Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Archeological Sites nr Kalkan  (Read 2288 times)

Offline wendy1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Archeological Sites nr Kalkan
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
Hi
We will be coming to Kalkan for the first time in August.  I was wondering if anyone has advice about the best archeological sites to visit while we are there.  We will have a hire car but Im a little nervous and was wondering which sites are the most accessible and not too far off the beaten track.

If anyone has any advice then that would be great:)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9639.0

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Archeological Sites nr Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
Oh gosh there are loads!!! A book by Tricia Emptage "The Road to Ruins" is worth reading if you can find it. I would also suggest as a sort of shortcut that you look on websites that offer tours in the area and then google each place for more information. Major work has been carried out at Patara which is very close and accessible, Letoon, Xanthos, Tlos, Kekova (good boat trip) and Myra are all accessible. Enjoy Toni

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: Archeological Sites nr Kalkan
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
Hi wendy

There at least a dozen wonderful sites within an easy drive of Kalkan.  You should not miss Pinara, Letoon and Xanthos.  You can combine a trip to Patara with time at the beach there.  All are easily accessible and none 'off the beaten track'.

You can Google them all for more information.  My personal favourite is Pinara.

I do wonder however if you realise that in August, the temperature here will be at least 38 degrees centigrade, often considerably hotter (100 + degrees fahrenheit)  None of the sites offer any shade and exploring them at that time of year can be quite dangerous, it is very easy to get heat/sunstroke.

Today it is 34 degrees and so hot that you are exhausted after just 10 minutes in full sun.  If you do decide to go sightseeing in August, go as early as you can in the morning, wear a hat and sunblock and take plenty of water.

You will find the sites almost deserted at that time of year as very few tourists even think about doing anything active in such heat.

Whatever you decide, this is an area of quite stunning beauty and you can still have some wonderful experiences just driving through the countryside in your air-conditioned hire car.  There are dozens of small villages to explore and in all of them you will be completely safe and unmolested by anyone except perhaps the odd goat.

lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Best Web Sites

Started by Firecat on Accommodation and Hotels

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 07:55:08 PM
by Firecat
xx
Web cam sites in other resorts

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 10:15:10 PM
by Chucky
xx
TAILOR - MADE TRIP TO HISTORIC SITES

Started by Alfaman on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 09:06:31 PM
by itstime
xx
Any rental owners find their property information on sites without permission?

Started by mark on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 10:58:33 PM
by kal1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal