bridge, watch them all fishing and visit the fish restaurants underneaath the bridge and of course visit the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar and then a trip up the Galata Tower for the most amazing views across Istanbul. 

The first time that we visited - we spent 4 days and did all the above plus the Suleyman Mosque which is also fab and a cruise to the Princes Islands - and when we went back this summer we visited the Dolmabahce Palace and did a cruise up the Bosphorurs towards the Black Sea.  But I think, for me, the most important sites are the ones in my first paragraph...!!

If you want anymore info - just shout!  I have to say that the location of the Apricot in Sultanahmet - with that most amazing view to the Blue Mosque which inspired me both during the day and the night when it was all lit up was fantastic - the atmosphere at night around that area is lovely and there are loads of nice restaurants to choose from.  I have to say 1 thing though - the Immam of the Blue mosque, no doubt is the highest office - sort of equivalent of the pope I guess...could not sing - the Kalkan mosque immam has by far a much nicer to listen to voice..!!   ;D ;D

Cheers!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:46 PM »
OOOOOOOH, congratulations to you and Julie on your forthcoming nuptials.
May I suggest that Brooksie and his new bride will be able to help as they honeymooned in Istabul before returning to Kalkan this September?
Any other details such as the date and venue that you may care to share with us?
Joan

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
i would not reccommend the "Pera Palace" avoid it if you can ..history of Orient Express is fine(hotels origin)Agatha Christie wrote "murder on the Orient Express" while staying there ..Ataturk used to stay there ..but it is is horrible...damp musty ,broken beds,part of it had flooded and just left,prices are highest in istanbul for food and drink.very dated!!.... if you are only there for a weekend it might be worth doing a guided tour(most hotels offer this)..all the mosques and Topkapi palace..price was £15 pound each  which was including english speaking guide,coach ,..that leaves the next dayto yourselves for the Bazaar...Brilliant!!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
I would recommend staying in the Sultanahment district, very close to all the must see sites.

We stayed in a small but comfy hotel called the Saba hotel, very basic but clean, about 1 minute from the Blue Mosque, really good location.

Istanbul is a wonderful city, even though it is a massive place & modern it is still very Turkish which I liked.

To add to Felicity''s list, a must do is a Turkish bath, the best is Cagaloglu, this is the most famous one, it really is a proper Turkish bath, not like the ones you get in hotels.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »
Jon
Congratulations to you both.
We did what you are doing and started our Honeymoon in Istanbul. It is a fantastic place to spend a few days.
We stayed just off Taksim square and have to say the hotel was fabulous. We preferred that location because Taksim is where it all happens at night. Great restaurants, bars that have live music and only a 3 minute walk from the hotel.
We got taxis to the Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar etc. at an average cost of 7YTL (not like Kalkan).
I have details of a good transfer company that will do a return trip to the airport for 40 euro.
We booked our hotel through British Airways and got a good deal with the flights included. We then booked an internal flight to Dalaman with Turkish Airlines for 350YTL for the 2 of us return.
The hotel is called the Larespark, they have a good website, I''ll send you the link if you need it.
Cruising on the Bosphorus at sunset was our highlight, very romantic.
Got some pics if you want to have a look.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Genie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »
We were in Istanbul in May and had a wonderful time.  We stayed at the Empress Zoe in the Sultanhamet area, really convenient to the main sightseeing attractions and restaurants, really recommend it.  If you pay in cash they will also give you a discount. 

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone - would love to see some photos Brooksie  :)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
Yes, please Brooksie, post and share :laugh:

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
Jon
Where do you want them put up?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
In the gallery would be good in other resorts...

http://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=3

if thats ok?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons in Istanbul at all ?

Just looked at TA and another popular choice seems to be the Sirkeci Konak Hotel
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:10:00 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
Hi Jon

Not stayed at the Four Seasons but been shown around and had drinks there, which was a very pleasant experience. G&T was served on a small tray and all the components separately presented. It would be a lovely place to stay. A little bit cheaper is the Sultan Ahmet Sarayi (Palace) which has lovely bathrooms like a mini turkish bath, the Empress Zoe is a bit more bohemian but also very nice.
I love the Basilica Cisterns, & to go to Otakoy at the weekend for atmosphere and small market. The Tunel between Galata and Beyoglu, and a root around the antique shops is Beyoglu is great for old photos.
Also on my next visit I want to go to the Parfumier that ''Lemon Lady'' used to speak about on TA, worth a search, they with make you a personalised fragrance.
Finally but a copy of Time Out on arrival (they do an Istanbul one in English) which will tell you of any special events at that time.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone

Anyone know much about either the Ciragan Palace Kempinski Hotel or the Sumahan - Both look very nice

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 03:30:29 PM »
I''m travelling to Istanbul at the beginning of December with my daughter. We are flying into Sabiha Gokcen airport and are staying in the Beyazit area near the Grand Bazaar. Can anyone please recommend a transfer company who are efficient and reasonably priced? Many thanks.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »
PM me and I''ll send you the details of the company we used in September who were great.
Mark

Offline distalbans

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
We are just back from a long weekend in Istanbul - our first trip there but 4th time round for the friends we went with!  That just says what a fabulous place it is!  I''d thoroughly agree with the best sights to see - Blue mosque, cistern, grand bazaar, spice bazaar, Galata bridge and tower and we also went on a short boat trip up the Bosphorus.  Also, having tea in the park below the Topkapi overlooking the Bosphorus on a sunny day - fantastic!  Will visit the Topkapi itself next time as I''m told the harem is a must!

Also - do go to the pudding shop (Lale restaurant) in Sultanahmet - the rice puddings and creme caramels are out of this world!  And have a fish sandwich by the Galata bridge for ytl 1.50!

We stayed at the Yasmak Sultan which is right next to the Topkapi and 5 mins from the Galata bridge.  Very central and very comfy.  It has a hamam which we used (great amusement as there was only a male masseur and we three girls, but he was absolutely charming!) - what a great way to spend a rainy afternoon!  I''d recommend the hotel (4 star) for position and lovely rooftop restaurant/breakfast room and bar.

We flew easyjet to Sabiha Gokcen and got a taxi outside to take us to our hotel.  Unfortunately there was a huge traffic jam on the approaches to the Bosphorus bridge (which I gather is always a black spot but not usually that bad) - consequently our taxi ride was 80 ytl instead of 45 which we''d been told.  Plus our driver hadn''t a clue where he was taking us, even with the address written out for him, but luckily our friends had been before and managed to direct him.  For the return journey we decided to take one of the shuttle minibuses booked through the hotel and paid around ytl25 each.  As luck would have it,  we travelled back on republic day (29th Oct) which is a public holiday and strangely the roads were empty (not like uk) so we got to the airport in a record time of just under an hour!   
I''d say the shuttle option is certainly cheaper - the only downside is that you have to leave your hotel at the time the shuttle picks you up which can be a bit early and mean you have some hanging around at the airport.

So.... "lucky you" to anyone who''s visiting Istanbul.  I hope to go back again next year.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Somewhere to stay

Started by tamzin1 on Accommodation and Hotels

9 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 04:04:34 PM
by fidimax
recycled
Where to stay,please help!!!

Started by mwhittles on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 12:54:52 PM
by mwhittles
xx
Where to stay?

Started by bcastle on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 06:56:36 AM
by Derbyshire
xx
WHERE TO STAY

Started by TC on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 05:21:16 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal