Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Meis  (Read 6509 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Meis
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
We're looking to book a day trip to Meis in May. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Is it best to go on a regular excursion with one of the tour operators - looks like Club Lycia charge £40 a head or charter a boat from Kas? Capt Ergun does a day trip and his website & Trip Adviser reviews look great.. Has anyone been there with him?

Cheers,

PW

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10795.0
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: Meis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
I think Meiss is probably worth half a day rather than a full one. Probably be better to combine it with something else if possible. Trouble is you have to have your passport stamped so whoever organises it takes them off you at the beginning of trip and then on return to Kas they have to go to the Turkish authorities so another wait there.
Mind you at the duty free in Meiss you can get a nice bottle of Metaxa. There is also a cash machine on the island. Find the dining experience in the Tavernas totally different surrounded by about 20 cats but you can get a lovely pork chop there.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »
Meis is effectively a half day trip anyway. The boats from Kaş go over in convoy and arrive around 11.00am then depart at about 4.00 to 4.30pm. It is just such a contrast to Turkey, and to me, is like having a mini holiday in the middle of a holiday. As Joycie mentions, pork is available in most, if not all, the restaurants and bacon can be purchased from the shop on most days.
The duty free shop is not much bigger than a garden shed, and doesn't stock a huge range of goods, wine or spirits.
Beware the guys selling boat tickets on the dockside in Kaş, they can try to rip you off. We usually go via 'Late Escapes', (taking the Dolmus from and back to Kalkan,) and buying our tickets on the day from their office in Kaş that looks out over the harbour.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline cptergun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
    • boattripturkey.com
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
There are two companies who runs ferries everyday during summer season. Prices are fixed and nobody will rip you off. They charge 20 Euro Per person. Kahramanlar Ferry Lines and Meis Express are the two of them. If you dont want to wait on the que and want to decide your own schedule you can also hire a private boat.

There several things which has to be done during your visit to Meis. Blue Grotto is must I think. Not only visiting the cave also you need to swim with your snorkelling gears in the cave. Dont forget to bring your suits with you. To visit the cave you should be there on the right time. Weather has to be calm and water level has to be down to get in to cave otherwise you cant get in to cave because of the sea level. If you are lucky enough you might see a seal in the cave. But please dont forget to bring your swim suits and yoru snorkelling gears.

After a nice visit to the Cave you can have a lunch at the one of the taverns by the port.

If you are fit enough I can highly recommend you to walk up the mountain and castle as well .

On the way back you can collect your drinks from the duty free which you ordered on your arrival to the Island.

If you need further information please feel free to Ask.

Best Regards

Cpt. Ergun
Kas, Kalkan and Kekova’s premier daily boat trip & gulet charter operator in Turkey.
         www.boattripturkey.com

No1 Things to do In Kas on Tripadvisor

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
i think Meis is a lovely place for a day trip.Its very different to Kalkan and to wander around the back streets is very pleasant.Theres a museum,castle and church and lots of renovated houses.You can swim,visit the little shops,walk or just sit in one of the cafes around the harbour and watch the world go by.Its great to see so much renovation of the old buildings,the island has a very varied history.
You can buy a variety of pork products but the duty free is small and has a very limited range.
The trip over is under 30 minutes and not too scarey! The boats used to go around 10.15 but havent been for about a year so maybe thats changed.
Its really interesting to be there on one of the days when the big ferries arrive - a real greek drama!
Its a really nice day out and I will visit again this year.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Cpt. Ergun, I know from what happened to me last year when I asked a guy at a stand on the quayside for tickets. At least 2 or 3 people in my party witnessed the amount he quoted me and that was 10 - 20 TL above the normal rate, each.
Luckily, I had done research online the night before. So, as I said, beware.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
Sounds a lovely trip, may well go too this year.  Does the Dolmus run frequently to Kas every morning though?

Jayne

Offline M n M

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
We were told at the Meis Express office in Kas, that the price this year will be 25 euros, although the web site said 20 euros.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure the dolmus does go to Kas regularly.  :-* :-*

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
Looked up on KTLN website:

Kapıtaş & Kaş Service - departures daily 0900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400.  Return service leaves at 1500, 1600, 1700.

This is dolmus service.
 :) :) :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
There is also the regular  Bati Antalya Tur midi-bus too. The first one is 07.25 (Kas -08.00), then 08.25 (Kas -09.00),and 09.15, (Kas -10.00). Guess the first is too early and the last too late, so Hobson's I'm afraid. I did have a picture of the timetable at the Otogar on my phone but, seem to have deleted it.
However, courtesy of KTLN, here is a link to the bus' site timetable http://www.batiantalyatur.net/?Bid=197908
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:21:16 PM by BubblesG »

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Yes the dolmus runs between Kalkan and Kas regularly.When we were making 90 day visa trips to Meis we would catch the bus on the D400 above Kalkan and be in Kas by 9am, each time,no problem.There are at least 2 buses per hour.One is the Kas service and other the Antalya bus.Returning to Kalkan also not a problem.The fare is 5 tl.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for the Dolmus information, am planning our trip now!

Jayne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Meis is a lovely day trip, I would highly recomend it.
Two things to remember, the cash machine isn't the most reliable so make sure you take some Euros with you. Secondly the shops do close for an hour or so in the afternoon for "siesta". On our first trip we decided to leave pork product shopping until an hour before we needed to board the boat back (it was July and pretty hot) and discovered everywhere had closed :( We did find a tiny little "supermarket", no bigger than your average hallway, still open and managed to get a few sausages and some bacon but nothing as nice as we'd seen earlier in the bigger stores.
We've been under our own steam and also with Adda.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
meis

Started by Baggy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
by Baggy
xx
Meis

Started by Bdancer on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 01:19:22 PM
by felicity
xx
Meis

Started by cleworthallray on Kas and Meis

7 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
by DRBD
xx
Meis

Started by kalkan4eva on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 01:06:20 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

IMG_2069_JPG.jpg

Views: 2704
By: PaulineBurns
Sunset